Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 11-02-15, 12:26 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadieonthetrac
Not really a question, but being a newbie, wanted to share my experiences on the track. Roadie for 7 years, which I started at age 53, had not been on a bike for 40 years prior. Did the Learn To Ride at the Burnaby Velodrome (22M) these past few weeks.Burnaby Velodrome Club | Track cycling at it's best!

I'm sure many of you know how awesome this sport is. Last night was my first Open Track and Novice Coached Rides. Rotating pace lines, fly down to sprint line fast pace lines and Flying 200.

For a guy like me, who was a distance runner, doing this was beyond amazing. First 200 not so great, having never done one before. I think my second one was under 15 seconds. I can see lots of improvements just by taking the right lines and accelerating at the right time prior to the start. I am absolutely loving this activity. It's also a huge and welcome change from only doing trainer or roller rides all winter. I do have some issues with the indoor track as I have problematic asthma. So, purchased a membership at the Velodrome and next week I purchase a track bike.
Welcome to the sport!

Don't focus too much on times. They will come down with experience. Spend your time focusing on "time in the saddle" on the track getting used to every curve and nuance, where to exert energy and where to relax, how to hold a line, how to hold a wheel, how to ride in close quarters with others.

The 200M is a great metric, but don't fixate on it just yet.

Take your time buying a bike. If you can afford it, buy a bike that's "faster than you are". You'll get faster quickly. Also, as I'm sure you know, used is a much better value than new. But, buying complete is better than buying a-la-carte (unless you know exactly what you need.)

It's the off-season for most of this part of the world, so lots of equipment is changing hands. I have some stuff listed for sale in the main classifieds here on bike forums.

There are a lot of things that you don't need right now (aero wheels, disc, 5-spoke, etc...) that are tempting to buy. Your money would be better spent elsewhere. You've already made the best purchase, a membership to the velodrome. Race everything you can, watch everything that you aren't allowed to race. You'll learn a lot from doing both.

Read this thread. It's made for new racers: https://www.bikeforums.net/track-cycl...ack-racer.html

Ask questions there or here.
Old 11-02-15, 06:58 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im looking a buying a new set of wheels and have the choice of miche or quando hubs. Is there much benefit to paying the extra £40 for miche hubs?
Old 11-02-15, 07:57 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
yes. avoid the quando hubs.
Old 11-02-15, 07:59 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Did the Learn To Ride at the Burnaby Velodrome (22M) these past few weeks.Burnaby Velodrome Club | Track cycling at it's best!
dang. they really gotta pull that erroneous apostrophe from their website title.
Old 11-02-15, 11:04 AM
Roadieonthetrac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Often on forums like this, there can be lots of fluff, (see Slowtwitch and Letsrun) but from what I have seen from your posts, total straight up value. Thanks so much.

Last night was my 6th Velodrome ride. Exhilarating as ever. A mix of better and less better riders in the paceline, Bell Drills etc. Actually had to come down to the Cote once as someone was squeezing me and came up in front of another rider, but did not panic and most important, did not stop pedalling ;-)
Old 11-02-15, 12:21 PM
carleton
Elitist

Often on forums like this, there can be lots of fluff, (see Slowtwitch and Letsrun) but from what I have seen from your posts, total straight up value. Thanks so much.
Thanks! The crowd here is relatively small and the posts are far and few between, but the signal/noise ratio is pretty high.

You'll find that you'll buy quality equipment and it will last for years. No need to buy the latest-greatest every year.

Frames, bars, cranks, pedals, wheels, etc...will last for decades. I know a guy that's been using the same Campy cranks since the 70s. Chainrings and cogs will last for years. Tires, tubes, chains, grip tape should be changed every season or so. It's relatively inexpensive compared to road, crit, MTB, CX, and TT racing. Maybe BMX is cheaper.

Also, a carbon frame is not necessary. You'll find quality steel and aluminum frames kicking ass at tracks all over the world.

Last night was my 6th Velodrome ride. Exhilarating as ever. A mix of better and less better riders in the paceline, Bell Drills etc. Actually had to come down to the Cote once as someone was squeezing me and came up in front of another rider, but did not panic and most important, did not stop pedalling ;-)
99% of the time when someone is squeezing you they simply aren't aware of what's happening. Simply bark at them and they should hold their line and evaluate the situation. Squeezing is a valid tactic, but you'll only encounter that in intermediate and higher races. Unusually the goal is to get the person to drop back give up a valuable wheel. But, if they force you off the track, then that is grounds for relegation.
Old 11-03-15, 04:08 PM
Roadieonthetrac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Experiencing a bit of knee pain, could it be from using a fixed gear, not spinning as fast as I would on the road. Perhaps, the effort in going up the banking, or just poor fit with rental bikes?

