Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Hudson valley to DC- ACA vs ECG

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Old 10-06-22, 06:35 PM
kyle5995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Getting ready to do this ride and trying to make a final decision on the route. Thinking I'll head to Port Jervis and follow the Delaware to the Philly area. From there I can't decide between going on the ACA Atlantic Coast route, that gets you away from the traffic, and the ECG. Has anyone done them, and what are your thoughts?
Old 10-09-22, 12:46 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
The ECG in PA south of Philly has some nasty mileage. PA 291 is called Industrial Highway for good reason. Marcus Hook smells like chemicals and petroleum.

I’ve done PJ to Philly numerous times. Great riding, though I can give you a detour from Portland. PA to Belvedere, NJ that cuts out a couple of hills and a road segment with not the greatest sight lines.

Will you be camping? It can get really cold already going through the DWGNRA. One year I did the Black Bear Century out of Delaware Water Gap around this time of year. It was 34 degrees when we left the motel for the short ride to the start.

Keep your eyes peeled for bears coming down the NJ side from PJ to the I-80 walkway over the river.

Forgot to add…I would not follow all of the ACA route south from New Paltz. The Walkill Trail south of there kinda sucks. I’d ride the roads on the other side of the river until you hook up with the ACA route when you cross Bruyn Pike.

Last edited by indyfabz; 10-10-22 at 03:34 AM.
Old 10-10-22, 11:10 AM
kyle5995

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input Indy! I'll camp as long as the forecast is calling for the 40's, but the opportunity for that is going to pass very soon. Hope the bears are asleep for the winter.
Old 10-10-22, 02:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,299 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle5995
Thanks for the input Indy! I'll camp as long as the forecast is calling for the 40's, but the opportunity for that is going to pass very soon. Hope the bears are asleep for the winter.
Worthington State Forest on Old Mine Road, a few miles before you cross into DWG, is a great placeto camp, but it’s usually very crowded on weekends and requires a two-night reservation on weekends. If you plan to stay there during the week, try site 11 or 12. Both are close to restrooms/showers and have private river access. There is no bear locker there, but you can store attractants in one of the bathrooms or shower rooms. If the group sites are not occupied, you can ask to be put in one with a locker. (Ask if Montana is working at the office. She’s really cool.)

And I’m (obviously) not joking about bears. When I stayed there in 2018 I arrived after the office had closed. Set up in a vacant group site and rode to take a shower. While I was riding back to my site a very young cub walked up from the river and across the campground rode about 25’ in front of me. I expected mom to follow, but I never saw her. I kept my head on a swivel as I cooked dinner. When I did the Black Bear Century one October we just missed seeing one. He left muddy paw prints on Old Mine Road. They don’t go into hibernation this early.