Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can we make Bicycles Sustainable Again?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can we make Bicycles Sustainable Again?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-23, 10:13 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Just the same math the same culprits are using to peddle (pun intended) the MMGW hysteria.
oooooh. The odds of thread lock just jumped 87%.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-26-23, 10:19 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
6 million years ago you would have argued against the trend towards walking upright saying it is nothing but a conspiracy and we are all doing well walking on all fours.

It’s always amusing where each individual draws the line for progress and innovation. If any of these Luddites were honest it would be interesting to actually place them in a situation where they have a full spectrum of well fitted bicycles at there disposal. The plan would be to ride a challenging 160+ km course which bike would they choose. It would be really hard to believe any rational and informed person would not choose the latest high end endurance bike such as a 2023 S Works Roubaix or equivalent whether steel, titanium or carbon.

Lastly the whole concept of carbon footprint and bicycle manufacturing is completely ludicrous when looked at through the lens of the ultimate expression of 1st world excess which are these forums. I am presently on a month long bike tour in Vietnam on a carbon bicycle. I flew over 14 hours to get here and countless shuttles, ferries and busses in country all with the absolute minimum of pollution control devices. This country has over 50 million scooters and produces approximately 3 million new scooters domestically each year. Almost every where I stay and eat is air conditioned and this energy comes over 50% from outdated coal plants. The carbon footprint and pollution generated in SEA is unbelievable. This authors take is moronic and the ultimate expression of this “steel is real” crowd acting like a deluded cult and losing all objectivity.

You like steel then ride it, you like old bikes ride them but to scold or judge those who have moved on you are acting ridiculous.
Some types of innovation within bike industry are great and there is no doubt that there have been improvements, but there are also some which are just pointless.
Old 03-26-23, 10:22 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11966 Post(s)
Liked 6,632 Times in 3,478 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Obviously, we need more share bikes.

Pardon me for veering off topic just a little, but can you imagine the cataclysm that would result if that was a pile of carbon bikes, and they detonated?

Old 03-26-23, 10:23 AM
BillyD
Administrator

I couldn't resist.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-26-23, 10:23 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
oooooh. The odds of thread lock just jumped 87%.
Why? I'm not the one injecting politics into this thread. It started off that way. Should have been posted in Politics from the beginning.
Likes For VegasJen:
Old 03-26-23, 10:26 AM
tomato coupe

Why? I'm not the one injecting politics into this thread. It started off that way. Should have been posted in Politics from the beginning.
I didn't say it was totally your fault. But, you nudged it closer ...

Last edited by tomato coupe; 03-26-23 at 10:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 03-26-23, 10:31 AM
tomato coupe

Apparently, all those bikes quit working when the manufacturer switched to a different head set standard on their new bikes. This is what incompatibility does.

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-26-23, 10:41 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
strange article, which mixes seemingly authoritative facts, assumptions, and just silliness more or less completely out of context.
Somewhat agree. I find most any article that says bicycling is planet harming to be akin to the biblical references to motes and logs and eyes. Automobiles are around in greater numbers and have a far larger carbon footprint than bicycles ever will.

that a carbon frame has greater embodied carbon than a steel frame is very believable…. but the amounts referenced are almost meaningless assuming one is not buying (and throwing out) a new carbon bike every week. the highest stated estimate, which came not from a carbon frame maker or an independent study but from a steel frame maker (biased much?) shows the equivalent of around 30 gallons of gasoline consumption. not great, but hardly a reason to avoid an entire category of product which has other benefits.
While I agree, I did find the amount of carbon dioxide output for making virgin carbon fiber to be somewhat staggering. To make virgin steel from ore to finished product, roughly 5 tons of CO2 is produced per ton of steel. For aluminum, it’s 16 tons CO2/ton of aluminum. For carbon fiber, 29.5 tons of CO2 is produced for each ton of carbon fiber. That is a huge footprint! Less carbon fiber is made than steel and it takes less carbon fiber to equal steel but that’s still a large initial deficit.

Additionally, the amount of energy needed to recycle steel and aluminum drops significantly. For steel, recycling of the steel produces about 5 times less carbon dioxide…1.4 tons CO2/ton of steel. Recycling aluminum reduces the carbon even more dramatically…0.5 tons of CO2/ton of aluminum.

Carbon fiber is problematic since the fiber is difficult to recycle. Currently the fiber is pyrolized to recycle which requires a considerable amount of fuel to do. Recycled carbon fiber does significantly reduce the carbon footprint but only to about 4.5 tons CO2/ton of recycled carbon fiber. That’s almost the same as virgin steel.

