Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

What Bicycling Rules do you follow that Experience has taught you?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

What Bicycling Rules do you follow that Experience has taught you?

Old 02-25-21, 03:05 PM
y0x8
Ups!

Bikes: SE, Polo&Bike, Forward Indie, New Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 79 Posts
Old 02-25-21, 04:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by y0x8
Yeah, nobody is going to do that.
Old 02-25-21, 08:09 PM
5 mph

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 50 Posts
What if you have to adjust your spokes? I ride Single speed also. I got this thing about having an arrow straight tire, so I can adjust my brake pads down to a 1/32" clearance without the pads rubbing.
Old 02-25-21, 08:22 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
When cars pass me, I think to myself it's the second car that can kill. You can hear a car coming up but you can't hear the 2d one if they are following each other so it's a reminder to be careful when a car is passing you because you don't know how many cars are behind it.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-25-21, 08:36 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Life is short.

Enjoy every ride.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 02-25-21, 08:43 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
When cars pass me, I think to myself it's the second car that can kill. You can hear a car coming up but you can't hear the 2d one if they are following each other so it's a reminder to be careful when a car is passing you because you don't know how many cars are behind it.
Actually its the trailer behind the car/truck.

Years ago I heard an ambulance coming up behind me so I pulled toward the curb. It passed and as I was going to give the curb some room, a send ambulance passed with no siren. It was close.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-25-21, 09:52 PM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by masonv45
Never ride close to the line on the side of the road. It "encourages" vehicles behind you to attempt to squeeze by without going into the opposing lane to pass.

Ride far enough away that a car passing you will be forced to go into the opposing lane of traffic. Hopefully, it will encourage the driver to make a safer pass - safer for you & safer for them.
This never works for me. Lane changes don't exist relative to cyclist. No matter where you are in the lane cars will only pass by absolute minimum distance. Get far enough left and they may squeeze right. Primary reason I stopped commuting. Occurred too frequently on high speed stretch i couldn't avoid.
Old 02-26-21, 12:24 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Always wear sunscreen.

Old 02-26-21, 03:24 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I don’t ride against traffic. I stop at stop signs and red lights. I use vehicular cycling rules whenever possible. I have a helmet with lights and turn signals but still use arm signals. I don’t ride MUP’s.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-26-21, 10:16 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,826 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I don’t ride against traffic. I stop at stop signs and red lights. I use vehicular cycling rules whenever possible. I have a helmet with lights and turn signals but still use arm signals. I don’t ride MUP’s.
Never seems a helmet with turn signals. Care to share a picture? How do you activate them?

Old 02-26-21, 10:33 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Never seems a helmet with turn signals. Care to share a picture? How do you activate them?
It is called a Lumos and you can check it out on line. It can pair with a smart watch or you can use the little remote that attaches to the handle bars. I have not tried the watch thing , I use the remote(wireless) and it works great. I have had people pull up beside me and roll their window down to tell me how great it is. It aint cheap but very comfy and now available as a MIPS . Mine is one of the first ones out and it is still working well. I don't ride at night so I use it for added visibility with the flashers on the bike.

The white LED's turn yellow on one side and flash when turn signal is activated , same on the back only red
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-26-21, 12:30 PM
WonderMonkey

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Quick 5, 2014 Raleigh Revenio 2.0

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 36 Posts
  • People in your riding group will blow right through stop signs, and then complain about vehicles doing the same
  • Wear a Road ID to give contact information. Keeping it on your bike is good, but in an emergency, you may be disconnected from your bike
  • If I want to add some distance but I'm wondering if I can make it, pedal away from home half of that distance. You will need to come back
  • Wear knee sleeves unless it's warm. Us people of a certain age have to keep our joints warm and lubricated
  • I have to put an event on the horizon or I find reasons to not ride as much as I want/should
Old 02-26-21, 02:39 PM
bykemike 

Bikes: 2017 BMC Roadmachine 01 Enve wheels, Sram red etap,Cinelli Vigorelli single speed, 2009 Cannondale Capo, 2016 trek Domane 6.9, disc and Di2, 2016 Scott Scale 710, 27.5 plus tires and boost rims

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 81 Posts
Riding out from your car you are feeling good and moving along at 16 mph with little effort, all that training is starting to pay off, plus those new lighter tires, so I'll put on an extra 5 miles today, right?

Wrong! The wind is behind you and you are going to pay a big price for that extra mileage after you turn around.

35 years of riding and I can still get caught with this one.

Last edited by bykemike; 02-26-21 at 08:31 PM.
Likes For bykemike:
Old 02-27-21, 11:29 AM
h2oxtc

Bikes: Cannondale Caad 8; Jamis Aurora Elite, Kona Disc road bike, Rocky Mntn Equipe, Apollo Imperial, KHS Aero Comp SS

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Altair 4
This.

Two of my three crashes were directly related to these conditions. I now cross railroad tracks like they're going to reach out and bite me like a snake.

I concur ... once bitten, twice shy. Or more like forever shy.
Old 02-28-21, 10:58 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
My will to live is as strong as anyone’s. I use my eyes and ears to determine if it’s safe to turn. I don’t live in an area with bike lanes. I ride where the traffic is intermittent and moving @ 55mph or better, on two-lane winding roads. Be predictable, follow the rules of the road. When it’s time to turn onto a different road I rotate my head and actually look to see if there are any cars, log trucks, motorcycles or giant RVs closing on me. It works.

If I was riding on city streets I would keep my head on a swivel and my ears in operation to stay alive. I would not be scanning a set of eleven mini mirrors bolted all over my bike. I would turn my head and look. Why? Because a direct view of traffic works.

I have a Garmin Varia that tells me about approaching vehicles behind me, but I don’t rely on it as my indicator of whether or not it’s safe to turn. It’s a situational awareness aid for the times when I’m cruising and vehicles pass me, so that I know they’re coming. (I have it set to chirp.) I am an interactive bike rider- my head turns, my hands & arms signal turns and stops when someone is behind me, and I am more than just a passenger on my own bike. I’m pretty fortunate to live in an area where there are miles and miles of great paved road riding, and tons of dirt road/gravel riding. Not many people. Tourists, though, lots of those all summer long. I just don’t find mirrors all that helpful. Look at the real traffic, not a reflection of it. Be certain. Be safe.
so a garmin varia is a valid “situational awareness aid” but a mirror isn’t. Riiight👍🙄
Old 02-28-21, 08:51 PM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Winter is worse with a low sun angle. I have both front and rear lights that I use during the day to be visible.
A flashing front and rear light is always a great idea and practice!!!
Likes For md11mx:
Old 02-28-21, 09:00 PM
md11mx

Bikes: Devinci Oslo

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
[QUOTE=70sSanO;21937586]Never look “over” your prescription glasses if they slide down while you are in the drops.
Not true, my left eye is 5/20!!! I wear glasses because of my right eye and it only corrects to 20/20. I frequently slide my glasses down on purpose in the winter when I come inside.

Cheers,
Way up North,
David]
Old 03-01-21, 12:10 PM
afm199

Bikes: Trek Madone, 2012, Trek Kronos CX Ultimate, 2012

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
Wow, lots of good info here, and paranoia wins the prize always.

I'm both a cyclist and long time motorcycle rider. I ride my bicycles exactly like I ride my motorcycles. I assume that everyone driving a car, truck or motorcycle is a homicidal maniac waiting for the opportunity to kill me the moment I take my attention away.
Old 03-01-21, 12:21 PM
SkyWave

Bikes: 1970 Gitane Tandem, OPUS CX Ultegra Di2 '14, MARINONI Retro SL Campagnolo '17, MARINONI Tourismo '00 Shimano 105, KHS Tandemania Cross Shimano

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by masonv45
Never ride close to the line on the side of the road. It "encourages" vehicles behind you to attempt to squeeze by without going into the opposing lane to pass.

Ride far enough away that a car passing you will be forced to go into the opposing lane of traffic. Hopefully, it will encourage the driver to make a safer pass - safer for you & safer for them.
YES I agree with #1, I tend to move to the middle of the lane particularly when there is approaching traffic on country roads, otherwise following traffic will try to pass your bike without moving over as you suggest.
Old 03-01-21, 01:07 PM
buzz-man

Bikes: '86 Masi G.C., '90 Masi 3V, '82 Sekai 4000 & 2400, Bianchi Volpe & C2C, Trek 2.3, Specialized HardRock & FatBoy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
"Your shadow points to danger." The longer the shadow, the more the sun is in the eyes of motorists coming from that direction.
Likes For buzz-man:
Old 03-01-21, 01:12 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Never assume they see you, if you don't see their eyes you don't know for sure.

Ride 3' from parked cars since most people never look back before opening the door.

Right turn after stop doesn't mean much to most drivers.

Stop signs are just a suggestion for most drivers.

If an unleashed dog jumps in front of you, aim for the owner

Runners on a MUP will make a 180 without looking over their shoulder.
I could not have created a better list.

My only addition is always carry a spare tube AND a patch kit. I get a lot of ribbing about that rule, but those who rib readily humble themselves when they need my "obsolete frame pump."
Old 03-01-21, 01:22 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
My #1 rule (particularly when riding out in rural areas) is "Do not make the drivers mad. That is when they do stupid stuff and they are bigger than you:".

dave
Old 03-01-21, 01:24 PM
RustedRoot

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
+Always wear a garish kit
+Daytime running lights -- front and rear -- are essential
+Use hand signals and gestures often (absent a certain single digit if you can) -- drivers appreciate it.
+Cyclists may use the lane -- when in doubt, do it. Safety first.

Common thread in the above: TO BE SEEN
Likes For RustedRoot:
Old 03-01-21, 01:29 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill in VA
My only addition is always carry a spare tube AND a patch kit.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-01-21, 01:34 PM
trek800

Bikes: trek 800 antelope, older raliegh 10 speed

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never trust a dog chasing you.

Always keep your bike between you and any dog that is chasing you. Get off and walk away with the bike between you and the dog. Never trust a dog that is chasing you.
Likes For trek800:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.