Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Change LHT canti breaks for V

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-17, 04:45 AM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts

After our first tour with my wife on her new LHT, we need to change breaks. We had some 1.6km km altitude mountains. Breaking for over an hour was impossible for her and the only way down was to stop every minute or two so she could rest her fingers. For normal and hilly riding she is fine but we have extreme conditions in Japan when we tour.

I have heard that V breaks offer greater breaking power. I want to try this before going to the expense of changing the drop bars to straight. (Her previous bike was a Specialized Sirrus Comp and she had not trouble at all on similar roads.)

So my questions: Are there different types of V breaks and if so, which work best? Any particular brand? Also, is there any problem changing from cantilever to V breaks on a LHT? I am not good at bike mechanics but would prefer to do it myself if possible. Finally, is there anything else besides V breaks that some can recommend. (We have no interest in disk breaks on a touring bike and would rather avoid that discussion).

Cheers

Waddo
Old 08-18-17, 05:53 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Leverage is leverage. What you gain in one end you lose in another.
Properly set up, there's little to no gain in rim pinch force in going from cantis to Vs.
Vs are easier to set up, but not (much) stronger by definition.
Vs require more cable pull than cantis, so unless you're willing to accept an unorthodox combo you will have to replace the lever too, or mount a thingy called a Travel Agent.
They're a little fiddly to set up, somewhat sensitive to contanimation and may shorten cable life some.
But generally OK and reliable, with a little more upkeep.

I think your first order of business should be to look over your canti setup.
The geometry, choice of pads, quality and installation of cables, cleanliness of rims...
Next would be braking technique.
"Riding" the brakes ie (near) constant braking is considered poor technique. Short bursts of harder braking is easier on both rider and equipment.

After that, it gets more exotic.
Discs are the kings WRT braking power vs hand effort.
And you say you don't want that.

One oddball thing to try is to run a front V-brake from a canti lever.
It will increase leverage, give more braking for a set amount of hand effort.
But pads needs to be run real close to the rim, and frequently adjusted. Removing wheel may require deflating the tire.
It is unlikely to work well on the rear due to the extra slop in the system b/c of the longer cabling run. Levers tend to bottom out early.
An expensive option is to get wheels built with ceramic coated rims.
The increased friction from the ceramic coating results in more braking for a set amount of hand effort.

By all means try Vs. But any big improvement is more likely to be from something else(pads, cabling) than the principal change from cantis to Vs)

Edit:
Is she braking from the hoods most of the time?
That, particularly with smaller-than-average hands, will take more effort.
Why not try interrupter levers?
Might be an inexpensive way to better braking and better ergonomics.

Last edited by dabac; 08-18-17 at 06:00 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 05:56 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 82 Posts
waddo-

I've found that the addition of cross-top (interrupter) levers to be the best way to add braking power to drop bars. See https://www.bikeforums.net/19795516-post7.html for photo. They simply add the ergonomic power braking position of mountain bike brake levers to the top of drops. There is only a limited amount of long term power one can apply curling the fingers around standard levers at the hoods or bending neck and stretching the fingers from the drops. Cross top levers are perfect for long extended descents, gravel or paved, and address that problem.

Last edited by BobG; 08-18-17 at 06:02 AM.
Old 08-18-17, 06:07 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
i agree with the interrupter levers. i use them on mustache bars with no other lever and they are great. my girlfriend had small hands and started with them first.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG0096A.jpg (96.8 KB, 148 views)
Old 08-18-17, 06:47 AM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by waddo
...I have heard that V breaks offer greater breaking power. I want to try this before going to the expense of changing the drop bars to straight. (Her previous bike was a Specialized Sirrus Comp and she had not trouble at all on similar roads.)...So my questions: Are there different types of V breaks and if so, which work best? Any particular brand? Also, is there any problem changing from cantilever to V breaks on a LHT...
The least costly way you can try this is to change the brake calipers from cantilever to Vee and the levers to long-cable-pull variety. I recommend Avid, Shimano or Tektro for calipers and Tektro for levers. I have had excellent results with Avid Single Digit 7 calipers. Lever-wise choices are more limited, Tektro FL520 or the cloned (and more expensive) Cane Creek Drop V lever are compatible with Vee brakes and fit drop handlebar. Changing to flat bar is not necessary to convert to Vee brakes. For the first time in more than a decade, Surly switched the 2017 Complete LHT from cantilever to Vee brakes. The Surly Cross Check Complete also is now equipped with Vee brakes.
Old 08-18-17, 07:02 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
When I went from Shimano Altus cantis to some cheap Tektro vees, the difference was night and day regarding stopping power. I don't think they're really any easier on the hands than cantis, though. Do remember you likely need to change levers, as others have mentioned. Do yourself a favor and pair whatever you go with with some Kool-Stop pads.
Old 08-18-17, 07:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
yup- interrupter brakes is what i was going to mention, like others have.

if anything, it will give her a different hand position to allow for different muscles to engage while braking.

Vbrakes do, at least for me, seem to lock up a wheel faster than canti brakes, but I dont think they are actually better performing. I enjoy cantis more because they seem to have some braking time before locking up and i like that.
If the canti's arent properly set up, then as mentioned that too could be an issue.

Anyways, there is a reason why some women's road bikes come with interruptor brakes- comfort and ease of use. Smaller hands can grip them easier than some STI brake lever designs.
Old 08-18-17, 08:33 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If you install V brakes, you did not talk about tire size or whether or not you have fenders (mudguards) on the bike. There are mini-V brakes that have short arms that can work with your existing brake levers. But those might not fit if you use larger tires or fenders. I use mini-V brakes on my folding bike, they take very little effort to pull, I have to be careful that I do not pull the brake lever on the front too hard or I could flip over the bike.

If you use longer arms on your V brakes, you should use a travel agent to convert the short cable pull brake lever to the brakes that require longer cable pull. I attached photos of bikes I have that have long arm V brakes with the travel agent. The second photo shows the travel agent quite well, google problem solvers travel agent for more information on that.

Some brake arm lengths are listed in this table.
Tech Tip: V-Brake Arm Lengths ? GRAVELBIKE

Originally Posted by BobG
waddo-

I've found that the addition of cross-top (interrupter) levers to be the best way to add braking power to drop bars. See https://www.bikeforums.net/19795516-post7.html for photo. They simply add the ergonomic power braking position of mountain bike brake levers to the top of drops. There is only a limited amount of long term power one can apply curling the fingers around standard levers at the hoods or bending neck and stretching the fingers from the drops. Cross top levers are perfect for long extended descents, gravel or paved, and address that problem.
Fully agree. If you try to add these levers, cutting the outer housing for the cable has to be quite accurate for length. If you do not have good cable cutting tools, you may want to have a good bike shop install them. But to save money you could put on the new handlebar tape yourself later.
Attached Images
20IMGP3677.jpg (96.8 KB, 141 views)
20IMGP2543.jpg (90.0 KB, 140 views)
Old 08-18-17, 09:27 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
It's BRAKES not BREAKS. Learn how to spell.
Old 08-18-17, 09:33 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian25
It's BRAKES not BREAKS. Learn how to spell.
jeeze, learn some grammers.

THEIR brakes, not breaks.
Old 08-18-17, 09:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Lever has been understood for over 2000 miles..

V brakes are a type 2 lever.. fulcrum at the end.. work , where the pad is, and effort is the far end where the cables attach .

longer the lever the further the effort end has to move, to do the work.

mini V brakes are a shorter lever, so effort end swing is less ie less cable pull..

I really like the German Magura hydraulic rim brakes.. they attach to V/cantildever bosses.

the pads move in a straight line to the rim, the pads attached to the hydraulic piston.
hose from hand lever - master goes to one cylinder, balance tube goes to the other..

I have been using mine for 9 years.. Kool Stop makes pads for them, too..

Old 08-18-17, 09:54 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
jeeze, learn some grammers.

THEIR brakes, not breaks.
Wouldn't it actually be They're, not Their? I don't see anything in possession of the brakes.
Old 08-18-17, 10:28 AM
Timequake

Bikes: 1982 Univega Gran Turismo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have to stop every few minutes to rest your braking fingers on a descent, the switch from cantilever to V brakes isn't going to do anything for you. The increase in stopping power is minimal at best, especially if your canti brakes are set up properly. Tell her to do some finger push-ups.
Old 08-18-17, 10:46 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
My ex-GF's LHT came with interrupters.
Old 08-18-17, 10:46 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
To have the increased leverage at the rim, from the caliper... the leverage at the brake lever has to be reduced.
Old 08-18-17, 10:50 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
waddo-

+1

I've done it both ways. I have interrupter levers on my touring bike and my wife's bike is set up with v-brakes and STI shifters. I run good cantis (Paul) on my bike with KoolStop salmon pads and the Cross levers add some leverage for stopping. My wife's brakes are Avid Single Digit 7 with Travel agent. They are still more efficient than my brakes; and yes, I know how to set up canti brakes.

Cable and set up of a Travel Agent with V-brakes is pretty easy, and once installed require very little maintenance. I believe my wife has 18,000 miles on her front brake cable.

Last edited by Doug64; 08-18-17 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 10:52 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
isn't it pushups not push-ups!! Or is this back to the bra thread?
Old 08-18-17, 11:01 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
I built my LHT up from a frame, so I never had the stock cantis, but instead I started with V-brakes. They were fine. I don't know if the change will help your wife. Braking for over an hour sounds painful no matter what the brake is, so I doubt it's a question of brake style so much as hand position. And it sounds like you know what bar/lever combination can be used without causing problems. I'd go straight to that.

In terms of stopping power, I felt like switching to some Kool Stop pads were a huge improvement over whatever generic pads came with my brakes. Problem is, even with Kool Stop pads, you have to squeeze brake levers to stop, and you have to keep squeezing if you want to maintain slow, downhill speeds. If your bar/lever set-up leaves you uncomfortable, better stopping power won't help. It will just help you descend even slower so that you have to hold that position even longer.
Old 08-18-17, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
LoL...learn the difference between grammer and spelling mistake.
"Grammer" is a spelling mistake.
Old 08-18-17, 12:02 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
wouldn't it actually be they're, not their? I don't see anything in possession of the brakes.
+1
Old 08-18-17, 12:38 PM
Doug64

Wouldn't it actually be They're, not Their? I don't see anything in possession of the brakes.
I suspect it was done on purpose, tongue-in-cheek
Old 08-18-17, 12:39 PM
Doug64

Sounds like she is braking with her hand on the hood...which make anyone's hand tire quickly.

She should be riding on the drop...where her hand can have the greatest leverage.

V-brakes won't help...it's just another marketing gimmick.
IME this has not been the case.
Old 08-18-17, 12:41 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
LoL...learn the difference between grammer and spelling mistake.
Its a post by Saddle...take it with a grain of salt...or many grains. He cap'd the word as a joke- he pointed out a grammatical error while making grammatical errors. An irony of sorts.
Old 08-18-17, 01:15 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Regarding the spelling and grammar errors by the OP, I am guessing from his post that he is in Asia and not a native English speaker. Since this forum is not intended to be limited to people from English speaking countries, I think it polite to accept slight errors in grammar and spelling without getting accusatory or offensive.
Old 08-18-17, 07:33 PM
waddo

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Thats for all the replies.

I really want to really thank everyone who posted on this thread (except the pedantic guy who doesn't know the difference between a typographical mistake concerning homophones and a spelling mistake). I appreciate all the information offered.

So concerning the BRAKES, and this is a serious issue for us.

"Sounds like she is braking with her hand on the hood...which make anyone's hand tire quickly."

Yes she is only braking from the hoods. She cannot reach from the lower bar as she has small hands.

"Braking for over an hour sounds painful no matter what the brake is, so I doubt it's a question of brake style . . ."

I have been riding my LHT for 3 years and when we go down 10% slopes and descend almost 2km of elevation my fingers are really hurting at the end.

"When I went from Shimano Altus cantis to some cheap Tektro vees, the difference was night and day regarding stopping power. I don't think they're really any easier on the hands than cantis, though. Do remember you likely need to change levers, as others have mentioned. Do yourself a favor and pair whatever you go with with some Kool-Stop pads."

"top levers are perfect for long extended descents, gravel or paved, and address that problem."

With her old bike with straight bars and V brakes she had ZERO trouble. I am starting to realise that perhaps it is the drop bars with the racing style hooded brakes (sorry I don't know the correct name) that is actually the problem, and not canti vs V brakes? And she already has salmon Kool-Stop pads. Also I think the levers are too big for her and too far from the handlebars, so maybe levers made for kids/women would help? So it is the leverage causing the problem.

"Top levers" seems to be a good solution. However, I am a bit worried that the central position on the bars will make her nervous as it reduces steering ability. She is new to drop bars and even on flat she is still a bit reluctant to ride with her hands at the top. I admit this is mainly because she cannot reach the brakes from there but I know steering is much better when riding the hoods. I have no experience with top levers so I a a bit worried.

All in all I think we maybe should just change to straight bars like her old bike. It's an expensive solution but I wonder if we have any real choice as this is a safety issue and in Japan our routes are always over mountains and descending for over one hour is common.

Any thoughts?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.