Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Northeast
Reload this Page >

Air Line State Park Trail CT

Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Air Line State Park Trail CT

Old 02-28-18, 04:04 PM
2metalhips

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Pomfret Staion to Wyndham and back today, 37 miiles, very good conditions for this time of year. Just a few wet spots but very little mud or soft spots. Spotted an immature bald eagle not far from Goodwin Forest.
Old 03-09-18, 09:57 PM
pmoller

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great trail !!
Old 04-11-18, 05:41 PM
2metalhips

50 miles today, Goodwin to Willimantic, jumped on the Hop River trail, up to Bolton Notch and back. 95% dirt, trail in good condition, all clear.
Old 04-11-18, 06:14 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
Originally Posted by 2metalhips
trail in good condition, all clear
impressive mileage for an unpaved trail. any trees down from our 4 nor'easters?
Old 04-12-18, 06:44 AM
2metalhips

All down trees cleared out in this section. A couple of weeks ago there were some trees down in the Pomfret section but they may be clear by now.
Old 04-15-18, 02:46 PM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I'm thinking of taking my wife on our tandem bike on the Air Line Trail. She's not that into cycling on a regular basis and doesn't care to go on regular roads with traffic so once or twice a year, we find a bike path and ride 15 - 20 miles. What would folks recommend for the prettiest/lowest traffic section of this trail for up to 20 miles (10 miles out and 10 back). I know this may be subjective but interested in what anyone who's ridden the trail thinks. We could drive to pretty much any part of the trail to start our ride. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-16-18, 06:08 AM
2metalhips

The trail is totally unpaved, so it depends on what size tires you are running on the tandem. Some of the trail is smooth, other places not so much. I recommend a minimum of 32c, I use 35-38-42c. Prefer 38c.
Old 04-16-18, 06:10 AM
rangie

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
I'm thinking of taking my wife on our tandem bike on the Air Line Trail. She's not that into cycling on a regular basis and doesn't care to go on regular roads with traffic so once or twice a year, we find a bike path and ride 15 - 20 miles. What would folks recommend for the prettiest/lowest traffic section of this trail for up to 20 miles (10 miles out and 10 back). I know this may be subjective but interested in what anyone who's ridden the trail thinks. We could drive to pretty much any part of the trail to start our ride. Thanks in advance!
The East Hampton through Salmon River area is probably the nicest scenery.
Old 04-16-18, 06:41 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by dennis336
She's not that into cycling on a regular basis and doesn't care to go on regular roads with traffic so once or twice a year, we find a bike path and ride 15 - 20 miles
when I think of my Wife I think of this trail. still have to get her there. good flat one, with other ppl so you never feel creeped out alone in the woods. parking at 21 Miles Rd, Rutland, MA 01543

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...ail-trail.html
Old 04-16-18, 07:32 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
when I think of my Wife I think of this trail. still have to get her there. good flat one, with other ppl so you never feel creeped out alone in the woods. parking at 21 Miles Rd, Rutland, MA 01543

https://www.bikeforums.net/northeast...ail-trail.html
Thanks for the tip - we'll check it out!
Old 04-16-18, 07:33 AM
dennis336

Originally Posted by rangie
The East Hampton through Salmon River area is probably the nicest scenery.
That's perfect as East Hampton is the point closest to our home. Thanks so much for your response!
Old 08-08-19, 01:08 PM
IchbinJay

Bikes: Cannondale Slate 105 (2017)

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
I did a thing the other day and blogged about it:

A Trail Less Traveled: There and There Some More: 90 Miles on the Southern New England Trunkline Trail and the Airline State Park Trail
Likes For IchbinJay:
Old 08-08-19, 03:58 PM
rumrunn6

In sandals no less? Impressive
Old 08-08-19, 06:34 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Haha, not exactly. That was just after I took my cycling shoes off. Although, I think Keen did make a cycling sandal back in the day.
Old 08-09-19, 03:59 PM
2metalhips

Great job on the ride and blog, I've ridden those sections many times. At some point in the future the Airline will extend from Pomfret Station to Putnam, right now they are installing sewer pipe under the trail. The Airline is very nice from the station to Willimantic, at that point it becomes paved for a few miles. It contimues unpaved at the Willimantic river southwest about 25 miles to East Hampton/Portland, very nice, recommended. In Willimantic/Columbia you can also split off onto the Hop River Trail, unpaved towards the northwest 22 miles or so to Vernon CT. Also recommended. There are also lots of fire/dirt roads off the Airline near the Goodwin Forest.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 08-10-19, 10:40 AM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Great job on the ride and blog, I've ridden those sections many times. At some point in the future the Airline will extend from Pomfret Station to Putnam, right now they are installing sewer pipe under the trail. The Airline is very nice from the station to Willimantic, at that point it becomes paved for a few miles. It contimues unpaved at the Willimantic river southwest about 25 miles to East Hampton/Portland, very nice, recommended. In Willimantic/Columbia you can also split off onto the Hop River Trail, unpaved towards the northwest 22 miles or so to Vernon CT. Also recommended. There are also lots of fire/dirt roads off the Airline near the Goodwin Forest.
Thanks for the positive feedback. I loved riding the Connecticut section. With the exception of Blackstone, MA, it was by far the better trail. I'll have to make down that way again and ride some more. I'll have to check out the Hop River Trail too.
Old 08-12-19, 09:28 AM
LeFreakyBone

