Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Koolstop Brake Pads - I'm Impressed!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-01-21, 10:12 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Upgraded the old stock pads on three different bikes: road with calipers, hardtail with linear pulls and a gravel fixie with calipers.

I tried a combination of their black (dry weather), dual compound (all weather) and salmon (wet) and they all outperform the stock pads in terms of modulation, stopping power and overall feel. The dual compound and salmon did very well in wet weather. I think it is a slightly softer material than the black as I picked up bits of road grit in the salmon when riding in the rain but not on the black for the dual compounds.

If I had to choose, I would stick with the dual compound or the salmon as I feel the stopping power is slightly better in the dry but definitely in the wet than the all blacks. The difference in dry weather performance is subtle so I don't think it matters too much. YMMV I know the salmon pads are highly regarded and think it is KoolStop's bread and butter.

They may wear faster than other pads, but at about $10 a set, I don't mind changing them more often to get better braking performance.

Oh, and they are silent unless you lock the wheel suddenly (and they WILL lock the wheels if you are too enthusiastic with your brake lever pressure).

I highly recommend Koolstops.

P.S. They have great customer service and are made in the USA if that is important to you. It is to me.

Last edited by Symox; 02-01-21 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-01-21, 11:53 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Second the salmons. Softer pads tend to wear faster but they offer way more bite and tbh salmons are cheap and long lasting compared to carbon pads like black prince, which cost like $35 and you can wear those out in one really hilly ride lol
Likes For smashndash:
Old 02-02-21, 02:08 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
As I always say if they have Stop in the name they are likely to be good pads. I love both of the Stops Kool and Swiss probably some of the finest brake pads on the market.
Old 02-02-21, 04:43 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

If I had to choose one...

It would be the salmon. Great stopping in dry and wet

only downside I’ve found is they can pick up road grit in the wet. But when this happens I just clean them. MUCH better feathering control of the brakes than Shimano stock
Old 02-06-21, 09:20 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Koolstop are good. I use the Eagle 2 (Eagle Claw) salmon pads on my bike with cantilever brakes. But the slightly lower priced Jagwire black long, thin pads curved to fit the rim work just as well in mixed conditions. Main advantage to the Koolstop Eagle 2 and similar pads with the wedge end is they're easy to toe-in to reduce squealing. The Jagwire pad was a bit fussier to setup without squealing.

Ditto the replaceable inserts in cartridge type brakes. I have those inserts in Koolstop and Shimano brands. Both seem to work equally well.

Rim surface is a big factor too. Some of my older wheelsets use those 1980s hard anodized, low profile lightweight rims that are sorta grayish in color (Araya CTL-370, Wolber Super Champion Alpines). Those anodized surfaces are slick and demand better pads. The plain aluminum rims aren't as fussy.
Old 02-07-21, 04:54 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
This season I replaced the stock pads on my CAAD 12 and my Guru Sidero with Swissstop and I couldn't believe the difference.
Old 02-07-21, 09:37 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Upgraded the old stock pads on three different bikes: road with calipers, hardtail with linear pulls and a gravel fixie with calipers.

I tried a combination of their black (dry weather), dual compound (all weather) and salmon (wet) and they all outperform the stock pads in terms of modulation, stopping power and overall feel. The dual compound and salmon did very well in wet weather. I think it is a slightly softer material than the black as I picked up bits of road grit in the salmon when riding in the rain but not on the black for the dual compounds.

If I had to choose, I would stick with the dual compound or the salmon as I feel the stopping power is slightly better in the dry but definitely in the wet than the all blacks. The difference in dry weather performance is subtle so I don't think it matters too much. YMMV I know the salmon pads are highly regarded and think it is KoolStop's bread and butter.

They may wear faster than other pads, but at about $10 a set, I don't mind changing them more often to get better braking performance.

Oh, and they are silent unless you lock the wheel suddenly (and they WILL lock the wheels if you are too enthusiastic with your brake lever pressure).

I highly recommend Koolstops.

P.S. They have great customer service and are made in the USA if that is important to you. It is to me.
I’ve always found the Salmons to be a bit grabby in the dry, but the wet performance more than makes up for this. Have had them on all my “good” bikes for as long as I can remember
Likes For Litespud:
Old 02-07-21, 09:40 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
What sort of calipers you using?

I have koolstops on my XC bike. Very strong brakes . The black pads are awful in wet.

I'm curious whether my old floppy dia compe sidepulls would benefit from the multi weathers.
Old 02-07-21, 05:00 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
This season I replaced the stock pads on my CAAD 12 and my Guru Sidero with Swissstop and I couldn't believe the difference.
+1. My usual go-to is the BXP blue ones.
Old 02-08-21, 08:47 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts
Was sold on Kool Stops decades ago. Excellent pads which always gave me confidence, even stopping a tandem.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 02-08-21, 10:32 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
I put them on mine and my son's BMX bike this year. Major improvement there as well.
Likes For Pizzaiolo Americano:
Old 02-15-21, 10:48 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Moisture
What sort of calipers you using?

I have koolstops on my XC bike. Very strong brakes . The black pads are awful in wet.

I'm curious whether my old floppy dia compe sidepulls would benefit from the multi weathers.
My main bike has Shimano 105 calipers which I love.

I used the Kool Stops on my MTB with dia compe sidepulls and it was an immediate improvement.
Old 02-15-21, 10:50 PM
Symox

Road today in light drizzle and the salmon pads worked flawlessly. I LOVE these KoolStop pads and will continue to use them from now on

(btw, I'm no longer picking up bits in the pads - might have been bad luck that day)
Old 02-16-21, 12:01 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4268 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Koolstop salmon for my rim brakes with alloy rims. Swissstop black prince for the bike with rim brakes and carbon rims. In the case of the latter, it's the best I've found, but I still don't like carbon rims and rim brakes.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 02-16-21, 09:53 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Never felt any difference between Shimano and Koolstop pads, but I have tried side by side. They both work. Only use black, no need for salmon.