Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bicycle to Vehicle Communication

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 01-16-21, 05:35 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts

I said this was going to happen:

Forbes Article • Bicycle 2 Vehicle Communications

“....The gist is that this B2V standard would operate in ways similar to how V2V communications work, with the bike (or a scooter or an accessory, as they're a part of this, too) sending out standard Basic Safety Message (BSM) signals to automobiles, while also receiving signals from those cars and infrastructure components like street lights...”
Old 01-17-21, 11:58 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1825 Post(s)
Liked 3,367 Times in 1,573 Posts
I like the idea of vehicles having a way to communicate with bikes.. i.e. to detect the bikes and identify them as bikes.
Putting the transceiver (or is it just a transmitter?) in a tail light that you would have anyway seems reasonable.

Presumably vehicles will still be required to not run over pedestrians, so it should be acceptable for a bike to not be equipped with this sort of device. ...right??...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 01-17-21, 12:34 PM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
I like the idea of vehicles having a way to communicate with bikes.. i.e. to detect the bikes and identify them as bikes.
Putting the transceiver (or is it just a transmitter?) in a tail light that you would have anyway seems reasonable.

Presumably vehicles will still be required to not run over pedestrians, so it should be acceptable for a bike to not be equipped with this sort of device. ...right??...

Steve in Peoria
Darn it Steve,
Your question raises all kinds of legal repercussions.
Will free transponders , or transmitter beacons, be handed out for free at some point? Police often hand out free bicycle helmets and tail lights, it wouldn’t be too much of a stretch.

Maybe if the driver knows the bicycle will catch up with him at the next light (which happens to be red), he will hold-off from passing in the first place.

Cities have already been cleaned up since the advent of affordable video cameras and cell phones. I don’t know if you know how dirty it was before, in the 70’s and 80’s.

I’m planning on starting a business to supply safety gear for e-bikes and e-bike conversions.
People aren’t exactly standing in line at my front door! It seems these people slap a motor onto their bicycle and safety be damned! No interest in turn signals. Okay, maybe a small percentage installed lights since the last time I checked, and that has to do with the affordability of batteries, LED’s are 98% efficient, and many new lights are USB rechargeable.

V2B will be a great fail-safe, a backup if human eyes fail; who knows, fog or rain , blinding low sun angle, even a driver having a stroke.
Old 01-17-21, 12:57 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
It will be great when motorists have the ability to simply press a button to send a message to a cyclist, such as "Get the hell off the road. I pay vehicle taxes."
Old 01-17-21, 01:03 PM
hotbike

Originally Posted by wgscott
It will be great when motorists have the ability to simply press a button to send a message to a cyclist, such as "Get the hell off the road. I pay vehicle taxes."
I’d happily send them a message back “I paid $32,500.00 in taxes last year “.
How about giving the motorists an estimated time , until the cyclist can safely move over? Road shoulders often have erratic widths, and sphincters. Not to mention parked cars, delivery vehicles, and blind curves. Heck, if drivers knew what was around the blind curve, they might slow down.
Likes For hotbike:
Old 01-17-21, 03:59 PM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by hotbike
Darn it Steve,
Your question raises all kinds of legal repercussions.

I’m planning on starting a business to supply safety gear for e-bikes and e-bike conversions.
People aren’t exactly standing in line at my front door! It seems these people slap a motor onto their bicycle and safety be damned! No interest in turn signals.........

V2B will be a great fail-safe, a backup if human eyes fail; who knows, fog or rain , blinding low sun angle, even a driver having a stroke.
Anyone designing or selling equipment related to safety needs to understand the legal liabilities. The first person who gets hurt while using equipment that you designed, made, or sold will result in their insurance company sending lawyers out to see if they can sue you.

The discussions that I've seen of V2X focused on dense urban areas where there is a lot of traffic and chaos. My impression is that the first priority is to avoid collisions. If the vehicles know about every other item within a short distance, they can slow down and/or apply brakes before they get too close. I think the system is even tied into the traffic control lights?

I've seen the Velodyne LIDARs used on autonomous mining trucks, as well as the array of small radars that they use to detect nearby objects. It's all pretty complicated, but they have been in operation for a number of years and seem to be okay. Smaller and smaller LIDARs are in development, as well as other vision based systems of detecting items, estimating the range, and identifying the type of item. There will always be some sort of shortcoming, but things are gradually improving.

Steve in Peoria
Old 01-17-21, 04:00 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Pay no attention to the fact that bicycles are vehicles.
Old 01-17-21, 04:18 PM
hotbike

Anyone designing or selling equipment related to safety needs to understand the legal liabilities. The first person who gets hurt while using equipment that you designed, made, or sold will result in their insurance company sending lawyers out to see if they can sue you.