Thanks

Last edited by Roadieonthetrac; 11-03-15 at 04:41 PM.
Old 11-03-15, 05:18 PM
gycho77

Bikes: Serotta steel track bike, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
It might be because of high gear ratio.
Try lower gear ratio first. Then move to higher gear ratio
Old 11-03-15, 06:53 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Experiencing a bit of knee pain, could it be from using a fixed gear, not spinning as fast as I would on the road. Perhaps, the effort in going up the banking, or just poor fit with rental bikes?

Thanks
Fit is crucial in track, and should start with the pedal-shoe interface. The rentals could be part of your issue. Get your own bike if you are committed, and get it set up right. I've actually experienced LESS knee pain doing track(as in none) than I had when I was a roadie, but I've been pretty anal about my set up AND how I pedal, which is another can of worms. But I'd start with fit.
Old 11-03-15, 07:06 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts

Thanks
Where exactly is the knee pain? Pain in different locations will point to differing possibilities.
Old 11-03-15, 07:25 PM
Roadieonthetrac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inside of knee, not too bad yet, but want to make sure it doesn't get worse. Expect to get my new bike and fit next week
Old 11-04-15, 05:27 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I ordered a Look ergostem, and receiving the stem on Friday. Should i be aware of anything?
Ex) Torque, angle(for stiffness), and other
Old 11-04-15, 08:44 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gycho77
I ordered a Look ergostem, and receiving the stem on Friday. Should i be aware of anything?
When you are done installing, put lots of force quickly on the bars to make sure it won't slip. I've never had mine slip. Just a precaution.

The shims may break over time (years). You can get fresh ones from LOOK USA and I think that the Felt TK1/DA shims also fit. You can get these from a local Felt dealer.
Old 11-04-15, 09:27 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for your help. I was concerning where I could get the extra washers. Now I know where I can get those washers

And can you help me with my crank and seat post problem?
So right now, I have an old campagnolo super record pista crank 165 and campagnolo seat post.
My friend said that I could sell my crank in good price around 300dollars(eBay), but not sure about the seat post.

So if I sell my parts and get sugino dd chainset(Sugino SG75 DD Chainset) and thomson seat post(I need a straight pull seat post), is it worth spending my time?
I know how to service bb. So labor fee is no issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0698.jpg (96.3 KB, 68 views)
IMG_0699.jpg (99.0 KB, 63 views)
IMG_0700-1.jpg (95.0 KB, 65 views)
IMG_0701.JPG (41.9 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-04-15, 11:59 PM
Baby Puke

I have found that the newer style washers (circa '09? and up) are extremely fragile. If possible, have extras on hand when you make adjustments.
Old 11-05-15, 02:42 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for your help. I was concerning where I could get the extra washers. Now I know where I can get those washers

And can you help me with my crank and seat post problem?
So right now, I have an old campagnolo super record pista crank 165 and campagnolo seat post.
My friend said that I could sell my crank in good price around 300dollars(eBay), but not sure about the seat post.

So if I sell my parts and get sugino dd chainset(Sugino SG75 DD Chainset) and thomson seat post(I need a straight pull seat post), is it worth spending my time?
I know how to service bb. So labor fee is no issue.

i'd race this gear.
Old 11-05-15, 07:09 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
i'd race this gear.
Ditto. Why not?
Old 11-05-15, 07:27 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you for your help.
Maybe I should order some washers tomorrow for emergency
Old 11-05-15, 07:30 PM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Oh please don't try this gearing(52 x15).
I think this gearing is terrible.
So I'm planning to sell my crankset and get a Sugino 75 DD with 48chainring, but I'm not sure if this is worth spending my time.
Old 11-05-15, 10:30 PM
Baby Puke

Maybe just get some different size chainrings??
Old 11-05-15, 10:30 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That is literally my favourite race gear
Old 11-05-15, 11:12 PM
carleton
Elitist

Oh please don't try this gearing(52 x15).
I think this gearing is terrible.
So I'm planning to sell my crankset and get a Sugino 75 DD with 48chainring, but I'm not sure if this is worth spending my time.
Originally Posted by gtrob
That is literally my favourite race gear
I agree. It's really nice. It's indistinguishable from 45/13. Both are rare to find people racing in local races due to the odd equipment needed (52t, 45t, 13t) and maybe the need for a longer (52/15) or shorter (45/13) chain.

Feels, really really good.

Last edited by carleton; 11-05-15 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-05-15, 11:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

Thank you for your help.
Maybe I should order some washers tomorrow for emergency
No. Don't waste your money.

It took years for me to crack the first washer...then I used it for months before getting a replacement. Then I went to a local shop that had Felt stuff and the mechanic gave me 2 for free. I ordered some from LOOK USA when I ordered some other stuff from them.

Don't overthink this.
Old 11-06-15, 05:26 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
^^This. I'd race the bike as it is just with some extra rings and cogs...
Old 11-06-15, 05:29 AM
gycho77

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
I'm trying to get new crankset, because I do not have to spend any extra money.
So I will get a new charinring(48) and crankset without any cost, but my friend is saying that I should not sell my old campagnolo crankset

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.