Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Are helmets really that effective?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-11, 07:53 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
strap on
no thanks, I already have a gun
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-09-11, 07:54 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
According to the UK Department of Transport, per mile travelled pedestrians are as likely as cyclists to suffer head injuries. All those of you who are adopting the "better safe than sorry" argument need to ask yourselves why you don't wear one when crossing the street.

Intuition is often mistaken. Cycling isn't really dangerous relative to walking around, walking downstairs and so on. Don't be brainwashed into thinking otherwise.
Old 09-09-11, 07:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ilovecycling
Yes, but even with a properly fitted helmet it's still essentially a cap on a dome. It can still rotate/pivot out of place with enough force. Mine fits me perfectly. It has the adjustment knob on the back and when I start cranking it down the helmet feels like it's attaching itself to my head. However, unless I crank down the chin strap so tight that I can't open my mouth to eat, it will still be possible for the helmet to shift under impact.
Yes, the helmet can shift.

When I had my accident (see middle of page 1 of this thread), I did end up with a bruise on the side of my head. The helmet would have hit the ground first, then it would have likely bounced back toward my head (ever-so-slightly) while my head continued to descend toward the pavement. The helmet and my head would have collided, and then both would have crashed into the road. And that's probably when the helmet cracked. I'm guessing that's what I would have seen if I had watched the accident in slow motion.

As for the comment "you can naturally prevent your head from making contact with the ground" ... that couldn't be further from the truth.

As I say in my story, I realised that my head was on a collision course with the road when I was still in a relatively upright sitting position, and had enough time to think that I needed to do something. I tried desparately to tense up, or to shift into another position, or something, to prevent my head from hitting the ground. It was a really weird feeling, I felt like my body, and everything except my head, was moving in slow motion, but I felt like my head was flying through the scene way too fast to "catch".

And then it was too late. I was knocked unconscious ... only briefly ... fortunately.
Old 09-09-11, 07:58 AM
cleon
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.bhsi.org/stats.htm

and key quote, "Less than two percent of motor vehicle crash deaths are bicyclists. The most serious injuries among a majority of those killed are to the head, highlighting the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet. Helmet use has been estimated to reduce head injury risk by 85 percent. Ninety-one percent of bicyclists killed in 2009 reportedly weren't wearing helmets, the same percentage as 2008."

Just weigh the pros and cons and decide what's right for you.
Old 09-09-11, 08:00 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
Well...it's about time we had a helmet discussion!
Old 09-09-11, 08:06 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cleon

and key quote, "Less than two percent of motor vehicle crash deaths are bicyclists. The most serious injuries among a majority of those killed are to the head, highlighting the importance of wearing a bicycle helmet. Helmet use has been estimated to reduce head injury risk by 85 percent. Ninety-one percent of bicyclists killed in 2009 reportedly weren't wearing helmets, the same percentage as 2008."

I will. But when I weigh them I will be aware that the quoted study has been widely discredited and based it's conclusion (an 85%reduction in risk) on the researchers estimates of the effectiveness of helmets, not on a real-world analysis of their effectiveness.
Old 09-09-11, 08:07 AM
thump55
I got 99 problems....

Location: Does anyone know where the love of God goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours?
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Incorrect, at least in my case. But then again, I am the Lord himself.
You know that's not true. (either one)
Old 09-09-11, 08:13 AM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I grew up riding dirt bikes, quads, snow mobiles, snowboarding, bmxing, etc. I've done some crazy things growing up on 10 acres, and I've taken some serious falls. Broken a few bones, but never once was I wearing a helmet. My head has never hit the ground. I believe that you can be good at falling and that with good survival instincts, you can naturally prevent your head from making contact with the ground.
This sharply contrasts with my own dirtbike, BMX and mountainbike experiences. I have never destroyed a helmet of any type, but I've definitely had major impacts with them that left a lasting cosmetic flaw. I've had my head run over, tire marks to prove it.

However, I never broke any bones other than cracking my ribs a few times. Through all that, I never sustained any serious head injuries. I had a minor concussion a few times, and felt fine within a few days.

Anyway, I firmly believe that bicycle helmets are a pragmatic design. If they were as safe as a full-face motorcycle helmet, they would be as bulky and heavy as a motorcycle helmet and hardly anyone would be willing to wear them. They seem to be intentionally designed to be light enough not to be a nuisance or significant performance degradation, and offer enough protection to be worthwhile.

