Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

re-commuting

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

re-commuting

Old 12-19-22, 11:24 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
re-commuting

... to coin a word.

I have a steady job now for the first time in a long time. I've change careers from IT to K-12 education. It's super exciting.

Teaching is different in many ways, and one of them is that we must be at work on time very reliably. I've never been reliably on time so this has been one adjustment. I haven't been late for work yet! Another adjustment is that the day starts so early. Lately I get up at 6am, and I'm thinking of shifting it to 5:30 so things aren't so tight.

I've been at this job for three weeks now. I've taken the subway every time so far. (I'm in New York City.) I plan to bike commute for maybe two or three days a week. Very coincidentally, my new workplace is a half mile away from my workplace of 2014-2017. It's 13 miles each way, so it's a bit of a haul for me. It's too much to do five days a week. So now I have to make a routine of bike maintenance and preparation, and I have to make it so I'm not late for work. I'm a bit apprehensive. Maybe I'll do the first bike commute by getting up at 5 and seeing how that goes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 12-19-22, 02:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Welcome back Tom!

Yeah, limited time has definitely made me concentrate being a bike rider and set aside pretensions of collector or mechanic
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 12-21-22, 03:22 PM
jaxy357

Bikes: '23 Specialized Roll 3.0 low entry, '84 Bridgestone 300, '84 Centurion Le Mans 12, Free Spirit project bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 40 Posts
How cool! What are you teaching these days? I work in higher ed and commuted about 30 miles by train/subway for years to North Philly from Northern Delaware. Now my commute is 18 miles so I feel your pain. Have you considered a hybrid approach of bike and subway, etc? I just got a folding bike for $50 (not high hopes but giving it a whirl). I like being a flexible commuter (I think there's a cute term for it) where I don't put too much pressure on myself to do a clean commute every day but just do it as much as I can based on my schedule and weather.
Old 12-21-22, 06:24 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Another teacher here, however, I only have about 2.5 miles to go each way.
Old 01-11-23, 04:53 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Since retiring I've been working as a substitute teacher in the local high schools. I have a 6 mile commute to work and make it a habit to be up at 5:30 am to be at work at 7:30. That gives me time to get ready without rushing around and stressing about it. Hope that helps Tom.

Marc
Old 01-14-23, 08:24 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1530 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
@noglider, have you thought about doing subway to work and ride home? At least for awhile until you get your commuting legs back. Congrats on the new job!
Likes For Korina:
Old 01-15-23, 09:05 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
Good to hear from you, Tom. Congrats on the career change. Teaching can be tremendously rewarding and gratifying. I wish you all the best.

I've always left early for work, even when I drove. But I feel it's even more imperative that I do so when cycling, because who knows what sort of problems I may encounter, mechanical or otherwise. A flat, especially when it's -10, is not an easy thing to deal with, and if I can't repair it, then I need to have time to go to plan B, whatever that might be. As most days I don't encounter any problems I get into work a good 90 minutes before I start, but that's a good time for me to prep whatever I need for the day.
Old 01-25-23, 05:16 PM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 2,110 Times in 553 Posts
@noglider, Tom, congrats on the permanent teaching position! I'd bet you are a great teacher. Do I remember correctly that you are in the SpEd dept., or do you have your own grade-specific class?

I, too, had a bit of an adjustment moving from my previous career with a lax start time to the fixed, and early, start time of a morning school bell. I find it very helpful to pack up my panniers (everything but my coffee and lunch) and lay out my commuting clothes the night before. I sweat a lot, so I also have to build in some extra time to cool down and change clothes once I arrive. I also make a point to do as much copying and prep work for the next day before I leave so I'm not scrambling to get the lessons prepped or competing with others for last-second use of the copier in the morning.

I'm lucky I can park my bike by my desk in the classroom. Is there no room in the class for a bike? Have you already been told not to bring in your bike? As they say, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.
Old 01-26-23, 06:50 PM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
@noglider
I'm lucky I can park my bike by my desk in the classroom. Is there no room in the class for a bike? Have you already been told not to bring in your bike? As they say, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than to get permission.
I also keep my bike in my classroom. Considering the nature of the school I am at, parking my hike in the rack would just be setting students up. There is no way they would be able to resist vandalizing a teacher's bicycle. Then we would check the video and they would be in quite a bit of trouble. It is better to just keep it in my classroom.

Good systems make it easy to do the right thing and hard to do the wrong thing.
Old 01-26-23, 07:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
Is Uber an option for emergency backup? Like a double flat or other mechanical misfortune. Even if it just gives peace of mind and you never need it, it could be nice.
Old 01-31-23, 11:59 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by downtube42
Is Uber an option for emergency backup? Like a double flat or other mechanical misfortune. Even if it just gives peace of mind and you never need it, it could be nice.
Sure. I’m probably ready for a double flat, but yeah, there is always the unforeseen. But here in NYC, we have a decent subway system. If before I get to work, I can’t continue on bike, I’ll probably hoof it to the subway with the bike.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 01-31-23, 12:07 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by gaucho777
@noglider, Tom, congrats on the permanent teaching position! I'd bet you are a great teacher. Do I remember correctly that you are in the SpEd dept., or do you have your own grade-specific class?

I, too, had a bit of an adjustment moving from my previous career with a lax start time to the fixed, and early, start time of a morning school bell. I find it very helpful to pack up my panniers (everything but my coffee and lunch) and lay out my commuting clothes the night before. I sweat a lot, so I also have to build in some extra time to cool down and change clothes once I arrive. I also make a point to do as much copying and prep work for the next day before I leave so I'm not scrambling to get the lessons prepped or competing with others for last-second use of the copier in the morning.

Wow, you remember a lot. Thank you. The story of where I am is on my blog. I’m not progressing as fast as I had hoped. Right now, I’m a substitute, serving as an assistant teacher. I do like the work very much.

Yes I have a new routine. At night: Put my clothes in the spare bedroom. Grind coffee and put water in coffee maker.

In the morning, leave the bed as quietly as possible. Press the power button on the coffee maker. Shower. Get dressed in the spare bedroom.

Most of the time, I’m with one single student in the 1st grade. (I never pictured myself teaching such young students.) The student is defiant and violent so I work with her one-on-one. She’s been suspended many times. When she’s out, I am often assigned to another class. I’ve helped out in K, 2, and 3. I like them all.

I have had aspirations of SpEd over the last year. This came after picturing myself teaching math or science. But now a friend of a friend tells me she’s been happily making plenty of money as an interventionist. And intervention is what I’m doing, without even any training. So I’ll be looking into this. I do especially well when I work one-on-one with a student for behavior work or tutoring academics. Small groups are OK. I’ve run a few class sessions and clearly don’t have that knack, at least not yet. I know there is plenty to learn. The kids immediately sense that I’m a softie and get away with misbehavior. I don’t get outwardly angry. I’m learning. I just led recess in the classroom, and it got a bit rowdy. I did need to talk to a few kids, but honestly, I was not angry at all. They need to be told how to behave, and most of the misbehavior is from not knowing right from wrong or forgetting.

Likes For noglider: