Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1982 Trek 720 advice

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1982 Trek 720 advice

Old 01-28-20, 08:59 PM
endoftheisland

Bikes: 1956 Schwinn Corvette, 1979 Schwinn Stingray, 1980 Schwinn Twinn, 1981 Brian Rourke custom, 1983 Trek 720 Touring, 1984 Trek 620 Touring, 1984 Fuji Touring IV, 1984 Fuji Touring III Pub bike conversion, 1997 Trek 520 Touring, 2017 AllCity Spacehourse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
1982 Trek 720 advice

I'm kind of a newbie and don't know much about component compatibility... I'm looking for suggestions on a 720 I'm about to restore. It's got a strange mix of components - Campagnolo headset and shifters, an Avocet crankset, 700C Weinmann rims with Suzu hubs and Huret derailleurs. I'm wondering if i should replace the Avocet crankset with Sugina RT I have. And while I love Campy components on my road bikes, the shifters seem kind of out of place. I have spare Suntour shifters I could replace them with. I've also got a nice set of Shimano M700 high flange hubs. Would they pair well with the Weinmann rims? I've heard good things about Huret derailleurs so I'm interested in sticking with those. Thoughts?

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!

Old 01-28-20, 09:30 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 188 Times in 112 Posts
Thats an '83 720, first year for canti brakes. The '82 would've used center pull Gran Compes. The crank is a nice upgrade over stock. Personally I would leave it; but I'm biased as it's the same one I run on my '83 720. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you the rear Huret derailleur is a ticking time bomb; but treat it well and don't abuse it and it'll likely be fine. Just don't pedal backward or push the bike backward unless you know the RD is aligned with the chosen gear. Otherwise you get binding and things go sour. Nice bike btw.
Old 01-28-20, 11:51 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,002 Times in 656 Posts
Nice bike, I am partial to Avocet components. They were make by Ofmega in Italy I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Regardless of who made them for Avocet they are nicely made and look great. I wouldn't change a thing. Ride the bike a bunch and see how you like everything. If there are issues, address them. If not, ride on.

I don't see a problem with mixing component sets.

You might get comments about the foam handlebar covers. Most of us don't like them. I have to admit, that when they were popular, I hated them. This was a standard upgrade in the bike shop. Now that I am more, ahem, mature, I have to admit that they do the same thing as modern tapes. For me, I would replace the foamies for some modern tape. Or Newbaum's cushioned cloth tape. They just look better.
Likes For Velo Mule:
Old 01-29-20, 08:15 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,369 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice bike, I am partial to Avocet components. They were make by Ofmega in Italy I believe. Please correct me if I'm wrong here. Regardless of who made them for Avocet they are nicely made and look great.
Yesa, the Avocet cranks were re-branded Ofmega cranks. While the inner ring mounting stand-offs are arguably not as strong as the inner ring mounts on a Sugino RT crank, the Avocet arms are forged, while the RT arms are cast.
Old 01-29-20, 08:22 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
This is all good advice. The bike is an '83 and the component group is good on this bike. Other than replacing the consumables and overhauling the bike, I wouldn't change much on that bike if it were mine. I would get rid of the bar tape, find some hoods for the brake levers, and replace the downtube levers with suntour bar end shifters. Those derailleurs are actually very good. I used them when I took my '83 Trek 720 on a cross country trip. @nesteel is right though you do not want to be careful about binding. I find that with the Huret RD on this bike, you need to let up a bit on the pedals before shifting. That's true with any RD actually but moreso with this one than with other designs. Other than that it is a fine rear derailleur that can take up unbelievable amounts of chain and does a fine job of shifting wide ranging gearing.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 01-29-20, 05:34 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by endoftheisland
I'm kind of a newbie and don't know much about component compatibility... I'm looking for suggestions on a 720 I'm about to restore. It's got a strange mix of components - Campagnolo headset and shifters, an Avocet crankset, 700C Weinmann rims with Suzu hubs and Huret derailleurs. I'm wondering if i should replace the Avocet crankset with Sugina RT I have. And while I love Campy components on my road bikes, the shifters seem kind of out of place. I have spare Suntour shifters I could replace them with. I've also got a nice set of Shimano M700 high flange hubs. Would they pair well with the Weinmann rims? I've heard good things about Huret derailleurs so I'm interested in sticking with those. Thoughts?
Why do you need to replace any of the components?
Old 01-29-20, 05:37 PM
palincss

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
This is all good advice. The bike is an '83 and the component group is good on this bike. Other than replacing the consumables and overhauling the bike, I wouldn't change much on that bike if it were mine. I would get rid of the bar tape, find some hoods for the brake levers, and replace the downtube levers with suntour bar end shifters.
I'm sure the existing shifters work fine for what they are and while I absolutely agree with you that bar end shifters would be better than downtube shifters the only reason to do so here would be if the OP (like you and i) hates downtube shifters and loves bar ends.
Old 01-29-20, 07:23 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
You have a really great bike . Depending on what you would like to do, I would suggest, like others, a set of SunTour bar end shifters and perhaps replacing the rear derailleur with a Shimano Deore, or XT, and perhaps a Shimano front derailleur. Although they shifted OK, I was never a fan of the Huret Duopar front and rear derailleurs. As noted, the Avocet crankset is of excellent quality. I am currently in the process of building up a 1984 burgundy 720 frameset into a nice touring bike-joining the many others that I already own. This one will be special.
Likes For jacksbike:
Old 01-29-20, 07:36 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
Very nice original! If all components function, I wouldn't change them. Sure there's minor quips of this or that, but that's the charm of these classics.

