Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Hate towards cyclists

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Hate towards cyclists

Old 10-23-22, 05:10 AM
baobao

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hate towards cyclists

Anyone see this story?
https://www.foxnews.com/us/tampa-man-showed-no-remorse-allegedly-killing-clearwater-bicyclist-tire-iron-police-say

I often get honked at if i am on road with 40mph speed limit if there is no shoulder and i have to for safety take the road for 25 to 50 yards.

I try to prevent annoying drivers by waiting my palm,but ocassionally i get a driver yell ass**** ...get off the road

I ask waive thumbs up as thank you fir their comments
Likes For baobao:
Old 10-23-22, 05:18 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Florida man is as Florida man does.

Not really cyclist related so much as random sociopath.

Meh.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 10-23-22, 05:23 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I cannot remember the last time someone yelled at me while riding my bike here. All the old pickup truck drivers are so nice to me, no problems really. They give me the lane and wave as they pass.

Florida? Happens all the time when I ride down there. I am prepared when I ride there.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 10-23-22, 07:02 AM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
I live in Jacksonville Fl, supposedly one of the least cyclist-friendly cities in a state that's also suppose to be unfriendly toward cyclists. I get the typical stuff we all get as cyclists, such as, "get off the road", "get on the sidewalk", horns blown... However, it's not that much, at least compared to other places I've lived. Actually it's very, very little, so little I can't recall the last time I got yelled at or had a horn blown at me.

I think a lot of it has to do with how the cyclist rides. I'm very predictable in my riding and I give signals for turning or when I have to take the lane and I stop at lights and stop signs. Granted I practice the Idaho Stop method, but I come to a full stop if I arrive at a stop sign at the same time or even just slightly before a motorist. I think a lot of cyclists misunderstand this method as the cyclist being able to just roll thru (not blow thru), regardless -- this is wrong, you must stop at times.

And then you just got idiots out there, which has less to do with hatred towards cyclists and more to do with just hate. Just look at all the motorist-on-motorist road rage nowadays.

Likes For work4bike:
Old 10-23-22, 07:57 AM
Alleytom

Bikes: 92 GT Arette, 78 Paramount, 2012 Pugsley, Late 70s Gilmour, 74 Centurion LeMans

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 35 Posts
I admit there have been no incidents at all for me on my bike since the issue with the Jeep driver, that was a lifetime ago (and in another state) and for the most part I ride the canals, not the roads if at all possible, I am also very courteous to all, cyclists, walkers & drivers, And you are absolutely right about how bad driving is nowadays, my work involves a lot of windshield time, I have seen way more road rage in the last few years then ever before.

Last edited by BillyD; 11-25-22 at 04:07 PM. Reason: No gun talk.
Old 10-23-22, 09:21 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
My family and I were discussing incidents where a driver blew the horn at them as a pedestrian. One incident was crossing the store's parking lot to enter and the other was crossing in protected lanes with signs. We agreed that to blow a horn in this setting says more about the driver's mental state. Folks are distracted and anxious about so many things.

Another observation is how drivers speed in parking lots.

I realize these accounts are not bike related, but perhaps we need to consider the problem is not with bicyclists. However, I do see some bicyclists and motorcyclists riding in a way that is a danger to themselves, others, and deserve the criticism they receive..
Likes For Chuck Naill:
Old 10-23-22, 11:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
In many states, there are two circumstances in which you can legally use your horn:

1. To avoid an accident.

2. On a blind turn (which is in essence a special case of #1).

I don't think any states allow it to be used to convey a message such as "get the hell out of my way".
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 10-23-22, 03:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,781 Times in 3,299 Posts
Most of the people that are a'holes to you while on the bike are probably a'holes to other drivers as well. No matter what you do, if you do it long enough you will find the people that think you are a bother to them.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-24-22, 04:05 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Alleytom
Had someone in a jeep actually chase me several years ago after he got behind me and honked several times, there was no bike lane. I flipped him off, he chased me through a parking lot, luckily I got away. After that and ever since I ride armed.
I have a similar story. A taxi driver. Chased me around a busy mall parking lot, which was hilarious. I taunted the Hell out of him there.

Ever since I keep my fingers to myself.
Old 10-26-22, 10:36 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
In many states, there are two circumstances in which you can legally use your horn:

1. To avoid an accident.

2. On a blind turn (which is in essence a special case of #1).

I don't think any states allow it to be used to convey a message such as "get the hell out of my way".
3. Alert a distracted driver that the light is now green, & to proceed forward to no loner impede traffic.
Old 10-26-22, 10:41 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
hey wife and I were on the tandem on a bike path coming to a street with a light that is triggered by bikes or a walk button. we got there 20 seconds sooner then a guy on the opposite side. he started screaming I should push the button cussing me out. the light trued about 2 seconds after he pushed the button because I had triggered it. but it never stopped him from screaming at us.
Old 10-26-22, 10:52 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
3. Alert a distracted driver that the light is now green, & to proceed forward to no loner impede traffic.
That's the same as #1 to me. If they don't friggen go, I am going to help them.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 10-26-22, 12:25 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I once yelled at a driver to "Put down your phone" because I didn't have bike a horn at that time.

The average response time is about 0.3 seconds plus the time it takes for the vehicle to respond. So we expect about 1 second. But I know of drivers who honk as soon as the light turns green.

