Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano mineral oil brake fluid lifespan

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-23, 07:12 AM
Dictatorsaurus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts

My 2019 Revolt Advanced has the original mineral fluid in the Ultegra brakes. The brakes feel fine and no mush. Do I still need to replace the fluid even if the brakes feel fine?
Old 03-25-23, 07:16 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
My 2019 Revolt Advanced has the original mineral fluid in the Ultegra brakes. The brakes feel fine and no mush. Do I still need to replace the fluid even if the brakes feel fine?
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-25-23, 07:44 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
^^^This.^^^ My original brake mineral oil in my gravel bike lasted 5 years and 6000 miles. My first warning the oil needed to be changed was that lever travel increased on one of my levers. As it turned out, one of the shifters went south shortly after. That made the decision easy - replaced shifters and bleed with new oil.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-25-23, 07:50 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Lombard
^^^This.^^^ My original brake mineral oil in my gravel bike lasted 5 years and 6000 miles. My first warning the oil needed to be changed was that lever travel increased on one of my levers. As it turned out, one of the shifters went south shortly after. That made the decision easy - replaced shifters and bleed with new oil.
My hydro brakes are four years old, 15k miles. They've never been opened up. Mineral oil is NOT hygroscopic, meaning that it does not absorb water. No need to touch it if everything is working properly.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-25-23, 08:03 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

My hydro brakes are four years old, 15k miles. They've never been opened up. Mineral oil is NOT hygroscopic, meaning that it does not absorb water. No need to touch it if everything is working properly.
So IOW, if you had SRAM brakes that use DOT fluid, you would need to change more often?

So if no contaminants got into my Shimano brakes, what could have caused the increased lever travel?
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-25-23, 08:18 AM
Dictatorsaurus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
So IOW, if you had SRAM brakes that use DOT fluid, you would need to change more often?

So if no contaminants got into my Shimano brakes, what could have caused the increased lever travel?
Some air gets in through the seals over time.
Likes For Dictatorsaurus:
Old 03-25-23, 09:47 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
Some air gets in through the seals over time.
That's what I suspected. And possibly a little dirt too.
Old 03-25-23, 10:14 AM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 1,555 Times in 1,020 Posts
Definitely.
Old 03-25-23, 11:04 AM
Koyote

Yup.

How worn are your pads and rotors? Theoretically, hydro brakes should self-adjust for such wear, but - in my experience - when pads get towards their minimum thickness, lever travel increases.

Last edited by Koyote; 03-25-23 at 11:12 AM.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-25-23, 12:57 PM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

How worn are your pads and rotors? Theoretically, hydro brakes should self-adjust for such wear, but - in my experience - when pads get towards their minimum thickness, lever travel increases.
As a matter of fact, yes, the rear pad was worn and needed to be replaced.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-25-23, 07:10 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Mineral oil is already millions of years old, it should last indefinitely.
I was amused the other day when I saw a box of table salt with an expiration date. I am having trouble imagining how, exactly, salt can go bad.
Old 03-25-23, 10:09 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 723 Posts
I was on the don't worry about it bandwagon till this fall/winter. The wife's bike never seemed from new to have the stopping power it needed and I like my maguras which always felt spot on. But on a trip to a local trail I ripped the front hose out with a local tree, one replacement and bleed later I noticed that the front brake felt more locked on, the lever didn't pull as far and everything felt stiffer. I didn't like the difference between the two and so I bled the rear, the fluid was more grey than blue, the lever hit faster and stronger and the difference was surprisingly noticeable. Over the 6 years I had the bike the change in the braking was so slow I didn't notice how bad it had gotten since it still worked so good.
Also bled the MT-200 shimano brakes on my wife's 2 year old bike and the difference was night and day, I suspect the brakes are minimally bled after being installed at the factory so everything feels good enough.
Old 03-26-23, 05:55 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Mineral oil is already millions of years old, it should last indefinitely.
I was amused the other day when I saw a box of table salt with an expiration date. I am having trouble imagining how, exactly, salt can go bad.
LOL! Point taken. Though that doesn't mean that contaminants can't get into the oil.