Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Zwift and the joy of finishing?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-19, 01:23 PM
tntyz

Bikes: 2018 Domane SL7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts

My outdoor rides typically hit a couple of local points of interest, have spots where I can get water and food, and always end up back at home. Zwift rides seem different to me. I end up setting arbitrary goals like riding for 60 minutes, climbing 1,000', burning x calories. When I hit that goal I just quit riding and abandon my virtual bike at the side of the virtual road. My point is that in Zwift I don't have that same sense of accomplishment of completing a ride like I feel in real life.

How do you deal with this sense of loss?
Old 01-05-19, 01:27 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I have the drive to get to level 20, that is my next level up and I am really wanting the tron bike. Been working on that for some time. think after getting the tron bike I will be "empty"
Old 01-05-19, 01:47 PM
u235

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 86 Posts
I don't have an answer for you and gave up trying to find one for myself. I ride the elliptical and some combination of other non bike cardio/strength on a regular consistent routine instead. If I didn't have those other things, I'd end up doing nothing at all instead of the bike. I just can't ride a bike inside.

What is your normal riding consist of? Solo, group, or of both?

Last edited by u235; 01-05-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-05-19, 03:58 PM
aspalmat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Honestly, that is exactly one, of many, reasons I like Zwift. I can ride for as long and as hard as I want. I don't HAVE to make it home. When I'm toast, I can just stop. For me, I think this leads to longer rides, not shorter. My out door rides are typically 20 - 30 miles depending on what I want to do. On Zwift, if I go 30 miles, and still feel good, I just keep on riding. No pre-determined stop point. This is my first winter on a trainer, and I LOVE Zwift. I tried Rouvy, but didn't like having to pick a pre determined route. This one was to short, that one was too long etc. Not on Zwift, just ride till I'm done.

I also think Zwift does a good job of keeping people engaged. When The New York map was released, it was the Tour of New York. Then I found the monthly Fondo's. Now it's Tour de Zwift. Add in the group rides, races, and the running component, and there is always something to look forward to.

Ride on!
Old 01-05-19, 07:27 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by aspalmat
Honestly, that is exactly one, of many, reasons I like Zwift. I can ride for as long and as hard as I want. I don't HAVE to make it home. When I'm toast, I can just stop.

I also think Zwift does a good job of keeping people engaged. When The New York map was released, it was the Tour of New York. Then I found the monthly Fondo's. Now it's Tour de Zwift. Add in the group rides, races, and the running component, and there is always something to look forward to.

Ride on!
Yes!

You can finish the loop if you want ... or do two loops ... or not.

One of the things I did during the winter was to ride so that I hit at least 3 sprints. I'm NOT a sprinter in real life, but for some reason I enjoy the sprints on Zwift.
Old 01-05-19, 07:55 PM
Bif

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by aspalmat
Honestly, that is exactly one, of many, reasons I like Zwift. I can ride for as long and as hard as I want. I don't HAVE to make it home. When I'm toast, I can just stop. For me, I think this leads to longer rides, not shorter. My out door rides are typically 20 - 30 miles depending on what I want to do. On Zwift, if I go 30 miles, and still feel good, I just keep on riding. No pre-determined stop point. This is my first winter on a trainer, and I LOVE Zwift. I tried Rouvy, but didn't like having to pick a pre determined route. This one was to short, that one was too long etc. Not on Zwift, just ride till I'm done.

Ride on!
I have to agree. This is my first winter indoors and I started on a kickr snap in November with Zwift and Rouvy...fairly quickly I ended up on just Zwift and for Xmas, I got a Neo. I am thoroughly enjoying riding indoors now on zwift. I do the Zwift training 4-5 days a week and then a free ride on the weekend. It is frickin great! When I started, I thought and felt, man this is the hardest 18 miles I have ever done. get me off this bike!
Now, I just go till I'm done...30 miles each ride is no problem. I have dallied with a drunken saturday night ride a few times too... good stuff Find me in a couple hours lol
Old 01-07-19, 05:57 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
There are a lot of choices on Zwift:
  • Just get on and ride, get off when you feel done.
  • Do one of the pre-defined courses/loops - see the sights, stop when you finish the loop.
  • Join a group ride, hang with a bunch of others - when it is done you can keep riding if that wasn't enough
  • Do a workout or group workout.
  • Try a race.
I cycle through those, depending on what group events are scheduled when I feel like/get the time to ride on the trainer. Definitely enough variety for me, keeps the boredom away.

