Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for a decent bike for under $1000

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 08-15-17, 07:12 AM
apc65

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm new to the hobby and looking to take my first (long?) tour from RI to DC in sept 2018 (some hotel, some camping) with panniers (unsure about a trailer) hopeing to average abt 40 miles or better per day on mostly pavement with some dirt roads.....with smaller tours (2-3 days) before.....I'm looking to buy first touring bike (new) for under $1000 (maybe a little more)....At this point I am not confident enough to buy used as I am not quite sure what I should look for, so I feel that an out-of-box bike (with a few early follow on upgrades i.e.: brooks saddle, etc) is the way to go for my first bike....my current weight is abt 250 lbs but I am on track to get down to abt 200 by late winter (does this effect why bike to get or when to get it?)....anyways any bike recommendations (or other tips) would be greatly appreciated....thank you in advance.
Old 08-15-17, 07:41 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
many folks will have advice for you on the right bike. make sure it fits you and don't worry too much about your weight. most touring bikes can handle plenty of weight. they just get a little different feeling is all. your goal of 40 miles per day is very doable and quite sensible. i would also say if you can't fit everything on the bike without a trailer you are probably taking too much.

the main thing i want to say is congrats for making the commitment. it will change your life for the better. you almost couldnt pick a cooler or better way to improve your health, and its a gas!!!!
Old 08-15-17, 07:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Fuji Touring. Fuji Bikes | Touring
REI's COOP Adv 1.1 once it goes on sale this fall. itll be 20% off or so placing it under $1000. https://www.rei.com/product/109579/c...v-11-bike-2017 The COOP bike doesnt have a thru axle front hub- thats a website mistake. The wheels will have quality Deore hubs laced to quality Mavic rims.

As for weight- dont even consider your current weight to be an issue. Just get a bike with 36h wheels and take them to a bike shop that is capable of ensuring the wheels are properly tensioned and true(this is different from a shop just truing them). It isnt a big deal and basically any bike you buy in this price range should have the wheels checked out.

Both of these bikes will get you anywhere you want to go.

Both bikes have the same crank gearing and cassette gearing. The Fuji is 9speed and the COOP is 10speed. The COOP has 'nicer' shifting components, but both bikes have quality drivetrains that will last for a long time. Both are very well spec'd.
Old 08-15-17, 08:02 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1953 Post(s)
Liked 3,634 Times in 1,671 Posts
see i new there would be great advice. that fuji would be awesome in my book. plenty of gears and a rack to get started!
Old 08-15-17, 08:25 AM
BlarneyHammer

Bikes: Invictus, Valeria, Jackie, and Vanguard

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Another vote for Fuji Touring. Probably the best, most tour-ready bike for under $1,000. At $750, you'll even have a few hundred bucks left over for panniers and whatever else you need.
Old 08-15-17, 09:02 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just want to say that at $1K you won't get much diminishing return in that price range. A $2K bicycle pretty much really is twice as good as a $1K. a $4K bicycle 4X ? No!! There's some better stuff in the $1-2K range if your budget permits.
Old 08-15-17, 09:19 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
If you don't like bar-end shifters (I do) and know what size you need and can do some basic assembly, the Windsor Tourist is a very similar bike to the Fuji with STI shifters: Save Up to 60% Off Touring Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Windsor Bikes - Tourist

And no, dropping from 250 to 200 is probably not going to affect you that much to make you want to wait on buying the bike.
Old 08-15-17, 09:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
REI's COOP Adv 1.1 once it goes on sale this fall. itll be 20% off or so placing it under $1000. https://www.rei.com/product/109579/c...v-11-bike-2017

For mostly paved roads, either of these (or maybe a Surly LHT if you can find one on closeout at your local bike shop this fall) would be my pick.

If you're going to be on long, or many, dirt roads, you might want to look at the REI Adv 2.1 instead. The 2.1's tires are wider, which may be beneficial (dirt roads in the east tend to be more rotten than those further west).

Despite what some non-touring rabble-rouser might say, any of these will serve you well for your planned first tour.
Old 08-15-17, 10:25 AM
bradtx

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Raleigh, Santana

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Good points in pdlamb's post, but I feel that both the Fuji and the REI bikes can cover decades of touring duty with normal maintenance. I do like to advise retensioning all n ew wheel sets.

Brad
Old 08-15-17, 10:29 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
You looking at bare bikes for $1K , then spending more to make it into a packed pannier hauler?
Old 08-15-17, 10:42 AM
apc65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, $1000 for the basic bike, outfitting with be extra
Old 08-15-17, 02:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

FWIW any bike you use to go on a bike tour, riding, becomes a touring bike..
Old 08-15-17, 02:45 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
FWIW any bike you use to go on a bike tour, riding, becomes a touring bike..
For years, that hasnt been worth much. Ill abbreviate the comment since thats done so much in forums- FYTHBWM.

Seriously, it a great mindset to have- "hey, i dont need everything to be perfect to get out and tour". But its also worth basically nothing as advice in many(most?) situations. Sure, the OP could buy a kids bike from the 70s with a banana seat and tour, but that isnt the clearly stated direction the OP wants to go and so saying anything is usable doesnt help.

cue the obligatory picture of that old dude in the hat with a cheap suspension fork bike overpacked with stuff who has traveled the world as proof that anything can be a touring bike. Its that time in a thread, i guess.
Old 08-15-17, 02:58 PM
speshelite
Banned

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by apc65
I'm new to the hobby and looking to take my first (long?) tour from RI to DC in sept 2018 (some hotel, some camping) with panniers (unsure about a trailer) hopeing to average abt 40 miles or better per day on mostly pavement with some dirt roads.....with smaller tours (2-3 days) before.....I'm looking to buy first touring bike (new) for under $1000 (maybe a little more)....At this point I am not confident enough to buy used as I am not quite sure what I should look for, so I feel that an out-of-box bike (with a few early follow on upgrades i.e.: brooks saddle, etc) is the way to go for my first bike....my current weight is abt 250 lbs but I am on track to get down to abt 200 by late winter (does this effect why bike to get or when to get it?)....anyways any bike recommendations (or other tips) would be greatly appreciated....thank you in advance.
How about the nashbar touring bike?

Nashbar Touring Bike

It's $930 list but on sale for 30% off (a little over $700 with shipping and tax). Pretty decent spec with deore/alivio drivetrain. The 26x34 low gear sounds pretty awesome. A rack is standard as well.
Old 08-15-17, 03:01 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
For mostly paved roads, either of these (or maybe a Surly LHT if you can find one on closeout at your local bike shop this fall) would be my pick.

If you're going to be on long, or many, dirt roads, you might want to look at the REI Adv 2.1 instead. The 2.1's tires are wider, which may be beneficial (dirt roads in the east tend to be more rotten than those further west).

Despite what some non-touring rabble-rouser might say, any of these will serve you well for your planned first tour.
+1

I was in REI this morning and gave the 1.1 a good look. It is well set up (imo) and would be a good bike right out of the box.
Old 08-15-17, 03:03 PM
manapua_man

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think all the bikes that were suggested are good choices if OP is looking for something touring-specific.

That said, I think it would be a good idea to load the bike, ride around for a bit and then have a shop take a look at the wheels to see if there are any potential issues there.
Old 08-15-17, 09:21 PM
Arvadaman

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with the REI ADV 2.1 suggestion.
Old 08-17-17, 03:04 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
REI's COOP Adv 1.1 once it goes on sale this fall. itll be 20% off or so placing it under $1000. https://www.rei.com/product/109579/c...v-11-bike-2017 The COOP bike doesnt have a thru axle front hub- thats a website mistake. The wheels will have quality Deore hubs laced to quality Mavic rims.
If you're going to be on long, or many, dirt roads, you might want to look at the REI Adv 2.1 instead. The 2.1's tires are wider, which may be beneficial (dirt roads in the east tend to be more rotten than those further west)..
Yup, very good advice about REI. I bought my road bike from them on clearance and I'm expecting them to start clearancing their bike inventory at the end of August. For a while the 2.1 disappeared from the website, but looks like it's back and only in a Small size and you'll have trouble finding one locally (but hey, REI return policy!)

I am personally interested in the ADV3.1 as an all-around and light touring bike. But the 1.1 is more of a LHT clone. The Fuji Touring looks nice but personally I would want disc brakes.
Old 08-18-17, 07:51 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2578 Post(s)
Liked 1,901 Times in 1,193 Posts
Originally Posted by autonomy
But the 1.1 is more of a LHT clone.

I think you've got that backward; I think REI was selling the Randonee (1.1 before the Great Relabeling) long before Surly came out with the Trucker.

Just MHO, but the LHT and the Randonee handle very similarly; the Fuji is a bit sportier unloaded.
Old 08-18-17, 01:41 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
I think you've got that backward; I think REI was selling the Randonee (1.1 before the Great Relabeling) long before Surly came out with the Trucker.

Just MHO, but the LHT and the Randonee handle very similarly; the Fuji is a bit sportier unloaded.
If you put a LHT and an older Randonee together you would gave a very hard time pointing out differences. I think the forks were identical, and I'd bet a beer they were made in the same factory.
Old 08-18-17, 01:49 PM
fietsbob
Banned

FWIW Maxway TW Ltd is a big OEM manufacturer of many of the Steel bikes you buy now, making them to order for the importing brand name company.
Old 08-22-17, 02:04 PM
apc65

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well guys...thanks for your help.....I am strongly leaning towards the Fuji touring....I called around but no one has any left....but one of the dealers is ordering a 2018 for me to try out (in my size and choice of color) and if I don't want it he'll just put in on the floor....the Fuji site still only shows the 2017 but the dealer was looking at a 'dealer book' which give all the specs and pics for the 2018....the price went up to 899...the frame was tweaked, different angles and lengths (chainstays got longer, etc) to increase fit and bag and rack clearances....mounts for a third bottle cage, an air pump peg, and a chain hanger for easy rear wheel removal....it's now a 10 speed (as opposed to 9)...a lot of the components are the same brand but different models....comes in either blue or black.....and you can get it with disc brakes (optional).....so in two weeks i will get to check it out.....thanks for your help
Old 08-22-17, 02:53 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get the discs!! I hope the new bicycle works well for you.
Old 08-22-17, 09:04 PM
LeeG

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
At 250lbs and panniers go straight to comfy tires

https://www.rei.com/product/109329/c...v-21-bike-2017
Old 08-23-17, 03:53 PM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 for Fuji Touring. By far the best bike you can get in the < $1000 price range. The REI bikes are good bikes, but they're a few hundred dollars more than the FUJI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.