On that note, the Weinmann concave rims haven't been mentioned. Popular to some for their cool factor but just as many probably don't like for the hassle of water drainage, non-hooked bead and weight. I like the unique and using required wire bead tires, keeping a close monitor on air pressure is no biggie.
Old 01-29-20, 11:39 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
When that bike was new Avocet cranks would have been considerably more expensive than Sugino and considered an upgrade. They are a bit on the light side but high quality.

Campy shifters are dead reliable and shift perfectly pretty much forever. (except for the last couple years with the nylon inserts but let's forget that) No point in switching them unless you go to bar ends or something. I like duopars but I've never thought of them as super reliable. They are super cool but be cautious. Kind of like a Citroen DS.

I hated grab on grips then and hate them still, so I'd encourage you to get some new tape. Some people liked them, obviously. There were at one time a thinner version called Grab-on racing grips, which time seems to have forgotten.
Likes For Salamandrine:
Old 01-29-20, 11:56 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 483 Posts
Solid bike and solid advice! I love bar ends, so that would be my suggestion too. But if you don’t, ratcheting Suntour DT shifters would be better and more functional than the campy levers.

But ride it for a while and see how it like it as is.

Congrats on a classic!
Likes For mountaindave:
Old 01-30-20, 08:47 PM
endoftheisland

Bikes: 1956 Schwinn Corvette, 1979 Schwinn Stingray, 1980 Schwinn Twinn, 1981 Brian Rourke custom, 1983 Trek 720 Touring, 1984 Trek 620 Touring, 1984 Fuji Touring IV, 1984 Fuji Touring III Pub bike conversion, 1997 Trek 520 Touring, 2017 AllCity Spacehourse

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm curious about the feedback on the year, Everyone seems to agree that it's a 1983. Interestingly, the Vintage Trek website lists the serial number, 34327 as a 1982. Vintage Trek Bicycle Frame Serial Numbers in 1982

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Is there another source for SN data?
Old 01-30-20, 10:36 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,729 Times in 1,180 Posts
No, you're reading it right. Another anomaly, Mandela effect, timeline shift, whatever. Or maybe the BB was just struck with an SN in '82 and sat on a shelf for a year. The above-mentioned differences, at the very least the under-the-BB shift cable routing, lean toward an '83. I have a similarly mysterious 400 series, early '82 serial number (10920?), but clearly sporting the same cable routing as yours. Interestingly, and perhaps NOT coincidentally, mine also has a Tim Isaac BB shell (60TSI in my case). Maybe a number of his shells / lugsets were set aside for later builds.

Hmmm, trivia question that MIGHT shed a twinkle of light, for any "real" '83 owners following. Do the '83s that have an actual '83 SN do the cable routing with grooves and bolts like shown above? Or do they use the more commonly found plastic guide screwed into the shell? My mystery bike is cabled like the OP's; maybe that's a characteristic of the TSI shells :shrug: .
Likes For madpogue:
Old 01-31-20, 07:59 AM
endoftheisland

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Interesting comments about the Weinmann rims. I am not familiar with them. Can you elaborate on your comments about water drainage and the requirement for beaded tires? And also tire pressure? Thanks for your help and great feedback!

Old 01-31-20, 08:01 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Thanks for all the great advice. I'm curious about the feedback on the year, Everyone seems to agree that it's a 1983. Interestingly, the Vintage Trek website lists the serial number, 34327 as a 1982. Vintage Trek Bicycle Frame Serial Numbers in 1982

Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Is there another source for SN data?
Originally Posted by madpogue
No, you're reading it right. Another anomaly, Mandela effect, timeline shift, whatever. Or maybe the BB was just struck with an SN in '82 and sat on a shelf for a year. The above-mentioned differences, at the very least the under-the-BB shift cable routing, lean toward an '83. I have a similarly mysterious 400 series, early '82 serial number (10920?), but clearly sporting the same cable routing as yours. Interestingly, and perhaps NOT coincidentally, mine also has a Tim Isaac BB shell (60TSI in my case). Maybe a number of his shells / lugsets were set aside for later builds.

Hmmm, trivia question that MIGHT shed a twinkle of light, for any "real" '83 owners following. Do the '83s that have an actual '83 SN do the cable routing with grooves and bolts like shown above? Or do they use the more commonly found plastic guide screwed into the shell? My mystery bike is cabled like the OP's; maybe that's a characteristic of the TSI shells :shrug: .
Looking at the 1982 SNs- after this batch, there is ONE other 21” 720 frame built. As it’s a relatively unpopular size AND an obscenely expensive bike- it may have been built up bare like an 82, not sold, sat in Trek’s stock and then had the 83 spec braze ons added. Or it was built in 82 in preparation for the 83 model year.

