Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike tire width

Old 06-24-21, 08:31 AM
nrsmd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike tire width

It seems intuitive that thinner tires should travel faster than wider tires, but maybe not.

What do you recommend for a road bike (700C) tire width and air pressure?
Old 06-24-21, 08:38 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
Here are a couple fairly recent threads on this topic.

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...s-30-32-a.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/general-cycling-discussion/1160004-what-s-optimal-tire-width-maximum-speed-roads.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/1231582-rolling-resistance.html
Likes For scottfsmith:
Old 06-24-21, 10:55 AM
VicBC_Biker

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
If you are asking because you have a road bike, the first step is do do some measuring to find the maximum size tire that can fit in your frame (chainstays, fork). You need at least 3-4 mm clearance, according to the info I got when I put larger tires on my bike.

NB: maximum inflated tire width doesn't necessarily match the published width number... i.e. a '28 mm' tire could inflate to 30 mm or 26, depending on the brand and also the rim width.
Likes For VicBC_Biker:
Old 06-24-21, 12:05 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Vibration given off by narrower tires feels like speed but may not be faster. Go with the widest tire you can fit if a road/cross bike and if a fat bike you are riding not on sand and snow go with the skinniest tire your rim can handle.
Old 06-24-21, 12:09 PM
BikingViking793 

Bikes: 2015 Felt Z75 Disc, 2008 Fuji Cross Comp, 2010 Trek Navigator 1.0, 1974 Raleigh Sports, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, 1981 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Surly Cross Check, 2021 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Vibration given off by narrower tires feels like speed but may not be faster. Go with the widest tire you can fit if a road/cross bike and if a fat bike you are riding not on sand and snow go with the skinniest tire your rim can handle.
Wider tires are more comfortable. Go over the bumps faster.
Likes For BikingViking793:
Old 06-24-21, 12:29 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
All other things being equal, wider tires have similar or less rolling resistance caused by flex in the casing.
All other things being equal, wider tires are a bit heavier than the same tire in a narrower width.
These considerations are generally true when looking at the same model tire in different widths. However, if comparing two tires that are not the same make and model in different widths, often wider tires are the heavier and thicker and stiffer type which roll more slowly, while it is easier to find narrower tires with thin and supple casings which roll better.

Depending on how closely your tire width matches your rim width, a wider tire may have more aerodynamic resistance at high speeds. A big mismatch in rim/tire width (so the tire mounted on the narrow rim has an 'omega' shaped cross section will generally have more aerodynamic resistance than a rim/tire combo that are close to the same width.

A wider tire will almost always be faster on rough or loose surfaces. A wider tire at a lower pressure will glide over surface imperfections, while a higher pressure narrow tire will tend to bounce you and your bike up and down, which is a loss of forward momentum. On soft surfaces a narrow tire will tend to carve a deeper groove while wider tires will be more likely to float on top, which uses less energy.

The great thing about tires is that they are a 'wear item', so you can try a new pair every season or so, or pop new ones on and keep the removed ones as spares or for riding different conditions. I like to take the perspective that riding enough to wear out a set of tires deserves a reward, and I reward myself with a new set of tires!
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-24-21, 12:34 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
28mm minimum width for me. If the bike won't take that, I'd get a different bike.
Likes For Rolla:
Old 06-24-21, 12:45 PM
Flatforkcrown

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 159 Posts
I’d go with the biggest tire your frame will fit, and the most supple tire you can get in that size. On my bike that will fit them the 30mm vittoria corsa tubulars are heavenly.
Likes For Flatforkcrown:
Old 06-24-21, 06:32 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
The simplest rule of thumb is : Fat rider Fat tire. Skinny rider Skinny tire.

For an explanation, consult this chart:
Old 06-25-21, 04:54 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,706 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by nrsmd

What do you recommend for a road bike (700C) tire width and air pressure?
There is not enough info here to make any specific recommendation. We need to know what frame clearance you have (older bikes often don’t have enough room for modern wider tyres). Also need to know your weight and how smooth your road surfaces are.

The general trend is clearly toward wider road tyres. 28 mm is now a very common width compared to 23 mm a decade ago. If your roads are rough then 32 mm is a good choice too. Typical pressures are now in the 60-80 psi range with these wider, higher volume tyres.
Old 06-25-21, 05:23 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Minimum of 32 mm...I won't purchase any tires smaller than 32mm....My favorite size for road and off road is something around 45mm.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 06-25-21, 07:23 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
fwiw - my road bike has 25mm tires, I weight 225lbs + bike & use approx 100-110 psi rear & 90-100 psi front. by trial & error this work for me for our local roads
Old 06-25-21, 07:25 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
All other things being equal, wider tires have similar or less rolling resistance caused by flex in the casing.
All other things being equal, wider tires are a bit heavier than the same tire in a narrower width.
The big assumption here is that all other things are equal. Once you start looking carefully, most (not all) tire models start picking up sidewall stiffness as the width increases, usually between 25 and 32 mm wide. That's why tires wider than 25 or so often have higher rolling resistance than narrower tires. The exceptions are usually pricey.

Many road bikes older than five years are limited as to the size tire they'll take, often maxing out at 25. In that case, ride the widest tire that'll fit. Otherwise, you'll have to try a few and pick your own optimum combination of width, ride, price, and puncture resistance.
Old 06-25-21, 07:37 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
The big assumption here is that all other things are equal. Once you start looking carefully, most (not all) tire models start picking up sidewall stiffness as the width increases, usually between 25 and 32 mm wide. That's why tires wider than 25 or so often have higher rolling resistance than narrower tires. The exceptions are usually pricey.
I don't know this to be generally untrue, but there are definitely tires available in multiple widths that do not follow your description. I am a big fan of Panaracer Pasela tires, which are not expensive (although not easy to find these days), and the larger widths are definitely made with the same construction as the smaller widths. To be fair, there just aren't that many tires made in the same model that come in widths from below 30mm to above 30mm, and lightweight construction wider tires are more rare than lightweight construction narrow tires.

ANyhoo, here is a rolling test of one particular model available in many widths. They even publish stats like sidewall and tread thickness, and the wide tires seem to be very similar, if not made the same as the narrow tires. The widest tire has the lowest RR and the narrowest tire has the highest RR.
https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...000-comparison
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 06-25-21, 07:45 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
The simplest rule of thumb is : Fat rider Fat tire. Skinny rider Skinny tire.

For an explanation, consult this chart:
Pretty funny. Berton's calc page tells me I should be running about 112PSI in the rear and about 91 in the front. This absolutely flies in the face of all those "experts" who claim I should be running pressures much, much lower! I use trial and error to arrive at a comfortable and usable pressure, as always. For my tires and wheels I ended up at 95/100 front/rear. Just because I like the way it feels.
Old 06-25-21, 07:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
What's fun is you can still find sources on the interwebs referring to 25 mm as "wide" tires.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-25-21, 08:25 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
I think it is safe to say that a wider tire is more comfortable than a narrower tire.

As far as being faster, I think there are other variables that impact speed more than just tire width.

Personally, for a lot on non-competitive riders, I think dollars spent per mile probably has a greater influence on tire selection than getting the fastest tire available.

I should add that flats per ride might have a greater influence than the optimum rolling resistance. Fixing a flat turns the fastest tire into the slowest.

Everything is a compromise.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 06-25-21, 09:26 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I think it is safe to say that a wider tire is more comfortable than a narrower tire.

As far as being faster, I think there are other variables that impact speed more than just tire width.

Personally, for a lot on non-competitive riders, I think dollars spent per mile probably has a greater influence on tire selection than getting the fastest tire available.

I should add that flats per ride might have a greater influence than the optimum rolling resistance. Fixing a flat turns the fastest tire into the slowest.

John

That's what I think too. There's lots more to it than just tire width and air pressure.
Old 06-25-21, 10:02 AM
Cakonopka

Bikes: Cube Attain Pro 2020

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had 25s on my old bike, newer bike has 28s and omg they are much comfier. Would never go back. And give me more confidence on the road!
Old 06-25-21, 11:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John

I can notice a difference in speed based on the tread of the tire, but based on width is not noticeable at all. The speed differences are so negligible that I agree with you that except for racers, other considerations are generally going to be way more important. I like the way you sliced up the calculations.

I like the Conti GPs (4000 and 5000) because they are smooth (which I prefer) and durable.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-25-21, 11:57 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Quoted: 1538 Post(s)
Liked 1,696 Times in 953 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Pretty funny. Berton's calc page tells me I should be running about 112PSI in the rear and about 91 in the front. This absolutely flies in the face of all those "experts" who claim I should be running pressures much, much lower! I use trial and error to arrive at a comfortable and usable pressure, as always. For my tires and wheels I ended up at 95/100 front/rear. Just because I like the way it feels.
Frankly if you have to exceed 90psi, it's probably time to consider moving up to the next wider tire. When I am rolling on 25mm tires, 90psi feels OK and 100psi feels like my dental fillings are going to come off.
Old 06-25-21, 12:17 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Berto's chart has been obsolete for years and people still trot it out like it's definitive fact whenever this comes up.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 06-25-21, 12:19 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Frankly if you have to exceed 90psi, it's probably time to consider moving up to the next wider tire. When I am rolling on 25mm tires, 90psi feels OK and 100psi feels like my dental fillings are going to come off.
Lots of variables involved. Wheel type, width, frame material and type, rider weight, etc. I use what works for me and my ride, a 2017 Roubaix that absorbs road shock really well.
Old 06-25-21, 12:19 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Minimum of 32 mm...I won't purchase any tires smaller than 32mm....My favorite size for road and off road is something around 45mm.
Yeah, I really have no use for anything smaller than 32. All my rides include at least some trail miles, so that is the bare minimum. I run front and rear the same and lately at 60 psi though I’ve run lower, too. Anything narrower with higher pressures would be less comfortable and less fun.

Otto
Old 06-25-21, 12:20 PM
dmanthree

Originally Posted by ksryder
Berto's chart has been obsolete for years and people still trot it out like it's definitive fact whenever this comes up.
That was my point; there is NO definitive source when it comes to tire pressure. Until everyone is the same weight, riding the same wheels, tires, bikes, and road surfaces. Until then, just use your brain and experience to choose what works for you.
Likes For dmanthree:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.