If I'm descending at 40mph on a bicycle and crash, is my Specialized road helmet what I would choose to be wearing? Hell no, I'd rather have a full-face motorcycle helmet, shoulder pads, back protector, elbow/knee/shinguards and a cup. But wearing all that crap isn't feasible. (DH MTB excluded.)

So, anyway, knowing that it is a 'better than nothing' design rather than ultimate head protection, you make the choice as to whether you want to bother or not. The choice is easy for me.
Old 09-09-11, 08:15 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
IThis isn't exactly bike releated, but I personally know two people (one friend and one cousin) that have been ejected out of their car and lived. Had they been wearing their seatbelts, both would have died without a doubt.
Every time I read about how someone's helmet saved their lives I can't help but think if their head ever would have touched the ground had they never worn their helmet in the first place. There's a good chance that the only reason the helmets hit the ground in the first place is because they are bulky.
What do you think?
I think your reasoning skills need some work. It is clear beyond cavil that seatbelts save thousands of lives each year. While there may be examples of freak occurences where people ejected from vehicles live, the vast majority of people ejected from moving vehicles die, or suffer catastrophic injury.

The argument that the bulk of a bike helmet (which is a bout 7 ounces) causes people to hit their heads has about the same validity as your seat belt argument.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 09-09-11, 08:20 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thump55
You know that's not true. (either one)
incorrect on both counts

perhaps if you modified your statement to say "if I knew I was going to crash AND hit my head" I might agree with that part.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 09-09-11, 08:29 AM
sleepysurf

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
I am a surgeon and have cared for hundreds of motorcyclists who would be dead or brain injured without a helmet.
I have never treated a bicyclist where a helmet would have made much of a difference. I have never been in a bicycling accident where a helmet has made any difference.
I ride a motorcycle and would not go a single mile without a full face helmet.
I ride a bicycle and never wear a helmet...
Must be an Orthopod <g>.
Old 09-09-11, 08:40 AM
JoelS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chasm54
According to the UK Department of Transport, per mile travelled pedestrians are as likely as cyclists to suffer head injuries. All those of you who are adopting the "better safe than sorry" argument need to ask yourselves why you don't wear one when crossing the street.

Intuition is often mistaken. Cycling isn't really dangerous relative to walking around, walking downstairs and so on. Don't be brainwashed into thinking otherwise.
And how many miles a week do you ride vs. walk? For me, I generally ride 150 or more mi a week than I walk. That significantly ups the odds.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 09-09-11, 08:50 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JoelS
And how many miles a week do you ride vs. walk? For me, I generally ride 150 or more mi a week than I walk. That significantly ups the odds.
Sure. It means that you ride more than you walk. But it doesn't mean that cycling is more dangerous than walking. If you walked more miles than you rode, would you wear a helmet while walking? If not, why not?
Old 09-09-11, 08:52 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Sure. It means that you ride more than you walk. But it doesn't mean that cycling is more dangerous than walking. If you walked more miles than you rode, would you wear a helmet while walking? If not, why not?
For the sake of humanity please don't wear a helmet.

Old 09-09-11, 08:52 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I think your reasoning skills need some work. It is clear beyond cavil that seatbelts save thousands of lives each year. While there may be examples of freak occurences where people ejected from vehicles live, the vast majority of people ejected from moving vehicles die, or suffer catastrophic injury.

The argument that the bulk of a bike helmet (which is a bout 7 ounces) causes people to hit their heads has about the same validity as your seat belt argument.
This is rubbish, actually. There is good statistical evidence that seat belts reduce the incidence of injury among the driving population. That evidence is much more equivocal, and often altogether absent, with regard to cyclists and helmets. There is no equivalence between the two.
Old 09-09-11, 08:53 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
For the sake of humanity please don't wear a helmet.

Routine abuse from those who are unable to sustain a rational argument. The stupid are at a much greater evolutionary disadvantage than the analytical.
Old 09-09-11, 08:54 AM
Ratzinger
Buddy

Bikes: 80s Gardin. Green fixed-gear. POS mountain bike.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
but then I remembered ... it's not illegal to ride without a helmet in Canada.
It depends where you are. The provinces make the rules.
I like having the choice. If I do a 100km ride through the city and out to the country, I wear a helmet. If I do a 5-minute ride to the LCBO, I forgo. (note: not yet drunk). I like feeling the wind in my hair. I'm not convinced that a helmet is a significant part of my safe cycling.

I used to live in a province with a mandatory helmet law and it was a bother than I couldn't even test ride my bike on an empty street without risking a big fine.

