Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Maillard CXC

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Maillard CXC

Old 11-10-09, 05:56 AM
horatioeastwood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maillard CXC

Hey guys,

I am having difficulty sourcing the toe clips that come with these pedals. They are as you can see different in that they have one single bar to attach them to the pedal. Does anyone know where I might track these down?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
toeclip4.jpg (89.1 KB, 112 views)
Old 11-10-09, 07:04 AM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Keep watching out for them at eBay, specially from French sellers. These 80's pedals came with many Peugeots from the mid 80's, including my PSV.
Lots of them were taken off the bikes by their owners when the first clipless pedals (by Look) became the rave.......including me....so many of these pedals and clips, most of them with very few miles on them, fell into "junk" drawers in garages never to see daylight again till someone decides to dig them out to sell at eBay. You might not find the clips by themselves being sold but have to buy the whole pedal with clips if you do finally find them. Go for it, because you can use the pedals for spares, lest they become really impossible to find in the future.
Keep up the search and you will eventually find them.

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
85(?) Vitus Carbone 7 Plus
Old 11-10-09, 08:12 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3571 Post(s)
Liked 3,368 Times in 1,916 Posts
If you can't source them from eBay, just buy a pair of plastic clips, trim off the bottom, and drill a couple holes for the mounting bolts:

Old 11-10-09, 09:11 AM
bbllaakke

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have that exact pair. I would be willing to trade for something similar to this- https://www.flickr.com/photos/retro-r...n/photostream/

Im looking for a pedal with more of a platform and less of a ridge for slotted cleats.

PM if interested
Old 11-10-09, 05:24 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Bikes: 2014 Giant Trance

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Man... I was gonna start a thread exactly like this today, too.
I just wanna know how the freaking dustcaps come off them, mine have no grease in them and I want to fix that.
-Gene-
Old 11-10-09, 06:26 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Originally Posted by Amani576
I just wanna know how the freaking dustcaps come off them, mine have no grease in them and I want to fix that.
-Gene-
I remember trying to figure that out too, back when I had them. Looks like you might need a special wrench from Malliard, but these were considered pretty cheap pedals and like other pedals of it's ilk, (Ofmega CXs come to mind,) they're pretty much throw away components after they wear out, because if you do get to remove things like bearing caps on them, they don't seem to stay put anymore afterwards, plus many of the parts are irreplacable because they are riveted or swaged in place permanently, so when they are worn out, the whole pedal is useless. Personally, I'd uprate to a classic MKS track type compact pedal instead, like my brother did back then. Those pedals were so well built and designed that he actually remounted them on his late 80's Cannondale when he got it back on the road a couple of years ago.
JMOs

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
Old 11-10-09, 06:29 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chombi
I remember trying to figure that out...the road a couple of years ago.
JMOs

Chombi
84 Peugeot PSV
Ah, ok. I hate to do it, though. They're actually really attractive pedals. Kinda heavy, though.
I was gonna replace them with MKS GR-9's on the tandem they came off of, anyways. Maybe just keep them around for another project somewhere down the line.
-Gene-
Old 11-10-09, 08:17 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

-Gene-
Which ones? The OP's Maillard pedals, or the Ofmega Sintesis (aka "Avocet mod. III") I posted?

The Sintesis have a set screw in the middle of the cap. Drive it IN with a 3mm Allen wrench and it will push the cap off. Service the pedal, back off the set screw and pop the cap back into place. It's just a press fit; no threads.
Old 11-10-09, 08:23 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by bbllaakke
I have that exact pair. I would be willing to trade for something similar to this- https://www.flickr.com/photos/retro-r...n/photostream/

Im looking for a pedal with more of a platform and less of a ridge for slotted cleats.

PM if interested
The Lyotard mod. 23s still have a ridge for a slotted cleat; if you ride with soft soled shoes it may bother you. White Industries recently introduced a copy of the mod. 23 using sealed bearings and lacking this ridge, but it ain't cheap:

Old 11-10-09, 08:35 PM
bbllaakke

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, Giant Cadex, Waterford X-11, Specialized Rockhopper Comp FS, Viscount Aerospace Pro, Scwinn Passage

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ Awesome pedals but $235?!?
Old 11-10-09, 08:58 PM
Amani576
Buh'wah?!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Which ones? The OP's Maillard pedals, or the Ofmega Sintesis (aka "Avocet mod. III") I posted?

The Sintesis have a set screw in the middle of the cap. Drive it IN with a 3mm Allen wrench and it will push the cap off. Service the pedal, back off the set screw and pop the cap back into place. It's just a press fit; no threads.
I was talking about the Maillard CxC's. They have a solid, tightly sealed, steel dome dustcap. If it were the Sintesis pedals you mention I wouldn't even ask.

That's just rust pitting on those caps.
-Gene-
Old 11-11-09, 03:09 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

I was talking about the Maillard CxC's. They have a solid, tightly sealed, steel dome dustcap. If it were the Sintesis pedals you mention I wouldn't even ask.

That's just rust pitting on those caps.
-Gene-
Some of the later production Maillard pedals had "no user servicable parts inside." I suspect this is one such model.
Old 11-12-09, 03:57 PM
prettyshady

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only found one spare toe clip, if thats any help?
Old 11-13-09, 02:51 AM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
-Gene-
Make that two of us. My girlfriend's bike has a pair of these pedals on it and the left one is in dire need of an overhaul.

If anyone can figure out a non-destructive method of getting the dustcap off, PLEASE DO TELL!
Old 11-13-09, 10:18 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by Antipodes
Make that two of us. My girlfriend's bike has a pair of these pedals on it and the left one is in dire need of an overhaul.

If anyone can figure out a non-destructive method of getting the dustcap off, PLEASE DO TELL!
I had another model of Maillard late production pedals that had no obvious means of removing the dustcap. I tried to service one of them and managed to remove the cap, but even with the cap removed there was no means of servicing the bearings. I suspect you will have to replace the pedals if the bearings are not acceptable.
Old 11-14-09, 11:36 AM
Chombi

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I had another model of Maillard late production pedals that had no obvious means of removing the dustcap. I tried to service one of them and managed to remove the cap, but even with the cap removed there was no means of servicing the bearings. I suspect you will have to replace the pedals if the bearings are not acceptable.
It's French! What does everyone expect??! That's why it's "fun" dealing with French bikes and components. It's always a mystery what they were thinking when they were "on the boards" designing this stuff!
As I mentiond before, these CXC pedals from Malliard are "disposable" pedals that you use and replace when worn out. "Non-user servicable parts" is a good way to put it.

84 Peugeot PSV
85(?) Vitus Carbone Plus 7
My two mysterious French Mistresses??