One thing I have found though: with road riding, I will do much longer rides, with a rest stop typically every 20-25 miles or 90 minutes or so. Riding Zwift, I pretty much ride until I stop and then I turn everything off - my longest ride has been about 1:40. The rest stop thing just doesn't seem to compute for me when I'm in the basement!
Old 01-07-19, 09:28 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I did a metric century with a group last month - 25 laps of that damn volcano. OMG so boring, but the group kept eveything moving (and they had 2 5 min. breaks too, which is weird on a trainer) I could never ride for more then 30 min. before I found zwift. I did TWO rides that were > 3 hours on zwift last year.

I also hate doing laps of anything, as a normal rule, and there aren't really any long courses in zwift, so the jungle route (road to ruins) or a group ride are my favorites. Or "tour de ..... " events, can't help but push my self hard on those.
Old 01-07-19, 10:54 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
As a non road rider, Zwift actually creates useful goals. Something... interesting. I am used to trees flying by my face. Honestly Zwift gives me the training, netflix keeps me on the bike, and my brain just begs to be out on a trail

When I get out on a road ride and within 10 minutes can't wait to figure out a way home (unless I am riding some street or urban).
Old 01-07-19, 12:21 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
9 times out of 10, if I'm on zwift, I'm doing a specified workout. I stop when it's done. Yesterday I finally did a group ride (Tour de Zwift). I got on late but pretty quickly found a small group to work with and after a bit we kept picking up riders who'd gotten dropped from the lead group until there were about 10-15. Just like the real world. At one point, I would have stopped if it was just me, but the group dynamic kept me going to finish the loop. It was pretty fun.
Old 01-07-19, 02:22 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
is there a virtual water fountain or toilet zwift? such that you could spot it and slow down for it, and watch your avatar goes into the loo or refill the water bottle?
Old 01-07-19, 04:41 PM
jwh

Bikes: Trek EX9.8, Cervelo S3, Eddy Mercyx Mourenx 69 disc, Intense Carbine,

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpescatore
There are a lot of choices on Zwift:
  • Just get on and ride, get off when you feel done.
  • Do one of the pre-defined courses/loops - see the sights, stop when you finish the loop.
  • Join a group ride, hang with a bunch of others - when it is done you can keep riding if that wasn't enough
  • Do a workout or group workout.
  • Try a race.
I cycle through those, depending on what group events are scheduled when I feel like/get the time to ride on the trainer. Definitely enough variety for me, keeps the boredom away.

One thing I have found though: with road riding, I will do much longer rides, with a rest stop typically every 20-25 miles or 90 minutes or so. Riding Zwift, I pretty much ride until I stop and then I turn everything off - my longest ride has been about 1:40. The rest stop thing just doesn't seem to compute for me when I'm in the basement!
I agree, I love Zwift in the winter and bad weather.
Do the group rides, races ect..
Make sure to sign up on Zwift power.com to track progress!
Old 01-07-19, 04:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
I tried it but didnt like it. indoor training helps maintain the desired fitness, & I never get any flats or taco's!
Old 01-07-19, 05:13 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
I don’t set specific goals, other that faster PRs in sprints and moving on to higher levels to unlock jerseys, bikes, wheels etc.

I give out lots of Ride Ons and I like getting them as well.

BTW, @TrojanHorse is a total beast on Zwift. He has amassed insane miles with tons of climbing.

I agree with him, before Zwift I had to struggle to do 30 minutes in the trainer. Now I regularly ride 35 - 45 minutes at a time. On days when I cannot ride outdoors (most recently when I was recuperating from a broken left ankle) I can easily do 1 hour ride.

Like anything else in life, Zwifting is what you make it. You get as much or as little as you want.

Last edited by eja_ bottecchia; 01-07-19 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 07:56 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I wonder if I might jump in here with some Zwift questions. I'm considering using it when I can't get outside to ride. My first attempt to install, yesterday, failed with a Z114 error. I'm pretty sure I got past the point where I can link it to Strava.

Fast forward to today, after Google research it seemed my best fix for the Zwift error was to completely uninstall and delete everything and start over, which I did.. successfully, one of the slowest software installs I've ever experienced!! Went for my first ride as a free trial during the 7 day freebie period, 6-7 miles around Central Park.

At that point decided to end it and see how it would look on Strava. Nothing transferred and I was never given an opportunity to link them on my second reinstall.

Some questions, will Zwift transfer saved data to Strava during the free trial period?

​​​​​​If so, how can I find the setting location to re-link them? Google searches turned up instructions that don't match my screen layout.

I think I'll like it, just need to iron out some things. Thanks in advance, I know it's a lengthy post.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 01-07-19 at 08:01 PM.
Old 01-07-19, 08:01 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I
Some questions, will Zwift transfer saved data to Strava during the free trial period?
Yes (at least it does for me).

​​​​​​
If so, how can I find the setting location to re-link them? Google searches turned up instructions that don't match my screen layout.
I don't remember it being an issue, and I definitely did it after setup.

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/link...form-B137lM2Fm

​​​​​​
I think I'll like it, just need to iron out some things. Thanks in advance, I know it's a lengthy post.
I've been free-trialing it for a couple of years now...
Old 01-07-19, 08:03 PM
bobwysiwyg

"I've been free-trialing it for a couple of years now..."
How?
Old 01-07-19, 08:18 PM
bobwysiwyg

Originally Posted by wgscott
Yes (at least it does for me).
​​​
I don't remember it being an issue, and I definitely did it after setup.

https://support.zwift.com/en_us/link...form-B137lM2Fm
​​​​​​..
Read through the link, will give a try tomorrow, thanks.
Old 01-09-19, 10:30 PM
alias5000

Bikes: HP Velotechnik Streetmachine GTE, 2015 Devinci Silverstone SL4, 2012 Cannondale Road Tandem 2, Circe Morpheus, 2021 Rose Backroad, 2017 Devinci Hatchet

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I've been free-trialing it for a couple of years now...
And it works best, when you only cycle uphills! The steeper, the better.
Old 01-09-19, 10:39 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
"I've been free-trialing it for a couple of years now..."
How?
I'm not sure, but it keeps telling me I have 10 km left. I paid for a couple of months, and then let it lapse. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Edit: Those days are now gone.

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 01-10-19 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-09-19, 10:50 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by tntyz
My outdoor rides typically hit a couple of local points of interest, have spots where I can get water and food, and always end up back at home. Zwift rides seem different to me. I end up setting arbitrary goals like riding for 60 minutes, climbing 1,000', burning x calories. When I hit that goal I just quit riding and abandon my virtual bike at the side of the virtual road. My point is that in Zwift I don't have that same sense of accomplishment of completing a ride like I feel in real life.

How do you deal with this sense of loss?
Ha, just like the pros! (And the bike is probably left standing too.)

I picture the Zwift scenery looking like this if the bikes didn't disappear:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just have a dumb trainer, and watch videos. It's so easy to just decide to quit the session, there's no "15 more miles to get back home" effect.

Last edited by rm -rf; 01-09-19 at 10:59 PM.
Old 01-10-19, 02:24 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
I find it easier. I can work out any time - even at 11 at night, without having to bother with clothing, lights, inattentive drivers, and my own drowsiness. I can quit whenever I want or I can go just a little bit further. I can do a quick 30-minute work out without setting anything up. A couple of times I went longer than I planned for; one of them I was having so much fun I spent 3 hours on the damn trainer and did a half-century. To be honest, felt quite accomplished abandoning my virtual bike and getting off the real one.

But yeah, it doesn't really compare with that feeling you get, going somewhere on an open road.