Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Clicking

Old 07-20-11, 01:07 AM
desert_tortoise

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Clicking

Hi guys, I have a question about a clicking noise in my new singlespeed.

The clicking is almost always perceptible by ear, but sometimes just by feel. It seems to be at the bottom of the pedal stroke, but not every stroke. Also, it seems to be worse/more often when under load (ie, out of the seat).

I'm not sure if this is relevant or even abnormal, but also, when I roll the bike backwards, I feel a click at a certain point. I can't hear it, but can feel it.

I've lubed the chain and bottom bracket, changed/tightened pedals (my old pedals are on another bike which does not do this) and I honestly don't know what this could be or what to do.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 07-20-11, 01:21 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Prolly coming from the BB cup/frame interface, common hassle.

Remove the cups, ensure the BB tube doesn't need facing, reassemble with heaps of grease and tighten it up to buggery, cross fingers.

Or if you're lucky it's just from the BB spindle/crank arm interface; try pulling your cranks, lubing and reassembling those first.
Old 07-20-11, 01:21 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Clicks and creaks can be fiendishly difficult to trace & cure. And despite a SS being "simpler", actually adds a dimension. I think I'd start by checking the chain for tight spots and binding. If nothig else, it's pretty much the only check that doesn't require disassembly.

You say you lubed the BB? Does that mean you have a cup & cone BB? C & C BBs do need a bit of preload to behave themselves while pedalling. You can't go for that finger-tight feel that might work for (nutted) hubs.
If it's a cartridge BB, then greasing the threads, or even a few turn of Plumber's tape before assembly is a common recommendation. If you have assembly grease(graphite, copper, aluminium - as used for brake pads in cars etc.), that can work better.
Then just continue to work your way through the bike. Pull the chain ring off, clean and lube mounting points, reassemble. Try another pair of pedals.
When you're out of the saddle you're usually pulling harder at the handlebar - something in that region might actually be involved too.
Old 07-20-11, 01:27 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Oh yeah, try the chainring bolts before pulling the cranks.

Originally Posted by dabac
When you're out of the saddle you're usually pulling harder at the handlebar - something in that region might actually be involved too.
You can try to isolate that by holding the bars right next to the stem when standing on it.
Old 07-20-11, 10:27 AM
JiveTurkey
Low car diet

Bikes: 2006 Windsor Dover w/105, 2007 GT Avalanche w/XT, 1995 Trek 820 setup for touring, 201? Yeah single-speed folder, 199? Huffy tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dabac
I've had this be the case once. I took the bar out of the stem, cleaned the interface of both really well, put a thin coat of grease on it, out it back together, and the noise went away.