Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

wahoo kickr core breakdown!

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Old 03-17-22, 06:00 AM
sampdoria

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all! unknowingly, when dismantling the sticky bearing, I severely damaged the black-and-white sticker (optical disc). Because of this, problems with the sensor readings. Any thoughts on how you can try to bring the machine into working condition? Wahoo kickr core machine
Old 03-17-22, 10:16 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
i have not seen the encoder disk so do not know know fine the lines are. i would guess that they are not very fine since the flywheel does not rotate that fast. were it me i would just duplicate it on paper. black and white presumably? white paper and a sharpie, i am guessing the sensor is just a retroreflector type. but, if an optical sensor then possibly clear and black which means a plastic disk and again a sharpie or something to block light. thin plastic can be obtained from clear to-go food containers from the deli and other places. a photo would be more helpful to give better suggestions.
Old 03-17-22, 10:39 AM
sampdoria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
i have not seen the encoder disk so do not know know fine the lines are. i would guess that they are not very fine since the flywheel does not rotate that fast. were it me i would just duplicate it on paper. black and white presumably? white paper and a sharpie, i am guessing the sensor is just a retroreflector type. but, if an optical sensor then possibly clear and black which means a plastic disk and again a sharpie or something to block light. thin plastic can be obtained from clear to-go food containers from the deli and other places. a photo would be more helpful to give better suggestions.
Yes. black and white round sticker. I can't attach a photo. but I think that you need to make a completely new tape. for the sensor, the number and size of black and white stripes is important. what do you think it is necessary to get straight identically? And is the material important?
Old 03-17-22, 11:46 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by sampdoria
Yes. black and white round sticker. I can't attach a photo. but I think that you need to make a completely new tape. for the sensor, the number and size of black and white stripes is important. what do you think it is necessary to get straight identically? And is the material important?
i think you can attach a photo to your gallery and then i think i can look at it. and yes, the number and spacing is important. i would not worry about duplicating exactly but just be very close. you might even try just scanning it and printing it, then fixing up, cutting out, then tape it on. not sure if this is a glossy material but i doubt that matters, it is the dark and light sections that matter.
Old 03-18-22, 02:44 AM
sampdoria

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks! I'll try to draw a layout and print it on adhesive tape.
Old 03-18-22, 05:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,686 Times in 2,509 Posts
There are encoder wheel generator programs, like this one https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1527