The discussions that I've seen of V2X focused on dense urban areas where there is a lot of traffic and chaos. My impression is that the first priority is to avoid collisions. If the vehicles know about every other item within a short distance, they can slow down and/or apply brakes before they get too close. I think the system is even tied into the traffic control lights?

I've seen the Velodyne LIDARs used on autonomous mining trucks, as well as the array of small radars that they use to detect nearby objects. It's all pretty complicated, but they have been in operation for a number of years and seem to be okay. Smaller and smaller LIDARs are in development, as well as other vision based systems of detecting items, estimating the range, and identifying the type of item. There will always be some sort of shortcoming, but things are gradually improving.

Steve in Peoria
Yes, thanks for reminding me. Nobody’s sued me yet. It’s in the prototype stage, 19th, working on 20th prototype in my basement laboratory... “beta testers will be eligible to be promoted to engineering student”, and other disclaimers have staved them off...

Preventing collisions is key. Helmets only work if there’s a serious crash! Hopefully there’s no crash to begin with. The aerodynamic fairings which I claim as ‘protective shields’ likewise; the disclaimer reads
“This Protective Shield may NOT be capable of absorbing impacts greater than 5MPH”.

Anyway, CitiBike has protective shields on their handlebars, only they don’t claim it as such. Pretty sure though the actuaries are gathering data as to the efficacy of said shields. If it wasn’t a rental bike, the kids would take it off with a screwdriver because it “doesn’t look cool”... But the rental agreement says the bike must be returned intact, or pay $1,200.00...
Old 01-27-21, 01:42 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
What could possibly go wrong?
Likes For JohnJ80:
Old 01-28-21, 10:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
As I understand it, the best b2v communication system is called a windshield. Every car has one. People need to use them more.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 01-28-21, 11:59 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
While I think the idea has merit, I don't think enough people will care. Also somewhat depends on very large scale of adoption. Risky bet.
Old 01-29-21, 05:56 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Information overload is a thing. Distracting.
As a grin I count buttons on controllers. My TV stack had 354.
Years ago I rented a Tahoe that had 154 buttons, that I counted after the heated folding seat became a pannini press.
Coordination Cooperation Communication Caring Conscientiousness really can't be delegated to machines
Hard enough getting humans to learn it

Most everyone who has the Varia radar loves it, but look at the challenges it has had, with more limited implementation.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 01-29-21 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-02-21, 09:03 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
Panasonic Augmented Heads-Up Display shown at Consumer Electronics Show:

Of course, if the auto driver is staring at their big console touchscreen instead of looking out the windshield...
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-02-21, 09:06 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1659 Post(s)
Liked 1,806 Times in 1,052 Posts
The first person who gets hurt while using equipment that you designed, made, or sold will result in their insurance company sending lawyers out to see if they can sue you.
Will juries find that cyclists who have not fitted their bike with B2V partially at fault for getting run down?
Old 02-02-21, 09:23 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Will juries find that cyclists who have not fitted their bike with B2V partially at fault for getting run down?
If it is not required by law, I'd think that unlikely. And if using it or similar keeps more cyclists from getting run over then why not add that to the arsenal of things to help?
Old 02-02-21, 10:13 AM
steelbikeguy

Originally Posted by tcs
perhaps? But not until B2V becomes common.
There are analogies with bike lights or helmets. Once it becomes a common piece of equipment, there is an expectation that it will be used.
Also... juries are unpredictable and their decisions are not always based solely on the facts of the case.

Steve in Peoria
Old 02-02-21, 11:07 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
I don't think juries will need that as an excuse.
Old 02-03-21, 05:08 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
It's virtually never prosecuted anyway unless there is a dui.

My experience with voice warnings in airplanes is nobody pays attention unless it's not there and they crash. Then they blame the crash on the lack of voice warnings. I can just see an alarm sounding and someone with their eyes on their phone in their lap just scans the dashboard to see what's going on and hits the cyclist anyway.

Modern road design has made roads too safe for drivers, so they don't look out the windshield. The way to fix this problem is to get them to look, either through road furniture, chicanes, or some other design feature that keeps them engaged.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 02-04-21, 10:32 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
I feel like all these new safety features on vehicles (automatic emergency braking, lane departure correcting, steering assist, etc....) can be very helpful and if they prevent collisions then great. But, I also feel like we are giving people a false sense of safety and security and they do not have to be as alert or attentive because the vehicle will take care of the problem for them.
Old 02-05-21, 10:36 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 81 Posts
Hell, where I live (TX) , they can't get bikers to use lights and reflectors.
The last time I saw a somebody use a turn signal, I thought they had a bad brake light.

Loud horns save lives

Have to say I love my Varia.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a3...lay-cars-2024/ was a fun read.
A lidar/radar beacon would at least mean I get hit by somebody in a nicer car.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 02-27-21 at 09:52 AM.