Remember there are no 1985 Trek 720s- every single one of those frames were built in 84. The big cue in seeing them is the downtube decal (although there are other little differences- the DT decal is easily seen).

To that end, even though the frames are (usually) the same between the frames decaled as 84 and 85- 85s are referred to as 85s because of the decal. Additionally- as I recall, bikes built in October and later are generally built to be next year’s model. In the case of the 82 vs 83- the 83 had canti bosses- so there’s a concrete difference-

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 01-31-20, 11:02 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Interesting comments about the Weinmann rims. I am not familiar with them. Can you elaborate on your comments about water drainage and the requirement for beaded tires? And also tire pressure? Thanks for your help and great feedback!

I have not owned the concave rims but I built several wheel sets and worked on other bikes that had them. Water and dirt accumulate in the dished area and it's a pain to clean them. No experience with the bead issue but my own observation is that many of the rims have bad spots where the joint was welded and then ground down. Many times they went too far on the grinding and there's a noticeable divot that can be felt when braking.

Novel look and reportedly hella strong, but I've never been tempted to use them myself.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 01-31-20, 11:08 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I'm kind of a newbie and don't know much about component compatibility... I'm looking for suggestions on a 720 I'm about to restore...
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated!
Great bike. That's a small frame. How tall are you? That's the first question and starting point to anything else.

Assuming that the bike fits you, then I agree with others who advised removing the bar foam and replacing the downtube shifters with SunTour barcons. Any decent cork tape would do for you. Those would be my only changes at this point. And, of course, new tires.
Old 02-01-20, 10:16 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts

Those are really strong but they are hookless rims and can not handle really high pressure and folding tires very well. The concave rims were also inconsistent in the grinding of the welds. The set I have are overground creating divots that are catchy on the braking surface.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-15-20, 09:15 AM
endoftheisland

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Finished up the 1983 Trek 720

Likes For endoftheisland:
Old 05-15-20, 12:57 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
It looks like you worked through some component comparability issues and adjusted it to fit. It looks great. Five speed is plenty with the 1/2 step plus granny. If you haven't yet, read up on that. It is a kick.
Old 05-15-20, 02:47 PM
Chris_in_Miami
missing in action

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 28 Posts
Looks great, nicely done! Strangely enough, this afternoon I was browsing ebay and saw a familiar group of mismatched components: Avocet, Huret, Campagnolo!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEROTTA-NOV...8AAOSwsQJeuIwF
Likes For Chris_in_Miami:
Old 05-15-20, 03:56 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Nice build!!! I dig the Shimano cantis on there!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 05-15-20, 10:27 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts

I had a 1973 Fuji for which I had custom wheels built around 1977 when I could finally afford them. They were Campy Tipo HF 36 hole hubs with TE DB spokes and 27" concave Weinmann non-hook bead rims. I used Clement wire bead clinchers in 27x1 and 27x1 1/8 for years, having bought a decent supply. These could routinely be pumped to 90 pounds according to my Silca Pista floor pump. I rode that setup for at least 10 years. I had a hiatus from cycling for about 10 years and started riding again regularly on an off until I retired and got back into regular riding. By them my supply of Clements was gone and decent 27" tires were hard to find. I found that the tires I did find would blow off the rim at 76 pounds. IT was not until I found a set of Bontragers that I could go back to 85+ on 1 1/8 tires. I later sold that bike for a new bike so I could get 700c rims and a better frame fit as I had lost height over the years..

The concave Weinmann rims over the 35+ years I rode them only needed truing once They just never went out of round or true, even as my weight fluctuated up to Clyde level for a few years and back, and some rough road riding. I used them with Dia-Compe center and sidepulls, Mafac Racers, and Shimano 600 calipers with stock shoes or for a while the finned shoes and coolstops salmon pads. They never exhibited undue brake track wear. A lot of our riding would now be considered gravel as we rode on canal towpaths and logging trails in PA. One thing I did not do was ride in the rain. That rim used to be a 'go to' rim for tandems and touring and could be had in 40 hole and special order 48 holes using Phil Wood hubs. My wheel builder said they were not the lightest, but were one of the strongest rims out at the time. I never saw a set as OEM.

They were not a true box rim, but had two small boxed areas at the edges of the concave and had ferrules. I kept my bike clean and the rims still looked great when I left that bike go.

Hope this helps.
Likes For Bill in VA:
Old 05-16-20, 10:00 PM
mountaindave 
tantum vehi

Bikes: More than I care to admit

Quoted: 1166 Post(s)
Liked 966 Times in 483 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
...It looks great. Five speed is plenty with the 1/2 step plus granny. If you haven't yet, read up on that. It is a kick.
+1 on both. Looks like you don’t have a wide enough FW to take advantage of your half step crankset. If it’s 50/45, you will need 14-17-21-26-32 to make it work properly. It’s not easy to find, but pastorbob might be able to build one up for you. I’ve seriously considered having him make me a 6s with an added 12t sprocket.
Likes For mountaindave: