Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Ben 2 Shore Charity Ride Logistics Questions

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 03-23-22, 05:36 AM
TBlackwell600

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, Canyon Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have the opportunity to bike the Ben to Shore Charity Ride this July - Philly to Atlantic City but I'm running into a logistics nightmare trying to figure out how to get back to Philly, with my bike, after finishing the ride. Has anyone done this ride? How's you manage the logistics? This is being held on a Sunday and I'm coming from update NY.
My initial thought was, drive to AC the day before, park my car and take the train back to Philly. Stay overnight in Philly, bike back to AC. The problem is finding a reasonably priced hotel in Philly, on a Sat. night, fairly close to the starting spot. The 2nd problem I have is, when I go to plan a train ride from AC to Philly, the NJ Transit website indicates no trains are available, but a printable schedule indicates there are trains running... and does the NJ Transit allow bikes on the train?
The other option would be to stay outside Philly Sat., drive into the city the morning of the ride, bike then ..... and that's where I get stuck...... I can't figure out how to get back to Philly, with a bike. Anyone ?
Old 03-23-22, 03:41 PM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
When I did one, they had trucks to bring back the bikes and busses to bring back the people.
It'd be strange if they're not offering any kind of return transit.

There are trains that run from AC to Philly but you'll have to check the rules for bikes.
NJT does allow, mostly, but there are many limitations. They're on the NJT website somewhere.

When I've needed a phila hotel on a budget I stayed in Cherry Hill.
Old 03-24-22, 08:26 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
The NJT on line schedules have been whack for a while. I do at least two long weekend tours to S. Jersey every year. They end by riding to AC and taking the train back to Philly. Bikes are allowed on all AC trains. The normal NJT holiday restrictions don’t even apply to the AC line.

One issue you might face is other people having the same idea. The conductor has the power to limit the number of bikes on the train. The service is very popular, especially during summer and especially on Sundays as people head home from weekends in AC.

I am surprised that this ride does not offer transportation for you and your bike back to the start.

EDIT: Read the FAQs. You can purchase return transportation back to the start for $10. Having done volunteer work for the huge MS ride to the shore, I think they need to make this option obvious.

https://www.fbbcf.org/index.cfm?fuse...s.page&id=1034

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-24-22 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-28-22, 10:05 AM
zowie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It looks Like you have to go down the day before, or earlier, to get your bib number. Way to discourage out of town riders!
Old 03-30-22, 03:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
To park and get set to start you’d serve yourself well to arrive by 6 am at the latest. I would think that one coming from any distance would come in the night before. Certainly the OP would, coming from upstate NY. I live maybe a 15 min. ride from the start. I’d leave my house at 6 am if doing this ride.
Old 07-25-22, 11:46 AM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts
Did you get transport figured out and do the ride?

My first time this year, but we had lot of fun despite the heat.
Old 08-01-22, 03:59 AM
TBlackwell600

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail, Canyon Endurance AL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ubie
Did you get transport figured out and do the ride?

My first time this year, but we had lot of fun despite the heat.
I did. Yes, despite the heat it was a decent ride. I started out a little too fast and suffered for it at the end, but I'm looking forward to doing it again next year.