Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Grandma Smokes Recumbent Racer

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Grandma Smokes Recumbent Racer

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-07, 11:34 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Convert
Not funny, but I didn't hear a denial.
sorry didn't understand the context of your original remark. Are you looking for an older woman? Your comment came out of the blue with no explanation what it is supposed to mean........
Old 12-16-07, 11:50 PM
The_Convert

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lowracer1
sorry didn't understand the context of your original remark. Are you looking for an older woman? Your comment came out of the blue with no explanation what it is supposed to mean........
Old 12-17-07, 07:24 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,618 Times in 2,122 Posts
Considering that everyone here, whether on road bike or recumbent or fixie or tandem or mountain bike or unicycle, is considered a dork by 99% of the population, it's pretty funny to see people trying to argue which is dorkier.

Old 12-17-07, 07:33 AM
desert_tortoise

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Considering that everyone here, whether on road bike or recumbent or fixie or tandem or mountain bike or unicycle, is considered a dork by 99% of the population, it's pretty funny to see people trying to argue which is dorkier.
This is effin' hilarious. I don't give a damn who you are. That's funny.
Old 12-17-07, 09:57 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rutnick
Looks like another reason why bents aren't real road bikes....grip shifters. Last time I saw a road bike with grip shifters was the GMC Denali road bike at Wal-Mart.
Huh? Most folks I know on highracers (the bent style most similar to a road bike in terms of where/how it is ridden) prefer DA bar end shifters. The same can be said for those who ride performance trikes.
Old 12-17-07, 10:15 AM
NoCom_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Again, WTF is your point?
My apologies agian halfspeed.

What I should have posted is "The guys on diamond frames who try and keep pace with Aikigres rear wheel will need steroids on the go to hang on.

https://slappy-recumbent.blogspot.com...-uscf-pro.html
Old 12-17-07, 10:25 AM
kukusz
A Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lol, this is supposed to be clever? You should also point out how road bikes are slower than cars, that will really piss off the roadies.
Old 12-17-07, 10:31 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
apparently you didn't look close at the batmobile. Carbon Fiber, grip shifters and a camelback....yum!

Man, I love you bent guys coming in here and getting all "bent" about the lack of respect. Actually, it is more like posting something stupid and then getting all huffy when it gets slammed back.

It takes one bent rider to post and then an upright rider responds...another then another then the bent "batsignal" goes up and it is like moths to a flame.

Originally Posted by banerjek
Huh? Most folks I know on highracers (the bent style most similar to a road bike in terms of where/how it is ridden) prefer DA bar end shifters. The same can be said for those who ride performance trikes.
Old 12-17-07, 10:33 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
without the stupid syringes, the bike was actually pretty sweet. Easton fork, easton wheels, DA drivetrain....

Originally Posted by kukusz
Lol, this is supposed to be clever? You should also point out how road bikes are slower than cars, that will really piss off the roadies.
Old 12-17-07, 10:39 AM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NoCom_rider
My apologies agian halfspeed.

What I should have posted is "The guys on diamond frames who try and keep pace with Aikigres rear wheel will need steroids on the go to hang on.

https://slappy-recumbent.blogspot.com...-uscf-pro.html
Nope. Still don't get it. Unless, of course, you are actually attempting to 'prove' the obvious point that 'bents are aerodynamic. Here's another revelation, motors make bikes faster too!
Old 12-17-07, 10:45 AM
adam

Bikes: Cervelo, Pinarello, Specialized

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got one already

Looks like your chain is one or two links too long.
Old 12-17-07, 10:55 AM
NoCom_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
apparently you didn't look close at the batmobile. Carbon Fiber, grip shifters and a camelback....yum!
This is the ultimate batmobile.
https://slappy-recumbent.blogspot.com...recumbent.html

No camelback as that will ruin the clean aerodynamics.
Old 12-17-07, 10:59 AM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and I thought snowboarders smoked a lot of pot.

This is the ultimate batmobile.
https://slappy-recumbent.blogspot.com...recumbent.html

No camelback as that will ruin the clean aerodynamics.
Old 12-17-07, 11:01 AM
NoCom_rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by halfspeed
Nope. Still don't get it. Unless, of course, you are actually attempting to 'prove' the obvious point that 'bents are aerodynamic. Here's another revelation, motors make bikes faster too!
The Tour de France version of that bike will have twice as many steroid syringes with EPO boosters to help pro cyclist go as fast as an ultra low racing recumbent
Old 12-17-07, 11:43 AM
badfishgood
B(.)(.)BS

Bikes: My bicycles?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got one already

Nice pillow.
Old 12-17-07, 12:05 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Man, I love you bent guys coming in here and getting all "bent" about the lack of respect. Actually, it is more like posting something stupid and then getting all huffy when it gets slammed back.
Just out of curiosity, what defines a "bent guy?" I have two bents that I ride plenty, but I'll bet I put more miles on my road bike than a lot of guys who consider themselves roadies.

Maybe there should be a sticky dedicated to pissing contests discussing which bike type is best since this a regular topic in many areas of BF.
Old 12-17-07, 12:18 PM
HillMut
peloton surfing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are recumbents even considered bicycles? *ducks*
Old 12-17-07, 12:39 PM
halfspeed

Bikes: are better than yours.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The Tour de France version of that bike will have twice as many steroid syringes with EPO boosters to help pro cyclist go as fast as an ultra low racing recumbent
::YAWN::
Old 12-17-07, 12:49 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
having an avatar riding that "thing" would probably be one clue and then having a picture riding a trike in your profile would be another clue.

