Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 11-15-19, 07:25 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Another Zwift race last night. TTT. Over 27 to about 28mph avg speed. Within 10w of ftp for 45min.

I feel like the team surged off the line too much (more than I would in a TT) and my meter/Zwift decided I wasn't putting out power for the first 3 seconds. I spent the next 2 min bridging at the beginning of a TT. That ain't good. It took me about 400w for 2 min to catch up, then settled in just below ftp.

The two leaders were A (one almost an A+) riders well above the rest of us, so we just wheel sucked. I think I pulled uphill for 20 seconds twice out of 45min. So none.

Great workout. Hurt really bad. Talking on Discord was key to keeping us all together. Somehow we did. One guy bridged a guy up twice off the back and I bridged the same guy once or twice back up off the back during the event.

I feel like the draft was pretty close to accurate for the speeds we were going at, and sitting in at for power. Somehow.

Next, will try road/crit race on there soon.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-15-19, 10:42 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1336 Post(s)
Liked 2,469 Times in 1,445 Posts
While others are doing exciting Zwift workouts and races, I continue my journeyman leg strength training on Wednesday, Fiesta endurance work on Thursday. But it was another gorgeous day riding outside. And I knew exactly how much weight I used in the gym and how much power I generated on the bike...so there is that.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-15-19, 01:46 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2593 Post(s)
Liked 3,082 Times in 1,632 Posts
1x20' and then 1x12' on the TT bike at Fiesta this morning, running late. I can stay in position for the full 20' now without getting numb or sore which is cool. Also, in between intervals I got to "race" a triathlete who I passed a couple minutes before the end of the first interval, and then again into the second one. So maybe it was on the higher end of SST , but well below LTHR. Plus he had all the fast kit on! (wheels, helmet etc).
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-15-19, 06:54 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by TMonk
1x20' and then 1x12' on the TT bike at Fiesta this morning, running late. I can stay in position for the full 20' now without getting numb or sore which is cool. Also, in between intervals I got to "race" a triathlete who I passed a couple minutes before the end of the first interval, and then again into the second one. So maybe it was on the higher end of SST , but well below LTHR. Plus he had all the fast kit on! (wheels, helmet etc).
Interesting. Perhaps trying out his race kit for something soon?

I don’t ride the crazy wheels and helmet unless I feel like redlining it.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-17-19, 02:33 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

It's gotta be a lie, but TP and the Wahoo app said 240w NP for 3 hours today. We put together a hill sprint ride, dirty dozen, around Raleigh. I gave it the beans on 8 of the 13 hills. When I say give it the beans, I mean I was gagging at the top. One KOM, several top 10's. Shoulda had another KOM but it didn't stop the timer right at the stoplight.

I think it's a record on NP for that long a ride for me, and also a record for avg power being low versus NP high.

200 TSS ride. And......I'm looking forward to dinnertime.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 11-18-19, 07:05 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Sprints and short hard efforts can throw off NP, which also throws off TSS.
Old 11-18-19, 09:10 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
I was voluntold to do the Belgian Waffle Ride, so I guess accelerated base season starts this week.
Old 11-18-19, 12:16 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Endurance ride on Saturday with my wife doing team time trial through Camp Pendleton. We had some solid work. Sunday was a shorter ride that featured 4x45” gonzo hill climb efforts mixed in the ride. We plotted out where we would do the HC efforts during the ride. Great weather.
Old 11-18-19, 04:38 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

3.5 hrs on the MTB on Saturday, fairly hard with a couple VO2 level efforts (by HR) up some steep as hills coming up from the river surrounding Mission Gorge/Mission Trails. Did some exploring and found some *really* cool/enjoyable trails in between San Carlos and Allied Gardens, "Rancho Mission Canyon" they called the place.

This morning was 2 hrs with 2x20' by feel on Fiesta, again focusing on position. Will head to the shop after work to get fitted for helmets and shoes next year and get my race reimbursement check, and have some free pizza and maybe a beer. Then I'll ride back home.

Tomorrow I took a 1/2 day at work so I could really pile it on, should get about 5.5 hrs with a commute back home after. I'm going to take the roadbike to the Tuesday morning paceline workout at Fiesta. The ride starts a little late for my work schedule (~8:15 start) so it will be nice to enjoy it and catch up with some familiar faces. I usually wave hello as I'm flying by the causeway bleeding out of my eyeballs nearing the end of a solo interval workout.
Old 11-18-19, 05:58 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Hardly rode at all last week except for commuting. Figured I'd be totally out of it for my CX race on Saturday. Turns out, I podiumed. [shrug emoji]

Thanks to work this week, I'm going to have to try the same thing next Saturday too. We'll see how that goes.
Old 11-18-19, 07:03 PM
Cleave
Old & Getting Older Racer

Bikes: Bicycle Transportation: 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric, 2019 Kia Niro Plug-In Hybrid

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
Endurance riding over the weekend that included a ride through Camp Pendleton and San Onofre beach. My wife and I did team time trial on the way back and I got a new Strava 5' PR on one of the sections. I looked at the segment and low and behold the rider just below me in the standings with the same time was @Cleave. Sorry bro, we have the same time but I am on top.
Nooooo!!!!!

That's because you were drafting MEA.
Visit my blog at https://cleavesblant.wordpress.com/
Lightning Velo Cycling Club: https://www.lightningvelo.org/
Learn about our Green Dream Home at https://www.lawville.org/
Old 11-18-19, 08:33 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Guilty as charged.
Old 11-18-19, 08:54 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Went down to cedar City Utah (4 hour drive) to do a gravel race. Fun short race but kicked my butt. I'm racing single speed this year and was way undergeared. Got 3rd, but it wasn't due to fitness more about not being able to keep up going downhill.

Now the truth, I really only went South to see a girl I'm interested in so I got a sweet hike in on Sunday in Zion np. Angels landing was closed but had an awesome time hanging out with a friend and actually hiked up higher than the viewpoint minus the sketch chain section

Today was gym day again. Another deadlift pr, 345 weighing in at just under 160lbs. Again, weight still moving well and form isnt falling apart too bad. God I love lifting.
Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 11-19-19, 11:57 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

ATL at 124, I'm tired
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-20-19, 09:26 AM
Cypress

1.5 hours on Zwift last night at Z2-3. Had a few short bursts because I was playing with other riders to pass the time. I should probably stop doing that on base rides...
Old 11-20-19, 09:41 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

More big gear work on Fiesta. Low cadence tempo and then sprint x 4. Then I wanted to ride some higher cadence tempo and got another lap in and the wind picked up and started blowing sand. I made a quick exit. Then it rained.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 11-20-19, 10:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by Hermes
More big gear work on Fiesta. Low cadence tempo and then sprint x 4. Then I wanted to ride some higher cadence tempo and got another lap in and the wind picked up and started blowing sand. I made a quick exit. Then it rained.
Ha! Must have gotten started late. I ended my road ride a bit early yesterday so I could swap to my MTB and finish up my time on that, mainly in anticipation of the commute home. At 60+ F and a light shower, it really wasn't a bad 45 minute commute home, enjoyable even.
Old 11-20-19, 10:18 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

I woke up suuuuper wiped this morning and within a few minutes I decided to swap tomorrow's off day with today's planned 60' on the TT bike (trainer), with 2x20' at the edge of z2/3 in front of the mirror, with a hard focus on position. Tomorrow I'll make sure that it ends up a bit below my current CTL, which is like 80-something.

On Thursday we commute to Tucson for a stay at the JW Starr Pass (lovely grounds) Marriott for the lead up to El Tour. Family reunion on S/Su. Friday will feature my standard 2.5 hour opener ride with 3x8' at FTP, and Saturday is El Tour, which should be good for 4 hours of fast goodness on mostly smooth roads. Fun times.

Last edited by TMonk; 11-20-19 at 10:29 AM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-20-19, 11:32 AM
Cypress

I woke up suuuuper wiped this morning and within a few minutes I decided to swap tomorrow's off day with today's planned 60' on the TT bike (trainer), with 2x20' at the edge of z2/3 in front of the mirror, with a hard focus on position. Tomorrow I'll make sure that it ends up a bit below my current CTL, which is like 80-something.

On Thursday we commute to Tucson for a stay at the JW Starr Pass (lovely grounds) Marriott for the lead up to El Tour. Family reunion on S/Su. Friday will feature my standard 2.5 hour opener ride with 3x8' at FTP, and Saturday is El Tour, which should be good for 4 hours of fast goodness on mostly smooth roads. Fun times.
Man, it's stuff like this that worries me for the BWR. You Cali guys are in full-swing while I'm on my rollers staring at an electronic version of myself until late April (if the weather lets up that early). There's a good chance I'll have less than 15 outdoor rides between the first of the year and the BWR.

Oh, and I started beta alanine dosing today. WEEEEW PARESTHESIA.
Old 11-20-19, 11:37 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

BWR isn't until May 3 though, right? That seems far away to me, but if you're really indoor-bound in the lead-up to it, well then that sucks. I'm on my second week of base training and aiming to be in peak road form by Feb-March, kinda like last year.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 11-20-19, 11:46 AM
Cypress

BWR isn't until May 3 though, right? That seems far away to me, but if you're really indoor-bound in the lead-up to it, well then that sucks. I'm on my second week of base training and aiming to be in peak road form by Feb-March, kinda like last year.
Western Oregon is a cruel mistress if a guy wants to stay warm and dry while training for "early-season" stuff
Old 11-20-19, 12:27 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Ha! Must have gotten started late. I ended my road ride a bit early yesterday so I could swap to my MTB and finish up my time on that, mainly in anticipation of the commute home. At 60+ F and a light shower, it really wasn't a bad 45 minute commute home, enjoyable even.
I started at 10AM but I got an hour of piano practice in before. I need my sleep and us CA show ponies will wilt in the rain and too much wind.
Old 11-25-19, 11:28 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Team ride of a bit over 4 hours of steady z2 (or 3?) riding Saturday. Very much a base ride.

I wrapped up my CX season a week ago, and the last month of the season I basically considered to be a break as my only riding other than fun spins with my kids and short commutes was a 45 min. race on the weekend. So, this ride is officially my first training ride of the 2020 season. Off we go!
Likes For cmh:
Old 11-25-19, 12:08 PM
Cypress

Originally Posted by cmh
Team ride of a bit over 4 hours of steady z2 (or 3?) riding Saturday. Very much a base ride.

I wrapped up my CX season a week ago, and the last month of the season I basically considered to be a break as my only riding other than fun spins with my kids and short commutes was a 45 min. race on the weekend. So, this ride is officially my first training ride of the 2020 season. Off we go!
Which team are you on?
Old 11-25-19, 01:18 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Which team are you on?
Therapeutics Assoc. Racing.

How about you? What team are you on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.