Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I Can't Help But Beat This "Dead Horse Question" !

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-21, 10:28 AM
Scubaquarius

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts

I've looked at some of the research and talked about this before... but I can't help but beat this "Dead Horse Question" one more time,
and then I promise I'll never ask again ! Here it is:

I'm doing my daily ride on my Liv Sedona with Hybrid tires, a tire which is wide, slightly knobby, and low pressure (50 psi mx). All these
riders on classic racer type bikes, "little skinny, high pressure tires (probably 90 PSI), are whizzing past me and I'm left in the dust.

So, here's my boggle: I can't believe it's not easier to peddle these little skinny, high pressure tires than it is my fairly wide, low pressure
Hybrid tires. Even though the research I've read on the subject argues against this.

Anyone out there see my point? Hey, it's OK I'm used to being in the lone crowd !

Opinions welcome,
Scubaquarius
Old 05-10-21, 10:35 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
If the racing bike "whizzes" by the Liv Sedona, then the Liv Sedona needs to go faster.

Tires will help. But an engine upgrade might help more.

Barry (who's bike also needs an engine upgrade)
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-10-21, 10:38 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Barry2
If the racing bike "whizzes" by the Liv Sedona, then the Liv Sedona needs to go faster.

Tires will help. But an engine upgrade might help more.

Barry (who's bike also needs an engine upgrade)
Electric you mean?

Scubaquarius
Old 05-10-21, 10:39 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
what's never talked about hardly is the type of air used & how it's put into the tires. If you put the air in gradually with a lower volume feed, the impact that it has on speed is governed.
Old 05-10-21, 10:39 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 693 Posts
Not electric... the engine you're already using..... YOU
Likes For Barry2:
Old 05-10-21, 10:41 AM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 240 Posts
Several factors would be involved, one of which are the tires. It is not only tire pressure but width tread pattern, rbber compound, casing materials and density. Also the bearings, number of spokes, and weight of wheel components.
Old 05-10-21, 11:06 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Those tires are pretty stiff and thick, so there is probably a good bit more energy required. Probably a bigger deal is that your bike is upright and you will have much more effect of air drag than you would on a race style bike at their speed.

If you wanted to do something about the tires, get some with more flexible casings. I get the fastest rolling tires I can, consistent with the tread and reliability I need.

But, with an upright bike, you will still have to pedal much harder to keep up with riders on more aerodynamic bikes at the same speed, even with better tires.

Does it matter? Do you want to adopt that riding position to increase your speed?

Otto
Old 05-10-21, 11:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Scubaquarius
I've looked at some of the research and talked about this before... but I can't help but beat this "Dead Horse Question" one more time,
and then I promise I'll never ask again ! Here it is:

I'm doing my daily ride on my Liv Sedona with Hybrid tires, a tire which is wide, slightly knobby, and low pressure (50 psi mx). All these
riders on classic racer type bikes, "little skinny, high pressure tires (probably 90 PSI), are whizzing past me and I'm left in the dust.

So, here's my boggle: I can't believe it's not easier to peddle these little skinny, high pressure tires than it is my fairly wide, low pressure
Hybrid tires. Even though the research I've read on the subject argues against this.

Anyone out there see my point? Hey, it's OK I'm used to being in the lone crowd !

Opinions welcome,
Scubaquarius
I think you’ve probably misunderstood the research. On a smooth road, same comditions, a rider will be faster on a skinny, high pressure slick than on a wide, low pressure knobby. I’m not aware of any research, science, or credible evidence to the comtrary.

Now, add in the fact you’re dealing with comparing your speed on an upright cruiser with low pressure knobbies to riders you don’t know on road race bikes with probably all the go-fast and...oh, wait a minute, I get it now: this is a troll thread.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 05-10-21, 11:35 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by Barry2
Not electric... the engine you're already using..... YOU
Hey Barry2,

I'm 65 years young and I'm afraid my "engine" has about as much output as it's going to get !

Looking for an "easy fix".....LOL,

Thanks Scubaquarius
Old 05-10-21, 11:39 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by ofajen
Those tires are pretty stiff and thick, so there is probably a good bit more energy required. Probably a bigger deal is that your bike is upright and you will have much more effect of air drag than you would on a race style bike at their speed.

If you wanted to do something about the tires, get some with more flexible casings. I get the fastest rolling tires I can, consistent with the tread and reliability I need.

But, with an upright bike, you will still have to pedal much harder to keep up with riders on more aerodynamic bikes at the same speed, even with better tires.

Does it matter? Do you want to adopt that riding position to increase your speed?

Otto
Not looking to do the "Tour de France" riding position. I like sitting upright !

Thanks,
Scubaquarius
Old 05-10-21, 11:42 AM
Scubaquarius

Originally Posted by chaadster
I think you’ve probably misunderstood the research. On a smooth road, same comditions, a rider will be faster on a skinny, high pressure slick than on a wide, low pressure knobby. I’m not aware of any research, science, or credible evidence to the comtrary.

Now, add in the fact you’re dealing with comparing your speed on an upright cruiser with low pressure knobbies to riders you don’t know on road race bikes with probably all the go-fast and...oh, wait a minute, I get it now: this is a troll thread.
Chaadster,

Now that sounds more compatible with my line of thinking. All except the "troll thread", you lost me there.

Thanks, Scubaquarius
Old 05-10-21, 11:44 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Me at 67 y/o. NY to LA 4200 Miles

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-10-21, 11:50 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
How knobby is slightly knobby? All this is purely anecdotal. Back in the day I felt like my higher end MTB with knobby tires was significantly slower than my low end ten speed. As such I would ride MTB with GF who wasn't a regular rider whenever she wanted to tag along. More recently I just got a new bike with 38s. Vittoria Zero. It's not noticeably faster or slower than my 25/28 bikes, but querying my database since 2019; two rides this year on 38s are in the top 10. The 38s eat bad road conditions for lunch though. I'm an average rider. I get passed as often as I pass. I like to think I pass more often, but I'm ok being blissfully wrong.
Old 05-10-21, 12:17 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Things that make me and my bike faster than yours:

Aero helmet
aero kit (jersey + bibs)
cleat pedals (I hate the word clipless)
"Tour de france" riding position
narrow handlebars
Waxed chain
expensive bottom bracket
aero carbon wheels
relatively low hysteresis tires with minimal tread
years of lifting/riding/racing experience

I'm not sure how you can see all these advantages and then conclude that the size of the tires is the problem. If you have the funds, I'd say buy some rene herse extralight tires of the same size you have right now + latex tubes and see what difference it makes. Those are about as fast as tires get.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 05-10-21, 12:29 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Me at 72 just home from Brain Surgery caused by a 16 MPH Crash.

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 05-10-21, 12:46 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts

Hybrid tires. ...

Huh? Sorry but the double-negative is confusing me.

Who said peddling skinny high pressure tires were harder than wide low pressure tires?
Old 05-10-21, 01:14 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Rene Herse made a stab at making this 'research'. Not that I can say that I subscribe to its findings and conclusions though
https://www.renehersecycles.com/bq-tire-test-results/

just one chart from the article:
Old 05-10-21, 01:49 PM
Scubaquarius

Thanks for all your replies on my post - Scubaquarius

Thank you everyone for your replies to my post (Scubaquarius). It's a great forum with folks much
more knowlegeable than myself and I appreciate your taking the time to reply.

Have a great day and a great ride.... just finished mine ,

Scubaquarius
Old 05-10-21, 01:53 PM
fredlord

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
Am I right in thinking that the more puncture-resistant a tyre is, the more slowly it rolls? And that faster rolling tyres are more prone to flats? I'm asking about normal tyres rather than tubeless, which I know nothing about. I've got Schwalbe Marathon Plus on most of my bikes, and I'm always hearing about how heavy and slow they are, but I get very few punctures, which is fine by me!
Old 05-10-21, 02:03 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Once you get above around 15 MPH, air drag consumes more power than everything else combined. The faster you go beyond 15 MPH, the more significant air drag becomes. If you want to ride faster, work on your aero position on the bike.
Old 05-10-21, 02:27 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
Looking for an "easy fix".....LOL,
That would be an E-Bike.

Old 05-10-21, 02:39 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
Hey Barry2,

I'm 65 years young.................................
65 years young >>

I have never met a person who has managed to be growing younger. In 2 months from TODAY I will be 71 YEARS OLD and will be proud to be every second of that age.
Old 05-10-21, 02:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Heine's conclusions are widely and wildly mis-interpreted to mean wider tires are faster than skinny tires, period.

Wider tires may be faster than skinny tires if and only if:
Rider's posture is equally aerodynamic
Tire tread is similar (no knobs!)
Tire sidewalls are equally flexible
Tire thickness is similar
Tire tread is no thicker
Wide and skinny tires have similar flat protection (no extra layers)

In other words, the wide tire you're looking at needs to be like a Compass tire.

You want a tire that won't flat if you ride through sharp rocks, or one that will last for a really long time or distance? It'll be slower.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-10-21, 03:52 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
To find out for your bike, with your tires, and you on it, get a friend and coast together at the same speed. Then, not pedaling, not changing your position, see who edges ahead. Then, you can let air out, put more in, change to skinnier tires, grease your whole body with margarine, etc. This will give you a new stick with which to beat the dead horse.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 05-10-21, 04:28 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3136 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Rene Herse made a stab at making this 'research'. Not that I can say that I subscribe to its findings and conclusions though
https://www.renehersecycles.com/bq-tire-test-results/

just one chart from the article:
Oh…thanks. I guess I need to eat some crow! I’ve not seen that RH/BQ compared knobby to smooth treads, though I know their take on wide tires generally. I’ll have to read the report and see what’s said. I do consider Heine and crew credible, though not infallible; that knobbies are as fast as smooth treads is a hard one for me to get my head around, I admit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.