As it has been pointed out before, there is a recumbent forum.

Mileage really doesn't matter and is a moot point if they only ride traditional bikes.

Since you opened that door with your hinting of amazing traditional bike mileage....I guess I will bite. What's the amazing total? Yearly and well...on a traditional bike.

Just out of curiosity, what defines a "bent guy?" I have two bents that I ride plenty, but I'll bet I put more miles on my road bike than a lot of guys who consider themselves roadies.

Maybe there should be a sticky dedicated to pissing contests discussing which bike type is best since this a regular topic in many areas of BF.
Old 12-17-07, 12:50 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
pillow....hammock...whatever.

Originally Posted by badfishgood
Nice pillow.
Old 12-17-07, 02:19 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

having an avatar riding that "thing" would probably be one clue and then having a picture riding a trike in your profile would be another clue.

As it has been pointed out before, there is a recumbent forum.

Mileage really doesn't matter and is a moot point if they only ride traditional bikes.

Since you opened that door with your hinting of amazing traditional bike mileage....I guess I will bite. What's the amazing total? Yearly and well...on a traditional bike.
Last year, around 8,000 miles on my road bikes. Bent miles were closer to 3,000 (probably slightly less). I also spend some focused time on the trainer. I've only ridden bents for a few years -- before that, I rode 10-11K miles on road bikes. Next year and beyond, I expect road miles to drop by a few thousand and bent miles to stay the same. It's a time thing. You would probably consider the vast majority of those to be junk miles.

However, I've ridden with enough people to know I do OK even if I don't have what it takes to be a hot shot. From conversations at bike shops and events, I know that there are plenty of people who race that know surprisingly little about their own bikes or cycling outside a very narrow sphere.

The whole "bent vs road bike" thing is as dumb as arguing if PCs or Macs are better. But then again, anyone stupid enough to take the bait when some troll dumps on one or the other will get what's coming to him.

As for pics, I like to show what I have that is slightly different. When I get the time, I'll post a shot of my racing bike in front of the garage door with the new wheels I'm getting since that will be far more interesting.
Old 12-17-07, 02:43 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The words....the words....I should have asked for a one sentence answer after reading 5 lines of your blog.

Maybe they don't have to worry about their bikes and only worry about finishing.

I've got you beat on traditional miles. I might take a nap now or write a 20 page essay.

Last year, around 8,000 miles on my road bikes. Bent miles were closer to 3,000 (probably slightly less). I also spend some focused time on the trainer. I've only ridden bents for a few years -- before that, I rode 10-11K miles on road bikes. Next year and beyond, I expect road miles to drop by a few thousand and bent miles to stay the same. It's a time thing. You would probably consider the vast majority of those to be junk miles.

However, I've ridden with enough people to know I do OK even if I don't have what it takes to be a hot shot. From conversations at bike shops and events, I know that there are plenty of people who race that know surprisingly little about their own bikes or cycling outside a very narrow sphere.

The whole "bent vs road bike" thing is as dumb as arguing if PCs or Macs are better. But then again, anyone stupid enough to take the bait when some troll dumps on one or the other will get what's coming to him.

As for pics, I like to show what I have that is slightly different. When I get the time, I'll post a shot of my racing bike in front of the garage door with the new wheels I'm getting since that will be far more interesting.
Old 12-17-07, 03:02 PM
wfrogge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm by no means the fastest bent rider I know....... I can pick 5 or 6 guys I know off hand that live in other states that put out a bit more wattage. I've done regular 351 watt average 10k time trials with peak being 379 watt average for the same time trial. My hour average is 289 watt to 297 watt being the best I've done. I don't get my ass handed to me on climbs. I've been passed a few times here and there by small packs...... not many single riders and yes on the downhill I retake them and never see them again till the end of the ride. I'm still shooting for the 4 hour century mark solo nonstop. 4:13 has been my best on a semi hilly course........not mountains. The largest climbs I've done in Tennessee were 8 to 10% grades for 6 miles. yeah, speed between 7 to 9 mph where the stronger lighter climbers will go 9 to 11mph. Its sad though that all cycling isn't uphill now isn't it.

Something just dosent add up here. You put out watts like that while riding a more aero machine than most of us but cant break 4 hours in a century?

I call BS
Old 12-17-07, 03:03 PM
Kotts
Recreational Commuter

Bikes: One brand-less build-up, and a Connondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra Disc. A nicer bike than I need, but it was a good deal, so... ;-)

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
got one already

That's not a bicycle, that's the Batmobile with advanced anorexia! (She never really recovered from the cancellation of the TV show.)

All kidding aside, that is a nice looking bike, and I'm not even a 'bent rider!
Old 12-17-07, 03:05 PM
Rutnick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 hour numbers and only 10K TT peak numbers. He's out of gas. All bling...no staying power. He had to refuel and forgot his bong.

Originally Posted by wfrogge
Something just dosent add up here. You put out watts like that while riding a more aero machine than most of us but cant break 4 hours in a century?

I call BS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.