Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

closures and pre-election drama off the SGRT

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 10-17-20, 01:08 PM
marquhar

Bikes: 2008 Motobecane Immortal Force

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Hello,

Sunday Oct 18, POTUS will travel to Lido Island, Newport Beach. No doubt Secret Service is already
thick in the area checking parking and maybe bike paths too.

Careful riding in this area as it may be easy to get cut off from normal routes and delay your rides.
Stay away from Downtown HB, use Garfield (southbound) or Bushard (northbound) to go around.

I encountered Trump supporters making noise in Mariners Mile (going north) on Sun Oct 11.

Now my subject:
I was on the SGRT during both of these situations below, once while running, the other while riding 4, 8-mile laps.

https://www.presstelegram.com/2019/0...nature-center/

https://ktla.com/news/local-news/sb-...fter-shooting/

The response to the transient shooting on Oct 15 was way blown out-of-proportion. For cops to shoot at the deceased at 9:30 am then wait till 1:30 pm to check the tent makes no sense. Why didn't they use a canine? To call in the Seal Beach drone and mobilize the Swat Team is truly stupid.
I will go out on a limb and say that this was Homeland Security using Chips to give a big F-U to Long Beach, a Democrat stronghold.

Both of the above events seemed like pre-planned drills. They both used at least 2 hovering helicopters. The shooting caused the SB 605 closure above Spring Street, which I saw in-progress as I rode over Wardlow towards Studebaker.

I was on the perimeter of the `shooting` for 2 hours, so AMA.

Be aware that Leisure World North Gate is still closed until December 20, I tried to use this to get around the closures on Thur Oct 15.

cheers,

Last edited by marquhar; 10-17-20 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10-17-20, 01:35 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
Downtown HB and Lido Isle are quite a distance apart. Is there something going on in downtown HB? If its just the usual rabble-rousers that like to protest at the foot of the HB Pier, then that's nothing to worry about. But if HBPD shuts down the PCH/Main St intersection, then you southbounders on PCH can just turn inland, go up to Orange, turn right and go south on that to 1st street (after you cross Main St, and where Orange turns into Atlanta) and turn right down 1st to PCH. You can also keep going along Atlanta to Beach Blvd, then down Beach Blvd to PCH. If northbound, just do the reverse.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-17-20, 05:15 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 913 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by marquhar
The response to the transient shooting on Oct 15 was way blown out-of-proportion. For cops to shoot at the deceased at 9:30 am then wait till 1:30 pm to check the tent makes no sense. Why didn't they use a canine? To call in the Seal Beach drone and mobilize the Swat Team is truly stupid.
I will agree with this portion of your post. I live VERY close to where this was happening. I actually had a friend riding the SGRT past all of this while he was heading over to my house and said they took him off the path for a while. It did seem overblown. Helicopters, cops and fire department for 1 homeless guy. There are several small homeless encampments in that area along the SGRT and I suppose this was overflow. Non of the encampments have gotten big enough to have any action taken against them, but they are there.