​​​​​​​the life cycle emission chart per km is just ridiculous, is there even such a thing as a “carbon fiber cargo bicycle with electric motor?” never seen one. and the range of possible life spans for the calculation - 5,000km to 20,000km for an “aluminum bicycle” are absurd. I’ve ridden my road bikes 10,000km in one year, and would expect them to last 10 to 20 years at least, cutting the emissions per km by an order of magnitude, revealing just how trivial the carbon emitted in the production of the frame and other components are.

the author clearly has an agenda. I’m sure the clouds are cowering at his fists.
Yes, his estimates seem low for a lifetime of a bicycle. Although from my own records of bicycles…40 of them…I average only about 2600 miles per bike with a high of 22,000 lifetime miles and a low of 57 miles. Four of those bikes were disposed of because they broke (3) or were wrecked due to a car accident (1). Most of the rest passed out of my hands so I have no idea how long they lasted.

But, over all, the article has a bit too much self-flagellation to be taken seriously.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-26-23, 10:48 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
If the guy really cared he would walk and tow a wooden wagon.

NO manufactured vehicle is "sustainable" unless it is made entirely of biodegradable, naturally occurring (or derived) materials ..... so you don't have a rubber-tree plantation? What do you do with your old tires? Of course vegetable oil is your only lube, derived from rapeseed pressed in a human-powered press, right? Unpainted steel will corrode .... but paint? Horrible chemical processes involved in making good paint.
Even biodegradable vehicles aren’t that “sustainable”, particularly at our current population level and current plant production levels.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 03-26-23, 11:00 AM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 299 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
I didn't say it was totally your fault. But, you nudged it closer ...
I don't live in an echo chamber.
Old 03-26-23, 12:09 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Just the same math the same culprits are using to peddle (pun intended) the MMGW hysteria.
Yeehaw! We don't need no pointy head science! Hold my beer....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-26-23, 12:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by Fredo76
Part of what the author is inveighing against is pictured here:

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/20...cycles/556268/
The author is complaining about cheaply made mass produced transit bikes?
Old 03-26-23, 12:27 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
The "hysteria" arises not so much from immanence, as from inevitability. Nothing, including mass death, will prevent it. It's effin' SCHEDULED.

C'mon, sing along! "We are marching to Dystopia..."

I do agree that avoiding fancy bicycles won't help a bit, though.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 03-26-23, 12:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
That isn't the same math though. You are just claiming so as a way to try and inject your views of a tangentially related topic into the conversation.
You aren't actually adding to the conversation. Your response didn't address the quoted post it was tied to and your response isn't even true.

It's really sad to see how common this type of behavior is on message boards and in social media. It shows the person saying it actually thinks they made a good point.
It all goes back to what Carlin said- think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the people are stupider than that. Many people are too dumb to even realize, upon reflection, that what they said was dumb.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 03-26-23, 12:37 PM
BillyD
Administrator

I find it funny how a recent global warming provocateur president wasn't worried enough about it to not to buy ocean front property on Martha's Vineyard.
You're trying too hard to push this political. Not good.
Old 03-26-23, 12:39 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
I disagree. That poor child is a victim of psychopathic parents. She is the world's leading example of psychological child abuse.
Appreciate your expertise in this arena.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 03-26-23, 12:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6960 Post(s)
Liked 10,960 Times in 4,686 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
It's really sad to see how common this type of behavior is on message boards and in social media. It shows the person saying it actually thinks they made a good point.
It all goes back to what Carlin said- think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the people are stupider than that. Many people are too dumb to even realize, upon reflection, that what they said was dumb.
Dunning Kruger Effect. Also, traces of confirmation bias and the backfire effect.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 03-26-23, 12:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Regarding the Thunburger .... yes, she has been commodfied, yes, she has been co-opted but seriously ... he re is an uncommonly intelligent young lady with mild Aspbergers who is honest and aware enough to see that all the adults in the room are saying "The world is ending" while thinking, " ... but it won't end until I am dead." Greta T is complaining because it Will end .... whatever form that takes .... while She is alive, and she is absolutely right about that. Selfish, childish hyper-consumerism at every level has pushed us past the tipping point, where Nothing which could be done in the next couple decades will make any real difference. We have stupidly crapped in our nest, our food and water supplies, everywhere we could dump crap, and now we are being forced to eat a little more crap every day .... and by the time Great T is middle-aged, there will be only crap to eat. Not too surprised she is upset.

Sure, the Left has made a huge, overblown thing out of her .... but even an idiot can speak the truth. And only idiots, when they hear an unpleasant truth, deny the truth and ridicule the messenger. We have well and truly rogered this planet, and we will be seeing the costs increase slowly and steadily for quite a time to come. Our grandkids will wonder how we could have been so stupid .... and all I can say is, it has taken a lot of people a huge amount of effort to be so idiotic and ignorant for so long.

