Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hollowtech to Square Taper Conversion

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-19-22, 12:10 AM
kida5887

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm trying to convert my hollowtech bb/crankset (Deore M590) to a velo orange triple with a square taper on my 2016 Salsa Marrakesh. I'm having some trouble finding the right information about spindle length for the new square tapered bb. I emailed Salsa and they recommended the 124mm based upon Velo Orange's "recommendation," but it's too narrow, causing my front derailleur to be unable to shift into the lowest cog and to push way out beyond the largest cog and even hit the crank arms while pedaling. I tried shimming the tapers with some bits of beer can, but it's still too narrow.

Any thoughts on the best way to calculate the appropriate spindle length before I buy a new one? Should I just measure the Hollowtech spindle? I've noticed that the crank arms on the Hollowtech have a few degrees of outward flare, but the VO crank arms are at or near 90 degrees. This doesn't create a noticeable difference in feel, so I'm really only concerned about clearance and making the front derailleur line up with the chainrings. The most common BB spindle length after 124 is 127/127.5, but I'm not sure if that will be enough. I saw that Phil's hubs have some longer spindles, but I obviously don't want to go too long either.
Old 04-19-22, 01:25 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 311 Posts
Did you replace the front derailleur with a FD made for triples?
Old 04-19-22, 01:28 AM
kida5887

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tFUnK
Did you replace the front derailleur with a FD made for triples?
The FD is made for a triple. The original crankset is a triple Shimano M590 hollowtech.
Likes For kida5887:
Old 04-19-22, 03:38 AM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Liked 681 Times in 438 Posts
You always start with getting the chainline correct, which I think should be 45mm on that bike. Then adjust the front derailleur appropriately. It sounds like you're approaching it backwards, trying to make the new crankset match up to where your derailleur is currently adjusted.

It's unclear where you are in the process. Did you already install the square taper BB and new crankset? If so, you can measure how far off your chainline is and that will tell you whether you need a different size BB and by how much. Once you get the chainline correct, the rest is gravy. Read up:

All About Bicycle Chainline
Old 04-19-22, 04:44 AM
mprince
Dont fix whats not broken

Bikes: Steelman Stage Race, Dura-Ace 9s

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 166 Times in 93 Posts
Did you adjust the limit screws on the front derailleur? That will adjust it's "swing", but as others have mentioned it sounds like your chainline has moved far inward. A few measurements from center of seat tube to the center ring should show how much inward it has moved, that will tell you how much more spindle length you need.

And the beer can shims were a bad idea, sounds like a good way to damage the tapers on the new crank.
Likes For mprince:
Old 04-19-22, 08:11 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
What I would do is put the chain on the middle ring and see what cog gets the chain perpendicular to the cassette/crank. It should be about in the center of the cassette. If it is more inward than center you can move the crank out by the amount it is inward from center.

While still in the middle chainring, shift to the lowest cog. Loosen the FD cable, and turn the low limit screw out. Check the gap between the inner cage plate and the chain. Now place the chain on the inner chainring. The chain will probably be against the inner cage plate.

What you are trying to do is determine how much more outboard the crank needs to go to give you a better chainline and be able to shift in the the inner chainring and have cage clearance in the lowest cog.

If the chainline is good, you’ll need to swap out your FD with one that will give more inboard movement. Sometimes this is not an easy task with mtb shifters.

John
Old 04-19-22, 09:50 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,809 Times in 1,534 Posts
you may have to adjust the front derailler height and twist especially if your new crankset has larger rings

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eur-adjustment

Old 04-19-22, 10:18 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
You asked Salsa, but did you ask Velo Orange? BB spindle lengths are crankset-specific, not frame-specific (assuming the BB is correct for that BB shell).
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-19-22, 11:15 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
^^^ what he said, but more so. It's a road crank. You need 5mm more spindle length to get it out to MTB-triple chain line to match your MTB-standard crank and derailleur and frame.

It might also not be compatible with indexing, if you are doing indexing. Some old style replica cranks have their rings spaced much closer together than a standard MTB triple. If you have the barcons with ratchets it's going to be ok, if you have the flat bar version with a trigger shifter you may have trouble. That would also require you to bring in the limit screws.

That just covers the chain line. You might need some luck with the crank clearance too. The touring bike came with a MTB crank for a reason, you need the width to have clearance within the chain stays for big tires and their fenders.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 04-19-22, 05:17 PM
kida5887

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Cool, thanks everyone. I think I've got what I need after measuring the chain line. I'm using friction shifters, so I shouldn't have any issues with indexing. I just need a spindle that sits out a little further.