Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Wahoo Kickr Core fail

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-20, 06:16 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Wahoo Kickr Core fail

I was ambivalent, couldn't decide if I really wanted to "ride" indoors. I read so many reports of problems, software and hardware. I finally decided to order one from REI, though it was out of stock and I had to wait over a month. Had to be delivered to REI to get free shipping. The thing is heavy! I got it assembled, bike on, paired to phone and began the update. Then it died. I followed the online trouble shoot until I got to "Contact us for replacement." No. It's going back to REI for a refund. I guess the point is the accounts of defects are real and if you can buy from a store that offers local easy returns it may be worthwhile.
Old 07-13-20, 10:19 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
when i did research on the Core i learned of a power supply problem. i can't recall if it was a power surge or an ESD event taking out the Core's PCB but in any case i thought Wahoo had corrected this with a new power supply.

i have a 2018 model Kicker, i was lucky enough to find this online from...i forget. in any case, this model appeared to be the last model without this issue.

if you ever get it running i think you will like it. i did not like riding too much in doors but zwift make it more enjoyable. now i re-ride some old rides i have done in the past when the weather is not cooperating.
Old 07-13-20, 12:07 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

I think it was the power supply but no way to tell for sure w/o waiting for a replacement. I may reconsider in the future but this one went back to REI this morning.
Old 07-14-20, 06:23 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I bought a Kickr Core last Fall and used it a lot during the Winter/Spring. Knock on wood, I never had any problems with it. Sorry that you endured a different experience. With that said, I hope the replacement will work flawlessly for you. I used mine with the Rouvy app and liked it better than Zwift. While I do not look forward to the Winter, having a great indoor trainer makes getting a workout a lot more enjoyable.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 07-14-20, 11:45 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

The Rouvy app did sound interesting!
Old 07-14-20, 02:28 PM
aspalmat

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Sorry you had issues. I've had a Kicker Core since they first came out. Never had a problem with mine. It's been rock solid with no issues. Sounds like you just got a faulty unit for some reason.
Likes For aspalmat:
Old 07-14-20, 03:35 PM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The Rouvy app did sound interesting!
Rouvy has 100s of rides all over the world that you can take. When you start using your trainer, give it a try. They offer a 30-day free trial.
Likes For oldwinger14:
Old 07-19-20, 07:12 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 362 Posts
I bought a Kickr Core when it first came out and haven't had any problems beyond the chevron stickers coming off the flywheel. I consider it the best cycling investment I ever made beyond the bike.
Likes For zacster:
Old 02-13-21, 03:14 PM
doldonics

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Kickr Vibration issue not the bearings in my case - but solved

As with everyone else that appears to have vibration issues with their kickr core, I replaced the bearings on the flywheel. The vibration went away for about 4 rides, then started coming back. So I took it apart again.
The first time I took it apart, I noticed iron dust in the area that is inside the flywheel. I could not figure out where it came from, but I cleaned it. When I took it apart again, this time there was more iron dust. WTH? So I took a good look and found out that the wavy spring steel washer they use to keep the axial preload had eaten into the flywheel at the flywheel/shaft interface. This was allowing the flywheel to move in/out axially about 1 mm. Now we have a spring/mass system, and depending on the forcing function (the pedaling speed) the vibration was different at different cadences. I ended up making several steel shims/washers with an ID of 11/16" and OD of .9" in thicknesses of .03", .04", and .05". The .04" one did the trick, it allows only a slight axial movement of the flywheel, and lets the spring washer keep the preload correct.

When I purchased the Kickr, i adjusted the belt tension so that it was not as high as the factory. The bearings I took out were not "worn" and were still good, they rolled smoothly even under pressure.

So If/when you decide to replace the bearings, if there is iron dust on the flywheel side, make sure to check the axial play of the flywheel. You can see the wear on the spring washer also, it will have 3 shiny spots on it.

- Doldonics

p.s. I have pics but am not allowed to post them yet....
Likes For doldonics:
Old 02-13-21, 09:43 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
kudos for the sleuthing. will keep this in mind should my core ever begin to vibrate.