Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tips for out of shape man?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tips for out of shape man?

Old 03-22-23, 02:28 PM
whm1974

Bikes: 26" Diamondback DBW 700

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I think we need to discuss the cargo rack issue. How did you fall out? Or did it fall out? Or did you fall out of the rack? If we can solve this riddle, it may hold the key for getting back into shape (since you brought it up).
OK I fell trying to get off the bike so I can turn it around. I had the cargo rack attached at the time. Took it off so I can lower the seat. Did raise it a bit.
Likes For whm1974:
Old 03-22-23, 02:28 PM
whm1974

Originally Posted by rsbob
I think we need to discuss the cargo rack issue. How did you fall out? Or did it fall out? Or did you fall out of the rack? If we can solve this riddle, it may hold the key for getting back into shape (since you brought it up).
OK I fell trying to get off the bike so I can turn it around. I had the cargo rack attached at the time. Took it off so I can lower the seat. Did raise it a bit.
Old 03-22-23, 02:48 PM
whm1974

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
I haven't seen anyone mention proper use of the gears. Keeping it in high gear does not make you go faster; it just makes it harder to pedal. Keep a low enough gear that your feet are turning 80-100 rpm all the time. Any time your feet get outside of that, feel free to shift up or down to regain the correct cadence.

As far as the wheel size, it really doesn't matter. Maybe the current bike is too big for you - which is a frame issue, not a wheel size issue. You should be able to comfortably straddle the top tube without banging any tender bits. Adjust the saddle so that it leaves your knees slightly bent at the bottom of the pedal stroke. This necessarily means that you cannot sit on the seat when your feet are on the ground. If that's a feature you want, you should look for a different style of bike, a cruiser, which puts the pedals further forward.

Your current bike is not a 26" bike, it has 700c wheels, which are roughly - but not exactly - the same size as the old 27" standard. If you only ride on paved trails and streets, you can always change the tires to something with more or a road tread.
The bike uses 26" inner tubes, recently brought a pair of 26" tire liners to use in the tires. Strange but back before my disability no one in around where I live were selling 700c, 900c, or even 29" inner tubes.
Old 03-22-23, 02:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by whm1974
Well guys I had the bike for ~10 years and didn't riding all that much like I did when I was working. Really let myself go. My previous bikes were 24" MTB. I plan on replacing the 26" road bike with one like I used to ride. Went to the city park today and yesterday so making progress.

The streets around here in Madison and St Clare Counties IL are and not the best, and good MTB are the best suited for riding.

Ride whatever you enjoy.
Old 03-22-23, 02:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Are you riding pavement and maybe have rolling terrain where you are constantly going up or down? That 32 pound bike is probably just wearing you out. Get something down below 20 lbs.

But still, when I started back riding in my 50's, I struggled for a while just to do 10 miles in rolling terrain. Now 20 miles is just getting warmed up and my legs loosened.
Old 03-22-23, 02:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

My biggest piece of advice--if anyone says "no pain, no gain", slap them and say "you're welcome."

Find ways to make your ride fun, it's bicycling's biggest advantage.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-22-23, 02:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by livedarklions
My biggest piece of advice--if anyone says "no pain, no gain", slap them and say "you're welcome."

Find ways to make your ride fun, it's bicycling's biggest advantage.
I don't know, I felt a lot of pain when I had to dig out the big bucks to pay for my new bike. But the gain was tremendous. It's probably the most fun bike I've ever ridden.
Old 03-22-23, 04:57 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 393 Post(s)
Liked 854 Times in 421 Posts
#1 tip is keep it fun, and frequent.

If you don't like your bike, by all means, try others! If your range of motion is limited, try bikes with step-through frames.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-22-23, 10:53 PM
whm1974

Originally Posted by Iride01
Are you riding pavement and maybe have rolling terrain where you are constantly going up or down? That 32 pound bike is probably just wearing you out. Get something down below 20 lbs.

But still, when I started back riding in my 50's, I struggled for a while just to do 10 miles in rolling terrain. Now 20 miles is just getting warmed up and my legs loosened.
I'm going to have to save up more money first as I do not want to get a bike from the local Walmart. They will fall out part if I ride longer distances like I used to. Thought about ordering from amazon but I want and need certain features. Such as quick release wheels along with mounting holes for a cargo rack. But first I need to ride the one I have need to get in shape.
Old 03-22-23, 11:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,820 Times in 3,704 Posts
I'm going to have to save up more money first as I do not want to get a bike from the local Walmart. They will fall out part if I ride longer distances like I used to. Thought about ordering from amazon but I want and need certain features. Such as quick release wheels along with mounting holes for a cargo rack. But first I need to ride the one I have need to get in shape.
I strongly suggest buying a decent bike from a local bike shop. Not only will the bike perform better over a longer period of time, but you will have support/help with any issues, including swapping out parts to make it fit right for you.
Old 03-23-23, 07:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I don't know the nature of your disability, but folks on this forum might have some insight into what might work best for you:

https://www.bikeforums.net/adaptive-...t-other-needs/
Old 03-24-23, 04:43 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I know a lot of people who decide to get fit, start going to the gym or riding a bike or whatever - for a few weeks or even a few months, maybe a year. They get fitter and then at some point they start to lose interest. 6 months later they are back to doing nothing and they might as well have not bothered in the first place. Don't be that guy.
Completely disagree. Sometimes habits take multiple false starts before they're truly established, but each one is valuable and is a step on the path. Even if 6 months is all it ever turns into, it's time better spent than on the couch.
Old 03-24-23, 08:07 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Completely disagree. Sometimes habits take multiple false starts before they're truly established, but each one is valuable and is a step on the path. Even if 6 months is all it ever turns into, it's time better spent than on the couch.
Fair enough. When I wrote that I was thinking of 2 of my neighbours who got into exercising during the pandemic lock-down. They were both super-keen at first and went into it full gas. One bought a Peloton spin bike and a hybrid bike, the other a mountain bike and gym membership. A year later, both of them had given up and they don't appear to have made any valuable steps since.

