Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mini pump for touring

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Mini pump for touring

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-20, 01:44 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
That's just mud and grime. it will clean up fine. I've had my mini-morph mounted in the same location, first on my road bike for ten years, and later on my hybrid for a year. I clean it occasionally, and disassembled it once for deeper cleaning. There's nothing in that photo showing an impossible restoration.
Old 01-04-20, 02:57 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by BritishV8
- the hose end literally screws onto the valve stem rather than having a lever type clamp. (That's a bigger advantage than I realized until I tried it!)
If you ever get any presta valve tubes that have replaceable valve stem cores, the core can stay in the pump chuck when you take the chuck off of the tube. But most cores do not come off, so you might never run across that.
Old 01-04-20, 04:52 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
Originally Posted by daoswald
There's nothing in that photo showing an impossible restoration.
Yea, I did have to tear it apart and give it a good cleaning and if I remember correctly, I had to replace a small piece or two in order to make it functional again

I'm sure most know but the Lezyne pumps now all have a small bleeder valve in the chuck that allows you to remove any air remaining in the chuck after you're done pumping, which supposedly helps to prevent accidentally removing the valve core when finished but I've still had it happen. And so I always tighten down that Presta valve core when you get that new tube and sometimes even add a little plumbers tape to the threads so as to prevent that from loosening up.
Old 01-04-20, 09:05 PM
etw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The topeak pumps work well. Another consideration would be those by Silca. I have the Tattico and it is well made. The couple of times I have used it it has worked well.

https://silca.cc/collections/frame-pumps-mini-pumps
Old 01-05-20, 06:50 PM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I have experience using a Lezyne and my current Topeak frame pump many times. I haven’t had a chance to use a topeak mini.The Lezyne is a quality pump, no question, and it gets the job done, but I find the screw on attachment method kind of annoying(the last thing I want when I have a flat is an annoying time fixing it), and I have also had an issue with a valve core that kept unscrewing with the pump. It’s a well made, nice pump, but has it’s little hang-ups.

i love my topeak frame pump. It’s worked perfectly to pump up Many tires with never an issue. It’s a bit easier to use than the mini pumps I’ve used. I also think the longer barrel makes pumping up a tire easier than the little pumps. I can hit over 50psi no problem with it. No problem meaning it’s not a lot of work like I’ve experienced with minis. I don’t run my tires higher than ~50psi, so it works great for me. I think people say higher psi is easier with a frame pump than a mini. It’s not as compact, so that’s it’s one negative as I see it, but it’s worth it to me for the ease of use.

Last edited by 3speed; 01-05-20 at 06:55 PM.
Old 01-06-20, 11:50 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3455 Post(s)
Liked 1,454 Times in 1,133 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
I'm sure most know but the Lezyne pumps now all have a small bleeder valve in the chuck that allows you to remove any air remaining in the chuck after you're done pumping, which supposedly helps to prevent accidentally removing the valve core when finished but I've still had it happen. And so I always tighten down that Presta valve core when you get that new tube and sometimes even add a little plumbers tape to the threads so as to prevent that from loosening up.
A friend of mine commented once that he used blue (removable) threadlocker on presta valve cores to help hold them in. Since then I have done the same, but I have not used my Lezyne pump on any of those valve cores since, so I can't comment on how well it works. I do remember being careful to try to make sure that the threadlocker only went on the threads but not anywhere near the valve where my concern was that it could cause a slow leak.
Old 01-08-20, 08:19 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
I know most of you won’t take this seriously, but I’ve been using a Schwinn mini-pump for awhile now, and like it quite a bit. 👍 This particular one has a gauge that reads up to 120 psi, a short hose, openings for both Schrader & Presta, and a weird rotating foot rest thingy, to make it work like a floor pump. Seems like those are the same features everyone wants, on the more popular names. 😉 BTW, I’ve used it many times now, and it really is pretty user-friendly.
Likes For stardognine:
Old 01-11-20, 08:56 AM
3speed

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
I know most of you won’t take this seriously, but I’ve been using a Schwinn mini-pump for awhile now, and like it quite a bit. 👍 This particular one has a gauge that reads up to 120 psi, a short hose, openings for both Schrader & Presta, and a weird rotating foot rest thingy, to make it work like a floor pump. Seems like those are the same features everyone wants, on the more popular names. 😉 BTW, I’ve used it many times now, and it really is pretty user-friendly.
Rock on. It's always awesome to find gear that works for you at 1/3 the cost of the nice expensive stuff. That's how I usually end up with nicer touring bikes for cheap(used, very good condition stuff, build up the bike myself), but usually end up spending too much on camping gear. You Rarely come across high quality, barely used gear for pennies compared to new price. A brand new pump that you like is even better than barely used!