Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Last model with Front Derailleur mounts: Trek Fuel, Remedy, Spec. Stumpjumer

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 03-27-23, 06:54 AM
exwhyzed

Bikes: 2015 Diamondback Haanjo Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi All,

Does anyone know the last year of each of these 3 models, that allow a front derailleur to be mounted? I know that with a lot of bikes, even though newer models discontinued the front derailleur, the newer models still had holes, or a mounting point for a bracket, for a front derailleur.
I'm going to be in the market for my first dual suspension bike, but i want to keep my gearing options open, as it will be a long road ride to the trails, so i want to have road gearing, trail gearing, and also climbing gearing.

Trek Fuel EX: 2018 was the last year it was sold with the physical front derailleur
Trek Remedy: 2017 was the last year it was sold with the physical front derailleur
Specialized Stumpjumper: 2016 was the last year it was sold with the physical front derailleur
Old 03-27-23, 10:24 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by exwhyzed
Hi All,

Does anyone know the last year of each of these 3 models, that allow a front derailleur to be mounted? I know that with a lot of bikes, even though newer models discontinued the front derailleur, the newer models still had holes, or a mounting point for a bracket, for a front derailleur.
I'm going to be in the market for my first dual suspension bike, but i want to keep my gearing options open, as it will be a long road ride to the trails, so i want to have road gearing, trail gearing, and also climbing gearing.

Trek Fuel EX: 2018 was the last year it was sold with the physical front derailleur
Trek Remedy: 2017 was the last year it was sold with the physical front derailleur
Specialized Stumpjumper: 2016 was the last year it was sold with the physical front derailleur
Are you sure they had “mounts” to start with? None of the ~20 mountain bikes I’ve owned going back to the 90s had a mount for the FD. It just clamped on the seat tube. I know some did but I think they were in the minority.

There is the issue of the cable stop, though there are aftermarket clamps that could provide that.

The real issue you’re most likely to run into is not a lack of place to mount a FD, but rather there being no room for the FD.

The space that the FD took up is arguably the most valuable real estate on a FS mountain bike. Rear tire clearance, the chainstay, chainrings, suspension linkages, and the FD were all competing for space in that area. Ditching the FD (and a chainring) freed up that space for other uses. THAT is actually the primary benefit of 1X IMO.

Fwiw, with 1-12 drivetrains offering 10-52t cassettes, thats a pretty wide range.
Likes For Kapusta: