Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Have lost the locking pin for Shimano roller brake

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-01-23, 04:52 AM
vkbhatnagar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys, I am new to this whole bike repairs forum. I moved to Denmark about 8 years ago and have become very handy in almost everything given the high cost of labor.
I have 2 boys who are not taking care of their bikes. In order to lead the older one by example (He has junked his USD 1000 mtb in a few years due to neglect). I decided to build a buy a old citybike (26inch wheels) for my younger one and rebuild it completely and make it better than new!

This has taken quite a few weekends now ( tons of youtube and elbow crease) and the Mrs is very unhappy :-)
I am almost finished but I have lost the locking pin of the front roller brake whilst dismantling and cleaning it . I tried more than a few bike repair shops here and they all want me to buy a new brake (costs about 80 to 100 USD) which is what the old citybike costs. I have also spent about USD150 on paints, greases, mudguards, saddle etc. Can somebody give me a suggestion. I have tried using paper clips but they dont work :-)
Old 02-01-23, 04:54 AM
vkbhatnagar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unable to upload pic as I am newbie

Last edited by vkbhatnagar; 02-01-23 at 04:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-01-23, 05:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://dassets.shimano.com/content/...00-R-3742B.pdf
Old 02-01-23, 11:06 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
vkb...- Can you ID the missing part from dedhed's very nice link to the Shimano document? Andy
Old 02-02-23, 05:48 AM
vkbhatnagar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
vkb...- Can you ID the missing part from dedhed's very nice link to the Shimano document? Andy
'

Hi Andrew and Dedhed
The shimano document does not show the component simply because it is not a connecting component. it is a component inside the Roller brake. Shimano does not want you to open the roller brake and service it, I think thats plain wrong but what do i know.
Old 02-02-23, 09:04 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/rollerbrakes.html
https://www.flickr.com/photos/epicyclo/6942448931

​​​​​​
Likes For dedhed:
Old 02-02-23, 11:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
If you upload a pic to the gallery here on BF and tell us it's there, then other can still find it to look at and maybe someone will link it here.

Gallery
Old 02-03-23, 01:07 PM
vkbhatnagar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bikeforums.net-g-picture-28057750
It has been uploaded to the Gallery. Search in the commented tab, you will find a silve G shaped pin. The link is above replace the dash with a backslash
Old 02-03-23, 02:16 PM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 455 Posts
Old 02-04-23, 07:48 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
You can use a wire-bending jig to bend appropriate diameter piano wire (this is important--it means it's fully tempered/hardened, not that it's necessarily from/for a piano) to duplicate your part. A wire-bender with handle is easier to use than the small, desktop mounted plates, but either should work.

Hobbyist springs are frequently made in this manner--they need no further annealing to function properly. I suspect your part is similar in function.

Depending on the diameter of the wire, you can, in fact, use piano wire. It would probably be one of the "cores" used in the lower wrapped strings...though may not be any cheaper than just buying a small roll/rod of what you need. Who knows, you may know a technician who is throwing out a set of strings.
Old 02-04-23, 04:03 PM
vkbhatnagar

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wschruba
You can use a wire-bending jig to bend appropriate diameter piano wire (this is important--it means it's fully tempered/hardened, not that it's necessarily from/for a piano) to duplicate your part. A wire-bender with handle is easier to use than the small, desktop mounted plates, but either should work.

Hobbyist springs are frequently made in this manner--they need no further annealing to function properly. I suspect your part is similar in function.

Depending on the diameter of the wire, you can, in fact, use piano wire. It would probably be one of the "cores" used in the lower wrapped strings...though may not be any cheaper than just buying a small roll/rod of what you need. Who knows, you may know a technician who is throwing out a set of strings.
Thanks this is a workable solution to me. I will hunt for piano/spring wire.
Old 02-04-23, 06:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4191 Post(s)
Liked 3,834 Times in 2,293 Posts
I doubt you will find a compatible spring outside of the Shimano world. Making one would be a nice project although with no experience or intended to do this tooling expect a number of sort of but not quites befor a dully functional spring is had. For this I suggest you get a spool of the right diameter piano wire and not try to recycle an already made spring. Andy