Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cracking rims - Trek Domane

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cracking rims - Trek Domane

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-22, 10:05 AM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
My '21 Domane has Aeoulus Pro 3v. Lifetime warranty and they have a pretty good rep as far as I can tell. I had some old paired spoke Bontrager Race Lite's as well. Never had an issues with them.

The new carbon Bonnie's have ( I think) lifetime warranties.
Likes For Rdmonster69:
Old 08-31-22, 12:13 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Agreed, just confusing semantics. Aluminum's fatigue limit is essentially zero.
Of course, bike and component manufacturers are keenly aware of aluminum's characteristics and design their products accordingly. The importance of careful design, no matter what the material, was emphasized in that famous 1997 German Tour magazine report: the one that presented the results of tests of the fatigue life of high-end steel, titanium, carbon, and aluminum frames. (Short version: several carbon fiber frames and aluminum frames came out on top. In contrast, all of the steel frames and titanium frames failed before the testing was completed.)

Interesting quote from the linked page:

What is so important about the testing this article describes? Even the testers were surprised to find that the high-quality lightweight aluminum and carbon-fiber frames they tested were more resistant to fatigue failure than heavier, high-quality steel frames. A caveat, though, is appropriate: the results hold for a frame which is ridden hard but not damaged or abused: corrosion, nicks, dents, scratches and stresses due to incorrect installation of components could alter the results, as the article itself notes.

Last edited by Trakhak; 08-31-22 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-31-22, 09:14 PM
drewguy

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Rdmonster69
My '21 Domane has Aeoulus Pro 3v. Lifetime warranty and they have a pretty good rep as far as I can tell. I had some old paired spoke Bontrager Race Lite's as well. Never had an issues with them.

The new carbon Bonnie's have ( I think) lifetime warranties.
Yes - Trek's warranty on carbon rims is lifetime for the original owner, but only first two years is replacement. After that they may repair and charge you something.