Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bontrager Duo Trap S + Edge 1030 Plus

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 10-02-22, 03:05 PM
ewdiller

Bikes: 2022 Trek Emonda SL5, 2022 Trek Marlin 6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts

Recently purchased the Duotrap and have paired it with the Garmin 1030 Plus. Cadence works fine ... i spin the pedals and i see the cadence show up. Problem is i spin the pedals and the speed doesnt show. Called Bontrager and they didnt know what the problem was .. they sent me another Duotrap and I have the same issue. I called Garmin and they said their computer is pairing with the unit so it must be a Bontrager issue.

Anyone else having an issue with this and did you get it to work?
Old 10-02-22, 04:14 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I don't understand what you are saying. Speed won't show unless the bike is moving.

Old 10-02-22, 04:19 PM
ewdiller

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I don't understand what you are saying. Speed won't show unless the bike is moving.
so when the magnet passes the sensor .. it won’t register the speed unless im actually moving the bike?

Old 10-02-22, 04:23 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
I see a magnet on the wheel. Does speed show if the wheel is spinning? If not, then the 1030 is not seeing the sensor.

Old 10-02-22, 04:27 PM
ewdiller

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I see a magnet on the wheel. Does speed show if the wheel is spinning? If not, then the 1030 is not seeing the sensor.
the speed shows intermittently… cadence shows up fine
Old 10-02-22, 06:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,943 Times in 1,905 Posts
might have a weak magnet. Try a new stronger one, or if there's enough clearance, space the magnet closer to the sensor. A piece of rubber cut to fit & with a hole made in its center should work. Looks like you have a few threads protruding for adding a rubber spacer.
Old 10-03-22, 06:28 AM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Like above the magnet may not be strong enough. Also hard to see but the magnet location can be touchy. I think mine is shifted toward the rim a little more.
Old 10-03-22, 06:56 AM
ewdiller

Originally Posted by biker128pedal
Like above the magnet may not be strong enough. Also hard to see but the magnet location can be touchy. I think mine is shifted toward the rim a little more.
Ive added a spacer to get the magnet closer to the sensor with no luck and have moved the magnet up and down the spoke and still no luck ... nice idea by Bontrager but think i ll be adding garmin sensors instead.

This shouldnt be this hard to get working.
Old 10-03-22, 10:27 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6175 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
My son has a Bontrager Duo Trap that he uses with a Edge 1030 Plus and several other Garmin devices before the 1030+. He's never had an issue. I don't know if there is any info you can glean from the LED's or other stuff for troubleshooting, but I'll try to ask if he comes by.

It is hard to say what is at fault though. The Garmin or the Duo Trap. You might do a soft reset on your Edge just to make certain any updates got applied correctly and are in full effect. Maybe take an in depth look at how the 1030 shows the paring and be certain that it doesn't just see the Duo Trap as a cadence sensor only.

Are you sure you gave it enough time to register speed after spinning the wheel? Also, with some of the much earlier Garmin Edges, speed sensors were sometimes quirky for some when not moving as Garmin seemed to figure that if you were on a trainer in the house, you didn't need to know your speed. And I quite agree that on a trainer, speed is meaningless. But I think they've changed that. But since I don't use a Garmin device with a trainer, I don't really know.
Old 10-03-22, 10:47 AM
ewdiller

Originally Posted by Iride01
My son has a Bontrager Duo Trap that he uses with a Edge 1030 Plus and several other Garmin devices before the 1030+. He's never had an issue. I don't know if there is any info you can glean from the LED's or other stuff for troubleshooting, but I'll try to ask if he comes by.

It is hard to say what is at fault though. The Garmin or the Duo Trap. You might do a soft reset on your Edge just to make certain any updates got applied correctly and are in full effect. Maybe take an in depth look at how the 1030 shows the paring and be certain that it doesn't just see the Duo Trap as a cadence sensor only.

Are you sure you gave it enough time to register speed after spinning the wheel? Also, with some of the much earlier Garmin Edges, speed sensors were sometimes quirky for some when not moving as Garmin seemed to figure that if you were on a trainer in the house, you didn't need to know your speed. And I quite agree that on a trainer, speed is meaningless. But I think they've changed that. But since I don't use a Garmin device with a trainer, I don't really know.
I did a hard reset (soft reset didnt work) and added the speed/cadence sensor and its working perfectly ... will add a few of the other sensors one at a time to see if there was a conflict.

Thank you for the information !!!

Last edited by ewdiller; 10-03-22 at 11:02 AM.
Likes For ewdiller: