Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacement fork for Soma Fog Cutter V2

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-21-23, 10:47 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Can anyone recommend a replacement fork for my Soma Fog Cutter v2 ?
Frame info: https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...tter-frame-set
Fork Info: https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/231...g+cutter#attr=

One of the fork inserts fallen out and is lost. Pictures attached. Soma says there are no replacement parts available, which is disappointing. I don't want to buy the same fork again because i think the issue is likely to reoccur if I'm not careful, and it always flexed more than i liked on steep down hill braking.

My LBS suggested trying the Soma steel version of my current but I'd like one that is compatible with 180mm+ rotors if possible, My hands cramp on long steep down hills currently.

***Edit**** removed because I expanded the thought in the next post.

Last edited by Cead_tinne; 03-21-23 at 11:09 AM.
Old 03-21-23, 11:13 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
After a bunch of searching i see most of the forks rated for bigger rotors and higher weight use a 1 1/2" tapered steer tube. Can I use the below adapter to make 1 1/2" work?
https://www.jensonusa.com/Cane-Creek...440-Bottom-Cup

the wiskey no 9 mcx for looks instrestign. I'm not sure how it would effect steering, or if it would work at all.
https://whiskyparts.co/forks/no-9-mcx-fork#/
Old 03-21-23, 11:18 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
You need to stick to 1 1/8" forks, a tapered fork isn't going to fit.
I wonder who makes those forks for soma, I imagine the insert is available from someone
Old 03-21-23, 11:51 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
You need to stick to 1 1/8" forks, a tapered fork isn't going to fit.
I wonder who makes those forks for soma, I imagine the insert is available from someone
Tange makes the fork. I tried emailing them awhile back without a response. Looking at the website I i see they have a phone number I can call, I have not tried that yet.
Soma, or the distributor Merry Cycles are unable, or unwilling, to help.
Old 03-21-23, 02:16 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Very few forks are intended to run with a flat mount caliper and a 180mm or greater rotor, as this is actually outside of the flat mount standard. There are a couple of adapters to run 180mm rotors with standard flat mount (for 140/160) but it does place more stress on the fork and almost no brands are testing for this and it will exceed the intended design limits of the fork and probably void your warranty--I'd feel comfortable doing this on a steel fork, but not carbon. I'm also pretty sure that frame cannot be made to work with a tapered steerer--it already has the lower cup external.

This is a tough request from a compatibility standpoint. I also can't find any 12x100 thru axle forks with IS or PM adapters--by the time 12x100 became common, flat mount was basically the standard. Probably your best bet is to buy a heavily built steel fork that has the proper geometry, 12x100mm thru axle, and flat mount caliper mount and run an adapter, even though most manufacturers wouldn't recommend doing so.

Also, what brakes are you using? I haven't ridden heavily loaded on discs much, but the Shimano hydraulic discs on my Midnight Special stop me on 160F/140R amazingly well, and I'm 210# right now on a kinda heavy bike. It may be worth looking into hydraulic if you're running cable actuated before choosing some significant compatibility challenges. Also if you haven't try semi-metallic compound pads, possibly finned pads, and heat dispersing rotors.
Likes For cpach:
Old 03-21-23, 03:36 PM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cpach
Very few forks are intended to run with a flat mount caliper and a 180mm or greater rotor, as this is actually outside of the flat mount standard. There are a couple of adapters to run 180mm rotors with standard flat mount (for 140/160) but it does place more stress on the fork and almost no brands are testing for this and it will exceed the intended design limits of the fork and probably void your warranty--I'd feel comfortable doing this on a steel fork, but not carbon. I'm also pretty sure that frame cannot be made to work with a tapered steerer--it already has the lower cup external.

This is a tough request from a compatibility standpoint. I also can't find any 12x100 thru axle forks with IS or PM adapters--by the time 12x100 became common, flat mount was basically the standard. Probably your best bet is to buy a heavily built steel fork that has the proper geometry, 12x100mm thru axle, and flat mount caliper mount and run an adapter, even though most manufacturers wouldn't recommend doing so.
Thanks cpach for the great response. I had not realized 180mm+ rotors were outside of the standard. That explains why I've only seen a couple flat mounts advertising 180mm rotors. Soma does sell steel version of the fork, and I can live the extra weight if i can get a little more braking power. I’ll look into the below options

https://peak-torque.com/products/180...pr_seq=uniform
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/231...lue-6848#attr=

Originally Posted by cpach
Also, what brakes are you using? I haven't ridden heavily loaded on discs much, but the Shimano hydraulic discs on my Midnight Special stop me on 160F/140R amazingly well, and I'm 210# right now on a kinda heavy bike. It may be worth looking into hydraulic if you're running cable actuated before choosing some significant compatibility challenges. Also if you haven't try semi-metallic compound pads, possibly finned pads, and heat dispersing rotors.
I’m running TRP Spyre with semi-metallic. I know hydraulic brakes would be loads better. We put some Shimano four piston on our cargo bike, and wow what a difference. But with drop bars it would mean changing out most of the drive train. And i'm pretty happy with the gearing on the advent X. I weight 235 lbs when in good shape, but sometimes flirt with 250lbs
Old 03-23-23, 01:14 PM
grumpus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by Cead_tinne
My hands cramp on long steep down hills currently.
Are you holding the brake on constantly? You might find it easier to brake harder then release, or alternate front and rear brakes every few seconds.
Old 03-24-23, 03:05 AM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 606 Post(s)
Liked 557 Times in 317 Posts
There are cable actuated hydraulic disc brakes such as the juin tech and a few others. They have 2 and 4 piston options. I'm using the juin tech 2 piston on my fog cutter (steel fork) and they are definitely easier to pull that the BB7 I had before them, but not as good as full hydraulic. I'd personally look at a brake upgrade. There are also some cable only calipers that get higher praise than your Spyre, such as the Pail Klampers and Growtac Equal.
Old 03-24-23, 09:49 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 101 Posts
Second what katsup says. I upgraded from TRP Spyres/semi-metallic pads to Juin Tech R1 (sintered in the front/organic in the back) on the Double Cross and never looked back. Also a heavy rider, around 270#.
Old 03-24-23, 09:54 PM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I do alternate pressure on the brakes. But it's still gets tiring. Mostly on wet days or really long/steep descents.

If the larger rotors don't help enough I think I'll break down and buy a new group set. I'd hate to keep throwing money at it and never be satisfied. Maybe i can build my kids next bike with the advent x take offs if i go that route.
Old 03-25-23, 10:43 AM
Cead_tinne
nothing better

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by csport
Second what katsup says. I upgraded from TRP Spyres/semi-metallic pads to Juin Tech R1 (sintered in the front/organic in the back) on the Double Cross and never looked back. Also a heavy rider, around 270#.
I missed your post. I think you submitted it while i was typing my last response. I'll look at those calipers and reconsider abandoning this drive train.