Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is half wheeling dangerous?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-28-21, 06:53 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts

Can someone cue me into why half wheeling is frowned upon? I heard the term a while ago and thought it meant overlapping wheels/not protecting your front wheel, but now I understand that its more about persistently upping the pace when next to someone. To me this sounds fine and not dangerous. in the group I ride with, if someone pushes the pace on an easy day the other riders let them go and blow themselves up. Is half wheeling somehow inherently dangerous, or is it just something that can disrupt an organized pace line
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 08-28-21, 07:03 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,849 Times in 6,066 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Can someone cue me into why half wheeling is frowned upon? I heard the term a while ago and thought it meant overlapping wheels/not protecting your front wheel, but now I understand that its more about persistently upping the pace when next to someone. To me this sounds fine and not dangerous. in the group I ride with, if someone pushes the pace on an easy day the other riders let them go and blow themselves up. Is half wheeling somehow inherently dangerous, or is it just something that can disrupt an organized pace line
It's a dick move. You're pretending you want to ride WITH somebody, but then you actually ride AGAINST them. Not every ride is a race.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-28-21, 07:31 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Agreed. It’s a sign that a rider can’t or won’t ride at the group speed. If you feel strong then go to the front and pull all day, but half wheeling is a jerk move.
Old 08-28-21, 09:33 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2561 Post(s)
Liked 5,594 Times in 2,903 Posts
+1

Old 08-28-21, 10:19 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
This is why I drink ride alone.
Old 08-28-21, 10:25 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Yeah, I think it’s a dick move, too, although not because it pushes the pace, but rather because it makes it hard and unsafe for the person on the front to pull off and drop back, and because yes, it’s inherently dangerous because it creates the overlapping wheel situation wherein the person out front may not be aware that the person behind is doing it, so it’s a dick move for creating an unnecessary risk to everyone in the group.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 08-28-21, 10:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,986 Times in 4,452 Posts
Whether something is dangerous or not depends on who is doing it and who they're doing it to.

Half-wheeling is not dangerous by itself.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-21, 04:22 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Whether something is dangerous or not depends on who is doing it and who they're doing it to.

Half-wheeling is not dangerous by itself.

To a point, I would agree with this IF one is riding with others they have ridden with, and know and trust both their own, and the others bike handling skills and equipment. Realistically, anytime one is riding along with others like that, the odds of something bad happening is increased. The higher the number of riders and bikes involved, the higher the increase. That is just common sense. Accidents and mistakes happen to the best. I would likely ask the rider, maybe more than ask, to drop back or get to the front. However, I rarely ride others, and if I was, I would not do that to someone else.

Last edited by delbiker1; 08-29-21 at 04:27 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 08-29-21, 07:06 AM
big john

Originally Posted by delbiker1
To a point, I would agree with this IF one is riding with others they have ridden with, and know and trust both their own, and the others bike handling skills and equipment. Realistically, anytime one is riding along with others like that, the odds of something bad happening is increased. The higher the number of riders and bikes involved, the higher the increase. That is just common sense. Accidents and mistakes happen to the best. I would likely ask the rider, maybe more than ask, to drop back or get to the front. However, I rarely ride others, and if I was, I would not do that to someone else.
Again, much of the element of danger is due to the skills of the riders involved. I feel safer in a group of 25 skilled riders than in a group of 5 Bozos.
Of course, 1 Bozo can ruin the harmony of a group.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-21, 08:10 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
big john , I absolutely agree with feeling of riding with the 25 skilled vs 5 Bozos. I could not count the times I politely begged off from riding with others because I knew there lack of experience and/or style of riding would make for an uncomfortable ride for me. To me, in that situation, honesty with oneself and the others is best. I believe I am not being a critic or elitist, it's reality
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 08-29-21, 08:18 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
Half wheeling drives me insane, something happens like a dog running out or whatever and you're not only thinking about the dog, but whether you're going have an accident from hitting that stupid wheel that is stopping you from swerving. Possibly the worst habit you can have while riding with somebody else.
Old 08-29-21, 09:07 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I would put it like this.

If you were riding an event or competition with other like skilled individuals that would expect riders to be taking advantage where they can....that's one thing.
In a group or recreational ride, and particularly when riding out on 'the road' where unexpected situations can arise, such as animal, trash in the road, and such, it leads to very dangerous situations and people can readily end up hurt outside that expectation.

I wouldn't do it. I don't do it.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-29-21, 09:10 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
This is why I drink ride alone.
Some years ago now, I learned that riding alone and/or with a very limited group or just one other individual is what I prefer as well. I rode with a club for several years that were a great group of people in the parking lot and at the feed afterward. They always wanted to act like this club rides were some kind of race and dumb **** happened all the time. I overlooked a lot of it early on as both not knowing better as well as just the excitement of the experience. It took two major events to happen where people went to the hospital where I realized that I wasn't being "safety in numbers", I was actually increasing my risk riding with these folks.

