Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Titanium Bike Build Ride Report

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Titanium Bike Build Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-22, 02:48 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
It's a matter of what is the worst case scenerio. With the carbon post the worst case scenerio is the post slipping. With the Ti post the worst case is seizing. Which one would you rather deal with?
Hey, I have CF seat posts on both of my titanium bikes, so this is weird for me to be debating. But I'd say that neither are a significant issue as long as you use the proper product - copper anti-sieze or friction paste. Neither is more onerous to use than the other, both are necessary for proper functioning, so my opinion (only that!) is that it's just a non issue.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-08-22, 04:08 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
It's a matter of what is the worst case scenerio. With the carbon post the worst case scenerio is the post slipping. With the Ti post the worst case is seizing. Which one would you rather deal with?
There have certainly been enough 'How do I remove a stuck seatpost?" threads to make it clear that seized seatposts is not solely at Ti:Ti problem. And a slipping seatpost is a constant, ongoing problem. BOTH have inexpensive solutions.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-08-22, 07:40 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
I was told that any crash that could injure my neck before has a higher chance of injuring it now. My doc was referring to motorcycles where the impact forces are far greater. My risk is that instead of having 7 flexible vertebrae to absorb an impact I now have only 4. I also have about 50 % less rotation and extension. I am aware of what could happen and could live in a bubble or get after it. I'm getting after it. Last year I scared the sh** out of my self when I washed the front end of my mountain bike out and ate it. Actually went head over backside. Stood up in a cloud of dust and was fine.

The last year and change taught me how borrowed our time on earth is. When you are sitting in your truck spitting out broken glass and wondering if your truck is gonna explode before ems can cut you out you don't take anything for granted.

I'm gonna be careful for sure....but ride motorcycles and bicycles.
I understand, and agree! I had a crash on my back and had the same thing happen, got up, checked myself, and nothing except bleeding knees. I fell out of the bathtub and bent my lower back over the tub hyperextending my back but no problems with the rods. So, you can hurt yourself doing anything, including just taking a shower! LOL!! Like you I don't, nor ever have, lived my life in fear, life is too short, and God gave us toys to play with so I'm playing with some of those toys!
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 03-08-22, 08:50 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
There have certainly been enough 'How do I remove a stuck seatpost?" threads to make it clear that seized seatposts is not solely at Ti:Ti problem. And a slipping seatpost is a constant, ongoing problem. BOTH have inexpensive solutions.
The good thing about this seatpot is after you remove the seat mounting hardware its a hollow Ti tube horizontaltothepost. A tool can easily be inserted for leverage.
Old 03-08-22, 08:56 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
I appreciate the suggestion and the concern ! I think I just need to get my body in riding shape to mitigate some of the issues. I will see if my Domane is easier on me pretty soon. As for my neck .... I have a super active lifestyle. When I had my first post surgical appointment with my Neurosurgeon I ran down the list of my favorite ativities like Cycling, Motorcycling, Jet Skiing, Dirtbikes etc. They were all in hisdry professional tone "Not Recommended". He tells me my neck is at risk for injury since it is fused and doesn't rotate very much.

Now that I am fully recovered he says he understands that life has to be lived and I should understand the risks. That I am more likely to suffer a neck injury if I have an accident that stresses my neck. I choose to live much the same as I did before. I gave up dirtbike dreams and don't wheelie my sport bike or drag knees anymore, I bought an airbag vest, I ride my bike pretty careful. But I will live life.

gratuitous neck pic .....now thats some serious Titanium there

Have you made a post on these forums about your accident and how it happened?

Would be keen to read up on it.
Old 03-09-22, 10:13 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Have you made a post on these forums about your accident and how it happened?

Would be keen to read up on it.
My very first post on this site goes into some pretty good details about it but here is the condensed version.

I was swerving to avoid a pothole at night on 12/6/2020. A dark country road with no shoulder. I got off the shoulder a little and I lost control of my beater hunting truck when I got back on the road. A slide that ended up impacting the drivers side of my truck directly on a tree.

