Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Gran Sport 12 1982 - Team colours?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 08-07-22, 01:15 PM
Dave_B

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Specialized Tarmac SL4, Gazelle Champion Mondial, Raleigh Gran Sport 1982

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi,
I picked up a 1982 Raleigh Gran Sport 12 a couple of years ago, in rough cosmetic condition. However, I've just stripped it to start work and the components are in really nice condition so I'm going to invest time in it. It's the red 'Team' option rather than the more common caramel colour. My question is, there's no decal on the top tube nor any sign that there ever was one, and it looks a little bare. The caramel bikes have 'Campagnolo Gran Sport' on the toptube. Can anyone confirm if there ever was a decal there in the Team colours, please?
Thanks for any replies,
Dave
Likes For Dave_B:
Old 08-07-22, 01:22 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
"Gran Sport" may refer to the components. The "Team" model has "Nuovo Record" components

maybe this will help...

https://classiclightweights.net/wp-co...-Racing-p3.jpg
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-07-22, 02:26 PM
Dave_B

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Specialized Tarmac SL4, Gazelle Champion Mondial, Raleigh Gran Sport 1982

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I'd seen that image. My frame has Campag Gran Sport top to bottom. Also, the 531 decal on my frame is between the shift levers just like the Gran Sport in the image, where the Team has the 531 decal on the seat tube.
Likes For Dave_B:
Old 08-07-22, 03:44 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 419 Posts
I think you can upload photos to your album
Likes For branko_76:
Old 08-08-22, 12:54 AM
Dave_B

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks again, I appreciate the help. Right, I've uploaded some photos into my album. Hopefully they are visible? (Sorry, I wasn't sure if I needed to share them in some way.....)
Old 08-08-22, 02:35 PM
kermie

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Cross 2.0 LE, 1993 Santana Vision, 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1993 Trek 930, 1985 Panasonic DX3000

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 55 Posts
Here we go:

Likes For kermie:
Old 08-08-22, 04:24 PM
Dave_B

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks
Likes For Dave_B:
Old 08-08-22, 04:51 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
I've seen decals on the top tube that designate the model of the bicycle.

I've seen Team Record (which I think designates vastly different frames depending on whether it was a US market bicycle or not), Europa (a European model), Raleigh Team, Team Professional - those are the ones that come to mind. I believe some also have the TI logo on the top tube.

I take it yours has a Wx2##### serial convention?

Given that you are in Wales. my guess is that you may have a continental market Team Record (which is roughly the equivalent in the hierarchy of a Raleigh Professional - though with the iconic team colors).
Old 08-09-22, 02:26 AM
Dave_B

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by USAZorro
I've seen decals on the top tube that designate the model of the bicycle.

I've seen Team Record (which I think designates vastly different frames depending on whether it was a US market bicycle or not), Europa (a European model), Raleigh Team, Team Professional - those are the ones that come to mind. I believe some also have the TI logo on the top tube.

I take it yours has a Wx2##### serial convention?

Given that you are in Wales. my guess is that you may have a continental market Team Record (which is roughly the equivalent in the hierarchy of a Raleigh Professional - though with the iconic team colors).
Thanks for the reply, really useful. My frame has the serial number WH200089, which I understand is the 'Worksop' designation although the Worksop factory closed in 1981 and "the W prefix continued to be used at the new Lightweight Unit at the main Nottingham factory." H = June, 2 = 1982.
I'd never heard of a Team Record, interesting suggestion. I looked it up and they seem to have 'Record' on the downtube? I think my frame has the original decals, although they are shabby.
Old 08-09-22, 09:07 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Oh that's a beauty! I had an '83 Competition that was similar. The biggest difference is yours has toptube tunnel guides, whereas my bike had space helmet cable stops.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-09-22, 01:58 PM
Dave_B

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
whereas my bike had space helmet cable stops.
That's cutting edge technology right there!