Unfortunate side effect to consider is that my fitness level declined significantly without the pressure and push to perform.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 08-29-21, 11:33 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 579 Times in 437 Posts
Again, much of the element of danger is due to the skills of the riders involved. I feel safer in a group of 25 skilled riders than in a group of 5 Bozos.
Of course, 1 Bozo can ruin the harmony of a group.
+1. A chain is as strong as its weakest link
Old 08-29-21, 11:57 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,791 Times in 3,305 Posts
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but if you are overlapping the wheel of the person in front of you aren't you limiting their ability to move in that direction if for some reason, real or imagined, that they need to?
Old 08-29-21, 12:35 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Iride01
Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you mean, but if you are overlapping the wheel of the person in front of you aren't you limiting their ability to move in that direction if for some reason, real or imagined, that they need to?
Half-wheeling refers to the annoying habit of some riders to constantly try to bump up the speed of a ride. If you are riding alongside another rider and that rider keeps pushing ahead, like a half wheel at a time.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-21, 12:44 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Some years ago now, I learned that riding alone and/or with a very limited group or just one other individual is what I prefer as well. I rode with a club for several years that were a great group of people in the parking lot and at the feed afterward. They always wanted to act like this club rides were some kind of race and dumb **** happened all the time. I overlooked a lot of it early on as both not knowing better as well as just the excitement of the experience. It took two major events to happen where people went to the hospital where I realized that I wasn't being "safety in numbers", I was actually increasing my risk riding with these folks.

Unfortunate side effect to consider is that my fitness level declined significantly without the pressure and push to perform.
A key to enjoying group rides is finding the right group. When you do, it's waaayy better than always riding alone. Riding alone is ok but riding with friends adds so much.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-29-21, 01:14 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Agree it’s a total French Shower move. It’s not dangerous per se but very disruptive. Don’t do it.
Old 08-29-21, 01:42 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
These people are just jealous because you're going and fit, Larry. Nobody likes losing a race group ride to a guy in a dress.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 08-29-21, 02:22 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by seattle forrest
nobody likes losing a group ride his girlfriend to a guy in a dress on a hybrid.
ftfy
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-29-21, 05:01 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I’d vomit all over my Rapha Jersey if I caught someone in a tank top on a hybrid half wheeling me.
Likes For Ghazmh:
Old 08-29-21, 05:07 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It's dangerous because it could lead to the half wheeler getting the Cinzano treatment.
Likes For seypat:
Old 08-29-21, 09:18 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Half-wheelers are no different than cyclists who accelerate when they reach the front of a rotating pace line. Just let them go -- they'll figure it out after they find themselves alone a few times.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-29-21, 09:46 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
It's dangerous because it could lead to the half wheeler getting the Cinzano treatment.
LOL !!!!
a better move, wait until any steep upgrade, then slap both downtube shifters, on their bike, full forward ... total NYC move... LOL!
...Dang! how do we do that with Brifters.. ?
Old 08-29-21, 09:47 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,697 Times in 1,026 Posts
Half-wheeling refers to the annoying habit of some riders to constantly try to bump up the speed of a ride. If you are riding alongside another rider and that rider keeps pushing ahead, like a half wheel at a time.
I don’t understand this element of the use of the term, “half-wheeling.”

I think we share the same basic understanding that half-wheeling involves a follwing rider overlapping their front wheel with the back half of the leading rider’s rear wheel, no?

What I don’t get is how this behavior “pushes the pace,” particularly because, by definition, the following rider is behind and therefor out of sight of the leading rider who then cannot— or usually does not— have awareness that half-wheeling is happening. That’s what makes it dangerous, but also why I don’t get how someone could feel pushed by behavior they’re unaware of.

I suppose if the following rider was far enough away from the leading rider that the leading rider could catch them in their peripheral vision or with a head check then they’d be aware and the situation far less dangerous. However, as the leading rider, it’s their main role to set the pace, and if someone were coming up way out on my left— and I’m speaking personally now— I’d assume they’re either going to overtake or they misjudged their speed and are trying to bleed some off in the wind rather than by braking. If they don’t overtake, then I’m inferring my pace is fine.

And that’s how I’ve always seen it to work around here, too, with any of the groups I’ve ridden with. In my club, we ride fast pacelines and definitely have some members who are either uncomfortable in the draft or are just arseholes who ride out in the fallback line, often halfway alongside if not half-wheeling their leading rider. I have never noticed, in all the years, that he behavior causes the speeds to lift, nor have I heard complaints that anyone felt uncomfortably pressured by the behavior, so I wonder if I’m misunderstanding how you’re describing “half-wheeling.”
Likes For chaadster:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.