I suffered a burst fracture (a Jefferson Fracture in medical terms) of my C-1 which is the first vertical vertebrae ...the one your skull sits on. I also fractured the left medial aspect of my occipital condyle.which is the part of the skull that sits on the first vertebrae. I broke two major connecting ligaments that hold my skull down ..these connect to C-2. I also put a nifty little chip in my foramen magnum which is the big hole your spinal cord comes out of. I had spinal fluid leaking into the back of my throat. I also had a concussion and a small amount of bleeding in the parietal aspect of my brain. I can tell you that you don't want to be the freak show in the neuro ward that is breathing and talking and eating when they shouldn't be.

I had a platoon of lab coats at my bedside at 4 AM talking about the exciting surgery they had planned for me in a few hours. I later learned that this is called an "internal or orthopedic decapitation".

I also broke some ribs and sprained my ankle....an broke my leg....bad.....like really bad. A "shakter type 3 depressed tibial plateau fracture with posterior tibial involvement" or something very medical like that. I shattered my leg ....like a puzzle piece. The ortho surgeon was very good news bad news. Bad news.....lots of pieces ....good news ...we got them back together pretty good. Maybe just a slight limp. hat kind of thing. FWIW I don't limp unless I am super tired or have had a bad day with it which is getting rarer.

Gratuitous leg pic.

And thats my story .... I was back on the bike 4/6/ when the ortho guy released me.

My poor truck after they drug it out. I was belted in but the crushed roof came down on my head.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-09-22, 12:28 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

My very first post on this site goes into some pretty good details about it but here is the condensed version.

I was swerving to avoid a pothole at night on 12/6/2020. A dark country road with no shoulder. I got off the shoulder a little and I lost control of my beater hunting truck when I got back on the road. A slide that ended up impacting the drivers side of my truck directly on a tree.

I suffered a burst fracture (a Jefferson Fracture in medical terms) of my C-1 which is the first vertical vertebrae ...the one your skull sits on. I also fractured the left medial aspect of my occipital condyle.which is the part of the skull that sits on the first vertebrae. I broke two major connecting ligaments that hold my skull down ..these connect to C-2. I also put a nifty little chip in my foramen magnum which is the big hole your spinal cord comes out of. I had spinal fluid leaking into the back of my throat. I also had a concussion and a small amount of bleeding in the parietal aspect of my brain. I can tell you that you don't want to be the freak show in the neuro ward that is breathing and talking and eating when they shouldn't be.

I had a platoon of lab coats at my bedside at 4 AM talking about the exciting surgery they had planned for me in a few hours. I later learned that this is called an "internal or orthopedic decapitation".

I also broke some ribs and sprained my ankle....an broke my leg....bad.....like really bad. A "shakter type 3 depressed tibial plateau fracture with posterior tibial involvement" or something very medical like that. I shattered my leg ....like a puzzle piece. The ortho surgeon was very good news bad news. Bad news.....lots of pieces ....good news ...we got them back together pretty good. Maybe just a slight limp. hat kind of thing. FWIW I don't limp unless I am super tired or have had a bad day with it which is getting rarer.

Gratuitous leg pic.

(snip)

And thats my story .... I was back on the bike 4/6/ when the ortho guy released me.

My poor truck after they drug it out. I was belted in but the crushed roof came down on my head.
Holy hell.

Okay, so basically you wanted a Titanium bike to match what you have inside you?

Likes For genejockey:
Old 03-09-22, 12:32 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Holy hell.

Okay, so basically you wanted a Titanium bike to match what you have inside you?
I can't say it didn't cross my mind !! I had issues with my neck before the accident from years od motorcycles, dirtbikes etc. My (many) CT scans and MRIs show degenerative disks in all but one cervival vertebra as well as bone spurs. The spurs cause pain and altered sensation in my arms but so far no loss of strength (thank god).
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-09-22, 06:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

Gratuitous leg pic.

Incredible!!!!

I had initially thought you must have had a motorcycle accident.
Old 03-09-22, 06:46 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
The good thing about this seatpot is after you remove the seat mounting hardware its a hollow Ti tube horizontaltothepost. A tool can easily be inserted for leverage.
I would first try to spray some CO2 either from a flat cartridge or buy a can of compressed air, turn the can upside down and spray the seat post near where it enters into the frame, get it really cold, as cold as you can get it, then try removing the post.
Old 03-10-22, 09:45 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
I would first try to spray some CO2 either from a flat cartridge or buy a can of compressed air, turn the can upside down and spray the seat post near where it enters into the frame, get it really cold, as cold as you can get it, then try removing the post.
The post has only been in there a month or so and was liberally coated with copper anti sieze. Im pretty sure I will be able to just twist it out.
Old 03-11-22, 07:47 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
There is a tendency for Titanium to 'self-weld' together. As Veganbike said- you can prevent this from happening with grease, etc. But the safest thing to do would be to use run a carbon seatpost there.
I specified an optional titanium seatpost when I bought my Airborne 20 years ago. The bike came with a small amount of a copper-based anti-seize compound. About once every 5 years I've taken the seatpost out and refreshed the lube, and have had no issues. Still have most of the Cu lube too!
Old 03-14-22, 06:57 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

