Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Older Shimano Tourney triple spindle length?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-16, 02:57 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I have a old schwinn voyager sp that i recent acquired. I tore it all down, cleaned and re-greased it. I put it back together and noticed the inside chainring on the triple hits the stay when properly torqued.

I dont know if the previous owner was using the right spindle length. Perhaps it was installed backwards as well but it looked even on both sides. Either way im wondering what i can do here. I want to put the proper length spindle in there so i can run a triple. It has old suntour barcons and the frame is my size. Id hate to lose the inner ring.......although there are no real hills around here to speak of.

I can see where it was hitting the stay prior as well so its not like i installed it backwards....unless of course the previous owner did and i put it back in the same way.
Old 05-13-16, 03:10 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
If it was my bike I'd definitely pull the BB spindle and measure to see if the two ends are symmetrical. My guess is it won't be. Make sure the longer end is on the drive side. For a quick, dirty estimate, check the distance between the pedals and the chain stays. If you have a lot more clearance on the non-drive side, that's it.
Old 05-13-16, 03:20 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
If everything fit properly before you took it apart and now it doesn't it seems obvious you reassembled the bottom bracket incorrectly. I'd reverse the spindle and see if it corrects the problem.
Old 05-13-16, 03:43 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
You don't need to know length it's "supposed" to be. If it's indeed installed correctly all you have to do is get a spindle whose right side (from cone to end) is a few mm longer.
Old 05-13-16, 04:57 PM
scale

i did just measure the crank arms from the stays and the drive side is about 2mm farther away than the nondrive side arm. Looks like i need to pull the spindle and start hunting.

THe bike wasnt ridable when i got it. The chain was shot......and i didnt really check the crank clearance etc. I went directly into pulling it apart to get it clean and start fresh. I almost thought my inside bolts were rubbing but they are flush with the ring. I then thought the spacers were maybe too wide but it looks equal spaced to the other rings. Ill get it figured out im sure. My guess is the previous owner had this same issue hence the missing paint. I just figured they threw the chain and thats what scratched it there. Perhaps not. Time to pull it back apart and take the spindle out. I can hunt the local coops around town and maybe find one that will work.
Old 05-13-16, 06:20 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Another cheap, dirty solution is to install a spacer under the fixed BB cup. If you're close, 2 mm ought to do it. I may have one around here somewhere but it would take me a bit of time to find it.
Old 05-13-16, 06:27 PM
scale

wouldnt that take my unfixed cup in to far and not allow my lockring to thread onto enough threads? I have seen that before. I wonder if it would just be easier to move over to a sealed BB of the correct length for a triple?
Old 05-13-16, 08:54 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
IIRC, the Tourney triple used a very long spindle- 124 or 127.5mm. If the original wore out and a too-short replacement installed.... well, there's your sign.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-14-16, 09:36 AM
scale

Thats my bet. Im going to remove it and check the thing out.
Old 05-14-16, 10:49 AM
scale

looks like from end to end i have a 126mm. from ridge to end on the non drive i have 40mm and from ridge to drive side 42mm.

its stamped SCM-3T
Old 05-14-16, 12:57 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 797 Post(s)
Liked 694 Times in 371 Posts
Hmmm... if I were working on it I would try a 127.5mm spindle and double-check that the right arm has not recessed onto the spindle. If you can't find a spindle, there are 127mm cartrige BB's available. A cartridge BB would also make it easier to add a spacer if it's still too close.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Old 05-14-16, 04:02 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
looks like from end to end i have a 126mm. from ridge to end on the non drive i have 40mm and from ridge to drive side 42mm.

its stamped SCM-3T
3T is the magic number to identify the spindle.
That has an overly long DS, requiring a 130mm "symmetrically equivalent" cartridge BB. Trouble is, 127mm is the longest they make.
Sheldon Brown's Bottom Bracket Size Database

However, a 3-T and 3-U, which has a 1.5mm longer YET DS offset.
You might order 1 of each since the total cost after shipping is still reasonable.
Husky Bicycles: Bottom Bracket Parts
Old 05-14-16, 04:29 PM
scale

thanks for the info. I didnt make it to the shop today. I will look into these lengths for sure. I really want to run the triple if possible. This bike is comming together nicely after clean up.
Old 05-14-16, 11:49 PM
Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
wouldnt that take my unfixed cup in to far and not allow my lockring to thread onto enough threads? I have seen that before. I wonder if it would just be easier to move over to a sealed BB of the correct length for a triple?
2mm won't do any harm. Done that.
Old 02-03-23, 08:52 AM
sbrudno

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Motobecane Super Mirage (3x5 speeds), Motobecane Mirage, Atala (unknown model), Peugeot mixte frame Tourist and Schwinn Sport. A bunch more kids bikes. Most recently a Trek Verve One, tricked up for serious touring.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 27 Posts
I have kind of the same problem, although it does not currently have any metal on metal issues, yet...
I have a 1982 Motobecane Super Mirage which has a double chain ring setup. I found a triple chain ring and need to know if I can continue to use the spindle that was on the double for the triple. There is virtually no clearance from the triple to the chain stay, not fully installed. Do I need to find another (if possible) longer spindle?