Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Slow and low.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Slow and low.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-21, 12:50 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Great responses and thank you!

1. TBH right now I wish I had just gotten the scope and was done with it. PT has helped in my conditioning but not really with the pain.
2. I’ve sworn off Strava and I don’t monitor time, just mileage and then to keep from overdoing it.
3. I snowbird in South Florida and was pleasantly surprised by how many people hit the roads there, in spite of the substantial risks. I’m taking my bike the next time.
4. My goal is to get into smiles per miles. What ever happened to Dvrfox, BTW?

Old 07-18-21, 02:19 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Intermittent fasting did not work for me .... but it works really well for others. I am always willing to experiment when I am not getting the results I want anyway.

As for "Coming back," I haven't had any serious injuries---a broken collarbone, but that wasn't that big a deal .... it was a mix of mental and physical issues interacting which dropped my riding from several thousand miles a year to a few hundred.

Now that I am getting back into riding, I find that all my old "goals": farther, faster, more! are meaningless. I feel pretty wiped out after short slow rides, which is okay, but it seems increasing performance is glacial---it is really hard to stay consistent and even if I get several riders in a row, every one is slow and difficult. I am doing a little better than five mph, but not hugely.

For me, the only thing that matters is reconnecting with the joy of riding. I cannot ride for speed, or endurance, i cannot go exploring new areas---I cannot even ride to the end of the areas I already know. The only thing I can do is Ride my Bike .... and it turns out, I still like riding my bike.

I still track my numbers, but I really don't mind if they go up or down. That is no longer the point. If I can get out away from the desk or couch and ride at all, I win.

So, ride short, ride slow, ride without measuring anything, whatever. If you like riding, ride your bike. it is the thing in itself.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 07-18-21, 02:38 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8261 Post(s)
Liked 8,996 Times in 4,455 Posts
Originally Posted by Dudelsack
. What ever happened to Dvrfox, BTW?
I think he just got tired of the forum and quit.
Old 07-18-21, 05:08 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4385 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
For weight loss I just do a bit of calorie counting for a while and for me it works well - although I'm only looking to lose maybe 10 lbs max for some specific climbing events. But it always surprises me how many calories we consume without really being aware. If I count calories for a few weeks I can adjust my intake and drop those 10 lbs over the course of a few months. I agree with others who say diet is way more important than exercise for weight control. Although ultimately it all works together for a healthy lifestyle.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 07-19-21, 07:41 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
What ever happened to Dvrfox, BTW?
I thought he got hit by a car and died on a bike ride, but maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. Is he the guy who used to call "hooey" on everything?
Likes For DiabloScott:
Old 07-20-21, 03:19 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
Left knee capsular and meniscus tear. I did the whole PT program after the sports related injury, and that didn’t work out well at all. I still had discomfort- ok pain, so the surgery was a go. Looking back, I should have had the arthroscopy fun after the incident. My surgeon’s specialty was knee tune- ups, so all is well. Life is good.
Old 07-20-21, 04:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
What ever happened to Dvrfox, BTW?
Banned in 2014, apparently.
Old 07-20-21, 08:19 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Ride today: 4.2 MPH, speed, very slow. Condition: whooped.

I’ve been on this site intermittently for >15 years, first as the evil troll Weak Link and then (by mod permission) Dudelsack. I was a decent rider who became totally seduced by the eternal Internet games, resulting in a very depressing weight gain and deconditioning. Now I am recently (semi)retired and am dividing my life between Kentucky and Florida. Furthermore I sustained a medial meniscus tear, right knee, and am trying to rehabilitate it nonoperatively. I’m trying to get back in the game. It’s going to be low, slow and painful.

I saw someone else post that they had slipped and it seemed to me that a few posters were a bit unkind to him. Please feel free to post your thoughts and rides here. Rides ideally should be less than 10 miles and the speed should be no faster than one calendar day.
Hi, Dudelsack, I remember you and have wondered where you are! Welcome back! I've had a hiatus as well, of about three years. Not long after it started I fell on ice and had a wrist fracture, which has healed 1000% with the help of surgery and PT. After that I retired and got similar lost in the Internet, including BF. Now I'm trying to get into the saddle more, and have had no more injuries. When I do get on the bike it's still smooth and fluid to glide over the road or MUPs, I just need to work on comfort and fitness.

One aspect of my motivation to return to bikes is that my wife (Mrs Road Fan is even a little older than I am) can now go out and crack off a ride to Lake Erie and back (45 miles round trip from the trailhead), and I am wasted after the first 25 miles -- need work!

Didn't you wear that chicken hat on your avatar?
Old 07-20-21, 08:22 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Banned in 2014, apparently.
I think DnvrFox ultimately left on his own, but I could be wrong. He started a chat group on Google, I think, but I think it's dormant now.
Old 07-20-21, 05:15 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
I went for a ride yesterday, about 15 miles, about 10 or 11 average speed, all flat. I enjoyed it, actually. I have a comfortable bike, no maintenance except airing the tires, don't wear Spandex, just cruise along. I stop if there's something interesting. My bike:

It has an 8 speed Shimano hub, hydraulic disc brakes and belt drive. Plus the bars are higher and the saddle is a bit more cushy than it's original parts.
I like your bike and your style.
Likes For takenreasy:
Old 07-20-21, 05:21 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Your relaxed riding routine is similar to mine. No "kit", no clocks, no computers, no concerns about fitness metrics. Just riding for pleasure.My Bike Direct version Motobecane also has an 8 speed Shimano hub, but conventional brakes and chain drive. The replacement saddle is a Brooks B-66 which I took off my retired Vaterland bicycle. It has a cloth cover fabricated by my wife .
Another rider with the right idea and a shiny quick release master link!
Old 07-20-21, 05:33 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
Great responses and thank you!

1. TBH right now I wish I had just gotten the scope and was done with it. PT has helped in my conditioning but not really with the pain.
PT may not have helped you avoid surgery, but for many of us it has worked tremendously. I had a bad torn meniscus from playing soccer + running a few years ago. It got to the point where I could barely walk up and down stairs, walking in general was difficult and I had severe knee locking. I visited a surgeon who gave me the standard "sure, we can go in and clean that up but then you'll need PT plus a lengthy recovery period" speech. After reading up on the less than 50% surgery success rate of blind studies where they compared surgery + PT versus sham surgery (i.e. making incisions but not actually doing anything else) + PT) I decided to try the PT route. I went through two crummy physical therapists who just gave me generic exercises to do. The third one was great...spent two sessions purely on isolating the problems I needed to work on, asked me how dedicated I would be to fixing the problems and then got me to hard work on targeted exercises. Net result...my knee is perfectly fine now. I can ride, run, play soccer, whatever, without pain. Importantly though, YMMV. At the very least, if you do decide to do the surgery then your PT conditioning may help to speed your recovery. I just suggest that you ask yourself if you've taken the PT far enough to be sure that it's not working and that you really want to go under the knife.
Old 07-21-21, 06:28 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
I have never had any surgeries or injuries that inhibit my ability to ride. I am just old and slow but I don't care. Yesterday I rode 14 miles at average 11.5 MPH. I track it just for the hell of it but I don't really have the desire to improve anything (other than lose about 10 pounds). I ride because I like to ride and I always ride alone as that seems to help me destress.
Likes For probe1957:
Old 07-21-21, 08:17 AM
big john

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
I thought he got hit by a car and died on a bike ride, but maybe I'm confusing him with someone else. Is he the guy who used to call "hooey" on everything?
Maybe you're confusing him with patencad? Denver asked to be banned, other members have also done that.
Old 07-21-21, 08:21 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Road Fan

Didn't you wear that chicken hat on your avatar?
That was Doohickie.
Old 07-21-21, 10:09 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by big john
That was Doohickie.
Okay, thanks!!!
Old 07-21-21, 11:19 AM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by Maelochs
For me, the only thing that matters is reconnecting with the joy of riding. I cannot ride for speed, or endurance, i cannot go exploring new areas---I cannot even ride to the end of the areas I already know. The only thing I can do is Ride my Bike .... and it turns out, I still like riding my bike.

I still track my numbers, but I really don't mind if they go up or down. That is no longer the point. If I can get out away from the desk or couch and ride at all, I win.

So, ride short, ride slow, ride without measuring anything, whatever. If you like riding, ride your bike. it is the thing in itself.
Exactly and thank you! I just rode around the neighbourhood. Knee hurts but I can tell I’m getting stronger.

I’ve never worn a chicken on my head.

Did patentcad really die? So sorry if that was true.

PS I got dry needled yesterday. If you’re into pain and suffering, it’s for you. I thought it hurt like hell.

Old 07-21-21, 11:35 AM
Dudelsack 

And so I tried to track down Pcad, without success, but I came across some vintage threads and names I remember. It reminds me of a Paul Simon lyric:

Some have died
Some have fled from themselves
Or struggled from here to get there.

Makes me greatful to be above ground.

Old 07-21-21, 12:01 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Pcad post# 291 https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...brance-12.html
Old 07-21-21, 05:48 PM
Dudelsack 

So sad! PCad was a glorious larger than life tortured soul. The YouTube video was somber. I appreciate that there were no yapping heads to detract from the utter sadness of the scene. I hope he is at peace.

Old 07-22-21, 12:09 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
I've had meniscal snips in both knees, and in 2018 had a skiing accident that caused a tibial platform compression fracture. I needed surgery for that too, but recovered quickly ... 3 months or so and just in time to do the RAAM on a team.

Do the PT thing, but don't fear the meniscal surgery. Recovery should be pretty quick.

As for weight and riding ... yea ... with all kinds of health issues and COVID last year erasing my usual bike commuting, I gained 20 flippin pounds. I know that is not huge, but I'm not a big guy in the first place, so it was big enough to slow me down quite a bit, and especially with the concomitant lack of conditioning.

My advice is to forget how slow or fast you are going. I now go out with the goal of just riding at ANY speed and ANY distance. My only goal is to ride a certain amount of time. What happens for me is that once I get off my arse and start riding, the joy of it overtakes me and I find myself pushing harder and staying out longer than I planned. I am actually starting to remember why I liked climbing.

I don't do Strava. I don't even have an odometer on one of my bikes, and the other has a simple speedometer/altimeter that I rarely use.

Just ride and let things take care of themselves.

Last edited by Biker395; 07-22-21 at 12:16 PM.
Likes For Biker395:
Old 07-22-21, 03:10 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Retirement is the greatest thing ever invented and it has helped my cycling and mental health. Just keep having fun and you will look forward to riding. I was also quite shocked at how hard it is to make gains at this age, compared to 15 years ago.
I also lost some weight after retirement because I am no longer "stress eating". Other than that I have no control whatsoever of my diet and eat whatever I want whenever I want it.
In the past I have taken heat when I stated 99%+ of bike riders should just ride any way it pleases them. I still recommend it.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-23-21, 12:04 PM
Dudelsack 

Originally Posted by rydabent
In the past I have taken heat when I stated 99%+ of bike riders should just ride any way it pleases them. I still recommend it.
Heat? From whom? It’s your life and your bike.

Old 07-23-21, 12:42 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 944 Post(s)
Liked 1,974 Times in 565 Posts
Retirement is the greatest thing ever invented and it has helped my cycling and mental health.
It looks like at least semi-retirement is in my immediate future. I've worked my whole life since I was 12 ... even worked through law school, which is pretty much unheard of. I'm hoping I adjust to it as well as you have!

Old 07-23-21, 12:53 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
2. I’ve sworn off Strava and I don’t monitor time, just mileage and then to keep from overdoing it.
Here in Denver, with hills everywhere and almost unavoidable, in order to maintain consistency of stress during knee-hab (as I call it), one must monitor time, and NOT mileage, since riding 10 miles uphill is not nearly the same as riding 10 miles on the flats. I typically choose to ride for a max. of 3 hours if my knees are bothering me at all. If only on the flats that could be 45-50 miles, but if I instead do a long climb up a canyon, those same 3 hours of riding might only be 20 miles (10 up and 10 down).

Different pedal strokes for different folks.

Last edited by Riveting; 07-23-21 at 01:00 PM.
Likes For Riveting:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.