Yeah, some of climate change is just naturally cyclic climatic fluctuations which have always happened ... read a little history. Problem is, "climate change" is just a buzzword which describes the entire mindset of using the entire planet as a wastebasket, and then wondering why we are poisoned by our trash. It is more than seas levels ..... and we are going to be forced to accept what we can now afford to deny.

The most wonderful and simultaneously the most horrible aspect of reality----sooner or later we get what we deserve. Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 03-26-23, 01:01 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4396 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
"The main reason why I have opted for old bicycles is that they are much better than new bicycles. Most people don’t realize that"

Hard to take the article seriously with comments like this. Is sustainability the author's real agenda here? Or is it just a rant about modern bikes and tech?
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 03-26-23, 01:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
I disagree. That poor child is a victim of psychopathic parents. She is the world's leading example of psychological child abuse.
Yes because children cannot think on their own and anytime they do it must be abuse on the parents part? That is poppycock. If you want to talk child abuse look up Hans Asperger to whom people still name that syndrome after even with his history.

Child abuse is no joke! Having known victims of child abuse and grown up around two medical professionals who spent their careers working with children, I can say it isn't funny and quite terrible when it happens and will effect you for the rest of your life. It doesn't have anything to do with politics and shouldn't be dragged in the muck of politics it is just an abhorrent practice that has nothing to do with free thinking children.
Old 03-26-23, 01:29 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
The author is complaining about cheaply made mass produced transit bikes?
From the article:

Low quality affects some parts of expensive bicycles but is especially problematic for cheap bicycles made entirely of low-quality components. Cheap bicycles – bike mechanics refer to them as “built-to-fail bikes” or “bike-shaped objects” – often have plastic parts that break easily and cannot be replaced or upgraded. These vehicles typically last only a few months.
Old 03-26-23, 01:34 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the point of this article.

The choice is ours. Do we want to live in the modern age, or do we want to go back to 10,000 years ago, or even 3,000 years ago?

Do we want Tik Tok, Gmail, Instagram, iPhones, electric cars, Nike shoes, Patagonia shirts, Pelotons, motorcycles, electric power, running water, flushing toilets, Dawn dish washing liquid, Kindle books, advanced weaponry to send to the bottomless pit of Ukraine, air conditioning, heat in our apartment or home, Lululemon pants and shirts, rechargeable portable appliances (lithium-powered), AirPods, ApplyPay, modern medicine, modern medications, covid masks, water bottles, fancy coffee, electric scooters, electric bikes, anything electric powered at all, solar panels, wind farms, beanie caps, hemp clothing, "organic" vegetables and fruits, and yeah, steel, aluminum or carbon bikes, etc, etc, etc, etc...?

The choice is ours. I don't care how conscientious, how environmentally or ecologically responsible, a person is (including Greta the hypocrite). ALL of it requires energy and raw materials to produce and a certain margin of by-products to provide us with everything we use every day. If we all are willing to give up the things above, then let's tear everything down and go back to the way humans lived 10,000 years ago when the glaciers that covered almost all of North America finally melted.
Old 03-26-23, 01:52 PM
BillyD
Administrator

Give me my iPhone and my Dawn dishwashing liquid.
Likes For BillyD:
Old 03-26-23, 02:03 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I like my Kindle and my wife likes her lululemon () but no kids. Do we get a pass since our transgressions end with us?
Old 03-26-23, 02:10 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Lastly the whole concept of carbon footprint and bicycle manufacturing is completely ludicrous when looked at through the lens of the ultimate expression of 1st world excess which are these forums. I am presently on a month long bike tour in Vietnam on a carbon bicycle. I flew over 14 hours to get here and countless shuttles, ferries and busses in country all with the absolute minimum of pollution control devices. This country has over 50 million scooters and produces approximately 3 million new scooters domestically each year. Almost every where I stay and eat is air conditioned and this energy comes over 50% from outdated coal plants. The carbon footprint and pollution generated in SEA is unbelievable. This authors take is moronic and the ultimate expression of this “steel is real” crowd acting like a deluded cult and losing all objectivity.

You like steel then ride it, you like old bikes ride them but to scold or judge those who have moved on you are acting ridiculous.
While I totally agree with your "drop in the bucket" point above, I would point out that it is possible to criticize marketing-driven manufacturing decisions without denigrating any riders, or their rides, even. Feeling judged for riding carbon seems a bit Rorschach to me. Criticizing trends in the bicycle industry is not the same as criticizing you.

Anyway, have a great trip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.