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
On my ride on the Airline trail (East Hampton to Pomfret and back), I missed the signs saying the sections going northbound after Pomfret station were closed, and I accidentally rode them.They were very rough, clearly under construction. I ended up going down in a mud pit and got to test just how waterproof my Apple Watch is
Lesson learned! I'd love to do it again and pick up the Southern New England Trunkline Trail, I didn't know about that one.
Likes For LeFreakyBone:
Old 08-13-19, 02:16 PM
2metalhips

Originally Posted by LeFreakyBone
On my ride on the Airline trail (East Hampton to Pomfret and back), I missed the signs saying the sections going northbound after Pomfret station were closed, and I accidentally rode them.They were very rough, clearly under construction. I ended up going down in a mud pit and got to test just how waterproof my Apple Watch is
Lesson learned! I'd love to do it again and pick up the Southern New England Trunkline Trail, I didn't know about that one.
Nice ride! There is a road route through Putnam and Thompson that takes you to a parking area on Rt 12 in Thompson that takes you back onto the Airline/SNETT.
How do you like your Rodeo Labs? I'm thinking about a Trail Donkey for the future maybe.

I was on the Airline over the weekend and jumped on some fire/dirt roads in the Natchaug Forest and there is some serious logging going on there in the area of Kingsbury and Pilfershire Roads near the Silvermine horse camp with some closures. The loggers were not happy to see me. FYI

Last edited by 2metalhips; 08-13-19 at 02:25 PM.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 08-14-19, 07:18 AM
LeFreakyBone

Bikes: BMX – FBM Gypsy; Gravel/Adventure – Rodeo Labs Flaanimal 4.1; Mountain – Santa Cruz Bronson CC X01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Nice ride! There is a road route through Putnam and Thompson that takes you to a parking area on Rt 12 in Thompson that takes you back onto the Airline/SNETT.
How do you like your Rodeo Labs? I'm thinking about a Trail Donkey for the future maybe.

I was on the Airline over the weekend and jumped on some fire/dirt roads in the Natchaug Forest and there is some serious logging going on there in the area of Kingsbury and Pilfershire Roads near the Silvermine horse camp with some closures. The loggers were not happy to see me. FYI
I absolutely love the Flaanimal! It is very fitting for everything I do. Everybody at the company is super nice and patient when helping me build a bike that fit my needs and budget. I just recently did my first cycling event in VT, and there was one person there on a Trail Donkey. Those look super nice in person. I think it'll be my future n+1.

I do remember one spot along the Airline Trail where it looked like they were doing some logging. The trail was taped off, but there were no signs warning of a trail closing or a detour, so I just went through. On my return trip I saw someone took it upon themselves to rip the tape down ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 08-17-19, 06:22 AM
2metalhips

Pomfret Station to East Hampton and back, 82 miles, trail is completely dry at this time, great conditions. FYI, the area between the East Hampton parking area and the Rapallo Viaduct is about to undergo some repairs. There are some washouts down to the ballast rocks, it was being staked out as I rode through.
Likes For 2metalhips:
Old 05-27-20, 06:32 PM
rumrunn6

note to self: more to explore
Old 05-27-20, 07:01 PM
IchbinJay

Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
note to self: more to explore
How are the trails looking? It'll be a while before I can make it back down that way.
Old 05-27-20, 08:15 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by IchbinJay
How are the trails looking? It'll be a while before I can make it back down that way.
I’ll let you know if i get out there myself! It’s been dry so I’m guessing conditions are good

Last edited by rumrunn6; 09-23-22 at 01:02 PM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-28-20, 01:02 PM
2metalhips

Trails are in very good shape.
Old 09-16-22, 11:31 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
just a friendly update from a central CT native:

the north section past Pomfret is complete. They did a great job, and the bridges over the road after the Pomfret Station are very nice.

Also, they have approved the money to complete the wet section near Depot Hill Rd in Portland (Cobalt?). I think they are going to put an elevated board walk over it. When that is done you'll be able to ride from Portland to East Hampton with no road. Currently you have to get off at Depot Hill Rd and ride on Rte 66 for a mile or so to pick up the trail again at the intersection of 16 and 66.

The Airline is a jewel.
Likes For RB1-luvr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.