So I would say focus on consistency and not try to do too much, too soon. Exercising little and often requires less commitment and has more chance of becoming established a lifelong habit.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-24-23, 08:48 PM
nick_a
Am-a-tour

Bikes: 2020 New Albion Privateer, 1983 Schwinn Super Sport, 2022 Rivendell Atlantis

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 40 Posts
Hey friend, real proud of you for getting out there.

There are loads of good YT videos that might help you better understand what kinda bike you're working with, how to improve it to suit your needs, and also what's out there that may be a better fit for you. I, as well as a bunch of previous posters, applaud your efforts. Best of luck in the saddle, and welcome back.
Old 03-24-23, 10:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Just looked up the Diamondback Edgewood. It should be a fine bike, assuming it fits and is in good repair. Unless you were riding a lot before your disability, or storing it under harsh conditions, it's unlikely that anything is worn out.
Old 03-25-23, 05:20 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 449 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Fair enough. When I wrote that I was thinking of 2 of my neighbours who got into exercising during the pandemic lock-down. They were both super-keen at first and went into it full gas. One bought a Peloton spin bike and a hybrid bike, the other a mountain bike and gym membership. A year later, both of them had given up and they don't appear to have made any valuable steps since.

So I would say focus on consistency and not try to do too much, too soon. Exercising little and often requires less commitment and has more chance of becoming established a lifelong habit.
For me the big benefit of the bike was that I never considered it as exercise, at least not as something I needed to do. Cycling was therapy for me. Better than that it was and is play.

The best exercise is when you don't even know you are exercising.
Likes For RH Clark:
Old 03-25-23, 10:28 AM
Photokid1970

Bikes: 2015 Trek DS 8.3, Trek Pilot 5.2

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
This thread is encouraging! Pre-pandemic I was getting up at 5am routinely and riding, and then life got in the way. Now I'm trying to get back at it, and I can tell that my rides are not as long and as easy as before - but it's fun, and I'm not discouraged. I'm trying to pick trails around town in addition to my neighborhood road riding to keep it interesting, and that helps. I appreciate the advice in this thread, even though it wasn't meant for me... but it's still good stuff!
Old 03-25-23, 11:21 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

On Amazon, IMHO... you have a better chance of getting what is essentially something others will call a Walmart bike. Sure there are some good bikes, but more crap bikes. Are you experienced enough to know the difference?

If bikes at the local bike shops are out of your price range then look at the online retailers that sell only bike stuff. Even Bikes Direct will be a decent choice IMO than Amazon where you don't know much if anything about the vendors that sell on Amazon.

Ride what you have till it falls apart or you get in such decent shape that you know it's holding you back. By that time you'll have a better understanding of what you really need in a bike.

Don't know why you need quick release wheels. Through axles which are becoming very common now don't take much more effort to remove.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 03-25-23, 01:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
I only have one tip for OP and it's called consistency....Every fitness journey and fitness lifestyle depends on being consistent, if you're not consistent you may as well not even start because you're wasting time.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 03-26-23, 07:56 AM
whm1974

Originally Posted by Iride01
On Amazon, IMHO... you have a better chance of getting what is essentially something others will call a Walmart bike. Sure there are some good bikes, but more crap bikes. Are you experienced enough to know the difference?

If bikes at the local bike shops are out of your price range then look at the online retailers that sell only bike stuff. Even Bikes Direct will be a decent choice IMO than Amazon where you don't know much if anything about the vendors that sell on Amazon.

Ride what you have till it falls apart or you get in such decent shape that you know it's holding you back. By that time you'll have a better understanding of what you really need in a bike.

Don't know why you need quick release wheels. Through axles which are becoming very common now don't take much more effort to remove.
Thanks, I just find quick release easier for the rear wheel to be put back on. That and don't have worry about losing some nuts.
Old 03-26-23, 07:57 AM
whm1974

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I only have one tip for OP and it's called consistency....Every fitness journey and fitness lifestyle depends on being consistent, if you're not consistent you may as well not even start because you're wasting time.
Thanks. I used to ride a bike a lot since I needed to get to work and the stores where I live.
Old 03-26-23, 12:14 PM
UnCruel 

Bikes: Trek Émonda SL 5, Trek Checkpoint SL 5, Giant Trance X 2, Trek Farley

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 50 Posts
The streets around here in Madison and St Clare Counties IL are and not the best ...
The MCT Trails are pretty great, and the SCCTD MetroBikeLink is also quite decent.
Old 03-26-23, 03:58 PM
whm1974

So rode around twice today. I live downtown granite city IL, rode to the shopping center. After I put the cargo rack on the bike and later a milk crate. Did buy some bungee cords for the crate.

Thanks for the helpful tips.
Old 03-27-23, 03:52 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4271 Post(s)
Liked 4,707 Times in 2,907 Posts
So rode around twice today. I live downtown granite city IL, rode to the shopping center. After I put the cargo rack on the bike and later a milk crate. Did buy some bungee cords for the crate.

Thanks for the helpful tips.
Good start, just keep on repeating until the habit is established.