I removed the spacer from the top of the steerer tube and placed it below the stem. This puts the stem a half Inch higher. I didn't switch seat posts as mine all have similar setbacks. Raising the stem as well as modifying my posture have made the bike more comfortable. Not as good as the Domane but better. I have been keeping my head down a lot more as well. I have to keep my eyes way up to see ahead but it takes the pressure of my neck somewhat. Extension is almost as bad as rotation so cutting out extension somewhat helps. I have a feeling that warmer weather will help a lot also.

More good news....the bike shifted and rode flawlessly.

And the Seller Italia Superflow Boost Endurance saddle is incredible. Most comfortable saddle I have ever had. Its pretty amazing ....has Ti rails too.
Old 03-15-22, 07:53 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Another 30 miles today. You can see the large amount of spacers. My neck feels the best it has on this bike. I do need to make some adjustments tho. Raising the bars has changed the settings on my rear DR a little. It needs a good cleaning too so I will get it dialed in and weather permitting I will get it out next week.I have over 100 miles on it now !! I am gonna turn some miles on my Domane later this week. Gonna be near 70 in Indianapolis on Thursday and Friday.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 03-15-22, 08:45 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
... Raising the bars has changed the settings on my rear DR a little...
? How so?
Old 03-16-22, 04:42 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Originally Posted by Camilo
? How so?
Just seems a bit noisier than it was. It was still shifting ok so it may just need cleaned as I ride about 8 miles of crushed limestone path that is wet and sloppy in some places and super dusty in others. I also wasn't sure if raising it like that would affect cable tension.
Old 03-16-22, 11:24 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Another 30 miles today. You can see the large amount of spacers. My neck feels the best it has on this bike. I do need to make some adjustments tho. Raising the bars has changed the settings on my rear DR a little. It needs a good cleaning too so I will get it dialed in and weather permitting I will get it out next week.I have over 100 miles on it now !! I am gonna turn some miles on my Domane later this week. Gonna be near 70 in Indianapolis on Thursday and Friday.
How's the handlebar height and saddle-bar drop compared to the Domane? I basically set up my Ultimate to match my most comfortable bikes before I even turned a pedal and it has required ZERO further adjustment. Comfortable out to at least 60 miles.
BTW, it looks like the brake cable ferrule isn't properly seated in the cable stop, which you might want to address. I had a hell of a time getting Jagwire ferrules into the stops on my Ultimate, but they did eventually slide home.

Old 03-16-22, 11:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
gratuitous neck pic .....now thats some serious Titanium there

You have so got to get a Litespeed neck tat to match the bike!

Nothing so dramatic and slightly less serious, but I did have to rehab a bit last year by riding my bike, and if you have to rehab, I think it's the best. It's about the only way I could have done it that was actually fun.

Great job on the bike!

Last edited by livedarklions; 03-16-22 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-16-22, 11:44 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

How's the handlebar height and saddle-bar drop compared to the Domane? I basically set up my Ultimate to match my most comfortable bikes before I even turned a pedal and it has required ZERO further adjustment. Comfortable out to at least 60 miles.
BTW, it looks like the brake cable ferrule isn't properly seated in the cable stop, which you might want to address. I had a hell of a time getting Jagwire ferrules into the stops on my Ultimate, but they did eventually slide home.
Once I switched the spacer on the stem, the bar and seat are petty close to level...I don't know how close it is to the Domane... I would have to check to see. Good catch on the brake ferrule. It may have slid out as I was tinkering. There were some that were a huge pain to get in properly. I don't know if it is how old the bike is or what. I did notice that the rear brake seems less powerful than the older DA I have on my old 2.3. Could be a lot of reasons for that I suppose but I will start there. Biking has been great for my rehab and mental state. Thanks !!