Amazing that there has been something of a real discussion in this thread! Bravo!
Old 09-09-11, 08:57 AM
cleon
Recently Addicted

Bikes: M1 w/105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fair enough. That's what happens when you (meaning me) do a cursory Google search. Here's a more balanced article, https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1052.html.

My personal experience is in two separate mountain biking incidents I am very glad to have had my helmet on. One was over a patch of ice where I went over backwards somehow, landing hard on the back of my head, and the helmet took the full impact. Doubt it would have been fatal but probably would have knocked me out and created a bloody mess. Instead I was fine. The second was a forward pitch off the trail into a tree. Same basic outcome. Helmet took the brunt and glad I had it. Never crossed my mine to not wear it. Not sure what the benefit would be. But it is a random opinion in Internetland.

I will. But when I weigh them I will be aware that the quoted study has been widely discredited and based it's conclusion (an 85%reduction in risk) on the researchers estimates of the effectiveness of helmets, not on a real-world analysis of their effectiveness.

Last edited by cleon; 09-09-11 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 08:58 AM
laserfj
Reasonably Slow...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes.
Old 09-09-11, 09:04 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fair enough. That's what happens when you (meaning me) do a cursory Google search. Here's a more balanced article, https://www.cyclehelmets.org/1052.html.

My personal experience is in two separate mountain biking incidents I am very glad to have had my helmet on. .
Thanks for taking the trouble to look more deeply. Most people don't bother.

For the record, were I a mountain biker I'd wear a helmet. The risk of a low-speed collision in which you hit your head, at a speed at which a helmet may make a significant difference, is much higher. But what kills cyclists on roads is being hit by cars, and in those situations helmets are pretty much useless. When I'm just riding around the chances of my sustaining a head injury are tiny and I'm more than prepared to take the risk.

I have no objection to people wearing helmets, it's a personal choice. I just object ot the "if you don't wear a helmet you must be stupid" argument. I don't, and I'm not.
Old 09-09-11, 09:05 AM
Commodus

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have a hard time believing that 300g of styrofoam can provide meaningful protection against a car.

I wear a helmet, because races and events of all kinds require me to. Also it puts my sweetie's mind at ease.

But, to be really honest, the extent of the protection provided beyond the laceration level is probably pretty minor. Nor is it very likely that I'm going to hit my head in the first place.

But, not getting cut is still a good thing, so helmets are, in an absolute sense, still a good idea. What I really don't like are helmets laws. I'm really friggin tired of hearing cagers ***** about cyclists not wearing their helmets, and somehow using this as proof we all need to be insured/registered/in jail/off the roads. I'm pretty sure that car accidents are a far more common source of head injury than cycling, and I don't see those ******s wearing helmets.
Old 09-09-11, 09:08 AM
dolanp

Bikes: Trek FX 7.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just because helmets don't *always* save your life doesn't mean helmets *never* save lives. If there's a chance it could soften the blow enough to save your life or prevent you from being in a coma, it's worth it IMO. It's not even an inconvenience either, people just choose not to for some idiotic fashion reason.
Old 09-09-11, 09:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Originally Posted by Commodus
I have a hard time believing that 300g of styrofoam can provide meaningful protection against a car.

I wear a helmet, because races and events of all kinds require me to. Also it puts my sweetie's mind at ease.

But, to be really honest, the extent of the protection provided beyond the laceration level is probably pretty minor. Nor is it very likely that I'm going to hit my head in the first place.
There's nothing you posted there that's remotely based in reality.

I would be dead or brain damaged from my crash last May. No question. I damn nearly died as it was. In two other and very routine crashes the back of my head made impact with the ground and crascked the back of the helmet. Were that my head I could have sustained a very serious injury. I wasn't riding aggressively in those cases. I didn't plan on crashing. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. it was just the touch of a wheel and I was on the ground.

Last edited by gsteinb; 09-09-11 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-09-11, 09:10 AM
dmcdam

Bikes: Opus Vivace F1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Falling down walking seems a lot less dangerous to me than wiping out on a bike traveling at speed. Stats or not, I've been way more injured falling off bikes than tripping over my feet.
Old 09-09-11, 09:10 AM
bianchi10
King Hoternot

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Evo Hi mod

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thy summer I waw involved in a crash and landed staright square on the bad if my head. The helmet cracked and took the hit. It still hurt but I'm glad I was wearing a helmet or else my head would have cracked instead

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.