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-26-22 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-26-22, 02:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by baobao

I often get honked at if i am on road with 40mph speed limit if there is no shoulder and i have to for safety take the road for 25 to 50 yards.

I try to prevent annoying drivers by waiting my palm,but ocassionally i get a driver yell ass**** ...get off the road

I ask waive thumbs up as thank you fir their comments
I can only guess what what any motorist who is stopped in traffic thinks of a bicyclist who yells at them "put down the phone" or similar advice, or uses some sort of noise making device to alert them that he or she hasn't haven't moved out quick enough at a changed traffic light to satisfy the impatient bicyclist. Probably doesn't promote love towards the bicyclist.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-27-22, 03:24 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Daniel4
I once yelled at a driver to "Put down your phone" because I didn't have bike a horn at that time.

The average response time is about 0.3 seconds plus the time it takes for the vehicle to respond. So we expect about 1 second. But I know of drivers who honk as soon as the light turns green.
When the intersection is known for being busy, short timed signal, & during rush hour, I would consider a polite "HEY!" or a soft "HONK!" is about as best as the distracted driver could get.... Most default to a more aggressive means of alerting them...
Old 10-27-22, 09:12 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4

I tend to take a moment after the light turns green to look both ways before proceeding. Someone running a red light will take you out in a heartbeat if you are too quick into the intersection.
Old 10-27-22, 10:28 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
I tend to take a moment after the light turns green to look both ways before proceeding. Someone running a red light will take you out in a heartbeat if you are too quick into the intersection.
If the intersection is a blind area, i can understand the delay.... not when all directions are clear in view.
Old 10-27-22, 10:42 AM
Oldairhead 
RUSA #3100

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 505 Times in 181 Posts
If the intersection is a blind area, i can understand the delay.... not when all directions are clear in view.
This was kind of in response to post #14 above which suggested honking for anything over a 1 second delay. It doesn't take a limited view intersection to be at risk. A car traveling at 60 mph covers 88 feet in one second. Red light runners are often "on the gas" and well above speed limits when doing their deed. I guess its my motorcyclist survival skills in play here, head on a swivel etc.
Old 10-27-22, 10:52 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 443 Posts
here in the Dirty Den (Meriden CT), motorists pretty much want cyclists, joggers and pedestrians dead.

I got yelled at one night while jogging in reflectorized clothing and sneaks and a 200 lumen headlamp by an old lady in a gold buick "just want you to know, we can't see you!", I replied nicely "but I have a light and reflectors!", she replied "**** you! can't see you!" After a lifetime of b.s. from motorists, even that one shocked me. I nearly stopped running because of it.
Old 10-27-22, 10:55 AM
Troul 

Originally Posted by Oldairhead
This was kind of in response to post #14 above which suggested honking for anything over a 1 second delay. It doesn't take a limited view intersection to be at risk. A car traveling at 60 mph covers 88 feet in one second. Red light runners are often "on the gas" and well above speed limits when doing their deed. I guess its my motorcyclist survival skills in play here, head on a swivel etc.
a red light runner could also come from behind & slam into the person waiting at the intersection. Sometimes, trying to avoid an accident results in other risks.
Old 10-27-22, 12:06 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
In my community, one doesn't dare proceed when the light turns green as the intersection will still be full of speeding drivers.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 10-27-22, 01:19 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by baobao
Or, just hatred that many are finding they've little to no control over their lives anymore.

These days, it's hard to imagine what's motivating and driving people to think murder is the "out" for their frustrations. Bad burrito, someone in front (read: "ahead") of them on the road, someone not regarding (read: "disrespecting") them, someone talking "back" to them, even giving a look that's disliked.

Of course, much of the west-central coastline of Florida is a bit messy, right now. Wouldn't surprise me a few mental cases are blowing gaskets for no good reason. This time, like as not, it just happened to be someone on a bicycle who was unfortunate enough to cross paths with these idiots. Momma should have worked harder at instilling a moral compass into these cretins.

"Modern" culture. Can't be explained.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-27-22, 01:40 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
last time someone yelled at me, it was a guy in a beat up old 2 wheel drive pickup truck: "FU Yuppie!" at least it wasn't that mean
Old 10-27-22, 04:00 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3767 Post(s)
Liked 1,035 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
here in the Dirty Den (Meriden CT), motorists pretty much want cyclists, joggers and pedestrians dead.

I got yelled at one night while jogging in reflectorized clothing and sneaks and a 200 lumen headlamp by an old lady in a gold buick "just want you to know, we can't see you!", I replied nicely "but I have a light and reflectors!", she replied "**** you! can't see you!" After a lifetime of b.s. from motorists, even that one shocked me. I nearly stopped running because of it.
Funny you mention that. When I hiked the Appalachian Trail, one of the worst states WRT friendliness was Connecticut. I don't mean to say that all Connecticuters are bad people, but I was glad to get out of Connecticut.

What I really hated is that Connecticut bans all fires, all the time along the Appalachian Trail

Old 10-27-22, 09:46 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
we were having a nice enough ride in the rain coming to this street. our bike will trigger the light almost every time so I don't push the button lines it des not. usually you can cross without it anyway but this guy on the other side started screaming at us for not pushing the button. even though it was our bike that triggered it or it would have taken longe. he continued to yell at us as we crossed. bad case of bike path rage I guess.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.