Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Workout drinks

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Workout drinks

Old 01-31-21, 11:27 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3872 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Salt is an electrolyte. I used to put a pinch or two in my bottles when I was using diluted fruit juice in my bottles. I typically use more electrolytes in very hot temps and way few if any during cold whether.

As for drinking milk, I used to think it disgusting too and thought it would immediately sour in my stomach and I'd vomit it up quick. However I actually tried a bottle of chocolate milk given out at the end of an organized ride by a sponsor, and surprisingly it was refreshing with no issues. For a recovery drink, chocolate milk's nutrition breakdown holds up well compared to most other recovery drinks.

For using it while on the bike? Well I think he says he uses a dilute mix. So maybe not so much unlike the drink mixes for use on the bike that have protein in them.
I have a rando friend, a big guy 6'7" who will down a quart of chocolate milk at a control. "I'm down a quart." I tried a pint once about 40k from the finish and never again. Didn't barf but felt queasy. Some can, some can't.
Old 02-01-21, 05:02 PM
Cycling Boss

Bikes: Roubaix, Camber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 1 Post
I have used Tailwind a couple times and it seems to be OK with my stomach. I don't really notice a difference in performance per say the way that I seem to really notice a difference after taking in a gel. Perhaps this is because I just slowly drink it down, not sure.
Old 02-02-21, 09:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Tailwind Endurance Fuel mix is pretty high in Sodium and other electrolytes compared to the amount of carbs it gives. For Me in the summer time really hot weather it might be close to the ratio of carbs to electrolyte I use, but for normal riding I couldn't use it. Too much electrolyte for me has been just as bad as none.

If it's right for you, that's okay, but don't just blindly think because something markets itself as a sports drink that it's right for you. Compare the amount of carbohydrate, sodium and other electrolytes it gives you. I very much prefer mixes or drinks with few to no electrolytes and sodium. That way I can fill my bottles with the amount of carbs I want for a ride and then add electrolyte to get it to the level I want. My ratio of carbs to electrolyte depends on several things. Among them are air temperature, length of ride and level of effort.

I'd put many sport drinks in the way too high on electrolyte category. Particularly for those that really aren't riding at a "sport" level of effort.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-20-21, 08:00 PM
Attilio

Bikes: Salsa!

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 39 Posts
Water. From the tap as it's cheaper and almost always safe. Everything else packs on the pounds which is what you don't want.
Old 02-23-21, 09:32 PM
mr_pedro

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
If you're riding at a very slow pace, not burning a lot of calories then indeed water-only is perfectly fine drink for cycling if you're avoiding gaining weight.

At present, I drink decaf coffee milk on the bike with sugar and 3 pinches of salt and not gaining weight at 125 lbs.
Indeed, all depends how intense the ride. For most rides up to 2 hours it is not strictly needed to take carbs, but it makes it so much easier to go hard.

On the harder workouts, that for me can be up to 850-950 Cal per hour, I will add 8 tablespoons of sugar and 1.5 g of salt in a water bottle per hour. Afterwards I still need to eat some more, and I am actually loosing weight at the moment.

On the other hand, for rides in the “fat burning zone”, burning about 600 Cal per hour I drink just water and eat some fruit afterwards if it is for 1 hour and I will add perhaps 3 tablespoons of sugar per hour to the water for longer rides.
Likes For mr_pedro:
Old 03-03-21, 02:52 PM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
In the days before Sports Nutrition, we would use 60% Water, 40% Fruit Juice with a pinch of salt, we would also use flat diet coke (diet coke contains more caffiene than normal coke) and for the final 30km of a race we would be given a bottle of cold coffee, brandy and honey. On the trainer I drink 2l of water on the run up to a session, while on the bike I use Enervit Isotonic (about 250ml) but make it up half strength and afterwards I have a litre of water to rehydrate. Most of my rides on the trainer are 1 hour plus riding between 220-400w, weekends its 2 x 3hrs
Likes For Dirk de Chablis:
Old 03-04-21, 04:58 AM
mr_pedro

Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
In the days before Sports Nutrition, we would use 60% Water, 40% Fruit Juice with a pinch of salt, we would also use flat diet coke (diet coke contains more caffiene than normal coke) and for the final 30km of a race we would be given a bottle of cold coffee, brandy and honey. On the trainer I drink 2l of water on the run up to a session, while on the bike I use Enervit Isotonic (about 250ml) but make it up half strength and afterwards I have a litre of water to rehydrate. Most of my rides on the trainer are 1 hour plus riding between 220-400w, weekends its 2 x 3hrs
If you need to drink that much more water on the trainer because of much more sweating, perhaps you could look into extra ventilation? Ideally there is not a pool of sweat on the ground afterwards.

Last edited by mr_pedro; 03-04-21 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-04-21, 09:49 AM
Dirk de Chablis

Bikes: A red one, a white one, a white and red one and a silver one

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_pedro
If you need to drink that much more water on the trainer because of much more sweating, perhaps you could look into extra ventilation? Ideally there is not a pool of sweat on the ground afterwards.
When I say I drink 2l of water on the run up to a session, that is through the day and then I jump on the bike at 5pm and ride for an hour plus and them have another litre of water afterwards, I have a fan in front of me and the window open behind me
Old 03-04-21, 10:06 AM
mr_pedro

Originally Posted by Dirk de Chablis
When I say I drink 2l of water on the run up to a session, that is through the day and then I jump on the bike at 5pm and ride for an hour plus and them have another litre of water afterwards, I have a fan in front of me and the window open behind me
Gotcha, always good to stay hydrated.
I used to always need a towel to cover the bike and although I had a fan, after the warming up sweat would start dripping continuously for the threshold and above workouts.
Recently I have a blower type fan that I can keep in the lowest position for enough cooling that only a couple of drops hit the ground.
That still leaves me some margin when the weather heats up.
Old 11-10-21, 02:33 AM
benhlth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I prefer water and fruit juice. You can also try a meal replacement shake.
Old 11-14-21, 11:32 PM
Rebecca01

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ensure Complete, Balanced Nutrition
Old 11-15-21, 12:02 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Moonshine.
Old 11-15-21, 04:31 AM
benhlth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I think that's the only right way to take your drinks, otherwise, you'll feel bloated and feel worse.
Right
Old 10-06-22, 09:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
Originally Posted by hollymolly
I always drink sparkling water during the cycling but would like to try a protein shake too. Any recommendations?
Until you decide that there is an issue in your cycling that might benefit from a hydration strategy, you can try anything that you think you'll like. Quite a bit depends on whether you are just going for a leisurely ride or are riding like you are a crazed adrenaline junkie.

Welcome to BF!

Some of us don't care for Zombie thread revivals. Just start your own so new remarks or arguments don't get made to members no longer here to benefit or defend their comments.