Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Hub is silent

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear Hub is silent

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-22, 12:22 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Rear Hub is silent

Took out my new craiglist bike GT Aero edge very cool has origin 8 hubs rims not bad but noticed zero noise no clicking.
so wondering since my othet stuff. shimano mavic. rolph all make nice sound...
is the quiet a sign of a problem?
Old 04-26-22, 01:25 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
The last one I saw was nearly as loud as an I9. Your posts are pretty hard to read.
Old 04-26-22, 02:31 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
The last one I saw was nearly as loud as an I9. Your posts are pretty hard to read.
must be ur low iq
just saying.
Old 04-26-22, 02:42 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Someone slipped you a sprague
Old 04-26-22, 03:23 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
no problem. origin 8. not make nice sound
Old 04-26-22, 03:25 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Someone slipped you a sprague
Doubt it. Origin 8 are basic aftermarket, bargain hubs. Didn't see a sprague freehub in their lineup after a quick look. Perhaps I missed it. I wouldn't trust them to make a reliable sprague clutch freehub. Even Shimano pulled the plug on theirs over a decade ago after defects. Only Onyx has had success with theirs. That said, a lot of pawl freehubs can be pretty quiet. Add several years of age and dried/fouled lube and that may make them quieter. Or perhaps the previous owner had a penchant for quiet freewheeling hubs and greased the pawls/innards. Phil Wood used to market a freewheel grease injector to do the very same thing. Problem is, grease is too viscous for most freewheel/hub pawl systems, which prevents full pawl engagement. This leads to slipping and failure, so use of this tool was discouraged. So a silent pawl freehub is a symptom of something wrong and should be remedied.

So I'm assuming the freehub body & pawls are either packed with grease and/or fouled. If the OP wants the rear wheel to be reliable, he'd be best to overhaul it and lubricate the pawls with appropriate lube. Most medium oils are good, Slickoleum greaese or maybe Chris King RingDrive lube. Oil or Slickoleum would be my choice. Leaving it will lead to damage and/or failure of the pawls or engagement ring.

PS By happenstance, I just had to service two new Ibis rear hubs. Mine skipped from day one (I may request a warranty) and I discovered why: the dust seal protecting the pawls dislodges and ends up riding against the cassette, leaving the pawls open to the environment. Mine were very dirty after 10 months of riding and 800 miles. When pulling it apart, LOTS of metal shavings were in the fouled lube. So I cleaned it up and lubed with light oil. Then I noticed my son's Ibis rear hub had the same problem. So I did the same to his. Luckily, his had no damage. After cleaning it up, I lubed with Slickoleum and found it to be an excellent choice.

I glued the dust seal to the hubshell to prevent it coming loose. So far, so good.

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 04-26-22 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-27-22, 10:53 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Doubt it. Origin 8 are basic aftermarket, bargain hubs. Didn't see a sprague freehub in their lineup after a quick look. Perhaps I missed it. I wouldn't trust them to make a reliable sprague clutch freehub. Even Shimano pulled the plug on theirs over a decade ago after defects. Only Onyx has had success with theirs. That said, a lot of pawl freehubs can be pretty quiet. Add several years of age and dried/fouled lube and that may make them quieter. Or perhaps the previous owner had a penchant for quiet freewheeling hubs and greased the pawls/innards. Phil Wood used to market a freewheel grease injector to do the very same thing. Problem is, grease is too viscous for most freewheel/hub pawl systems, which prevents full pawl engagement. This leads to slipping and failure, so use of this tool was discouraged. So a silent pawl freehub is a symptom of something wrong and should be remedied.

So I'm assuming the freehub body & pawls are either packed with grease and/or fouled. If the OP wants the rear wheel to be reliable, he'd be best to overhaul it and lubricate the pawls with appropriate lube. Most medium oils are good, Slickoleum greaese or maybe Chris King RingDrive lube. Oil or Slickoleum would be my choice. Leaving it will lead to damage and/or failure of the pawls or engagement ring.

PS By happenstance, I just had to service two new Ibis rear hubs. Mine skipped from day one (I may request a warranty) and I discovered why: the dust seal protecting the pawls dislodges and ends up riding against the cassette, leaving the pawls open to the environment. Mine were very dirty after 10 months of riding and 800 miles. When pulling it apart, LOTS of metal shavings were in the fouled lube. So I cleaned it up and lubed with light oil. Then I noticed my son's Ibis rear hub had the same problem. So I did the same to his. Luckily, his had no damage. After cleaning it up, I lubed with Slickoleum and found it to be an excellent choice.

I glued the dust seal to the hubshell to prevent it coming loose. So far, so good.
Hey thanks for the information. 1st ride went well no issues smooth but quiet. I will take a peek to see if I can clean and lube it up. They looks like newish wheels but I do not know as they came on the bike and look new.
Old 04-27-22, 11:22 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,990 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by thehammerdog
must be ur low iq
just saying.
"ur low iq" WHAT? Did you actually mean to say your? Is typing the "y" and "o" just to difficult when you are insulting people?

Some hubs are quieter than others some hubs are packed full of grease which quiets them down who the heck knows about whatever random part you have. Does it matter, no not really, yes high engagement hubs which tend to be louder can be handy for some people but generally your casual cyclist not so much.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-27-22, 11:27 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
If you put a dab of grease behind Shimano freehubs during assembly, it will make them much quieter, and so far I haven't noted any ill effects.

For external pawl freehubs, I probably wouldn't specifically grease the pawls.

I can't say what kid of pawls the OP's hubs use.
Old 04-27-22, 12:20 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
My Ultegra freeehub was dead silent when I first got it. It started clicking after a ride or two.
Old 04-27-22, 02:05 PM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by veganbikes
"ur low iq" WHAT? Did you actually mean to say your? Is typing the "y" and "o" just to difficult when you are insulting people?

Some hubs are quieter than others some hubs are packed full of grease which quiets them down who the heck knows about whatever random part you have. Does it matter, no not really, yes high engagement hubs which tend to be louder can be handy for some people but generally your casual cyclist not so much.
To repeat what I posted in my original post. I never had a Totally silent hub before most very load indeed so I am simply curious if it is a sign of a problem. Did ride well and the quiet riding bike is cool as I enjoyed it very much stealthy,
Most of my posting is via the phone so it is difficult to be very wordy and articulate but this is not English & Grammer class so go with it people.
Thanks
Old 04-27-22, 02:35 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
My LX 10sp freehub is dead silent, even after 9 years.
Old 04-27-22, 03:06 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
must be ur low iq
just saying.
That's some funny **** right there.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-27-22, 03:31 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
Quiet is good, loud freehubs don’t save lives.
Old 04-27-22, 03:58 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If it was a bad sign that it is quiet, would you replace it before it started giving you issues?

Some are loud, some are quiet. I prefer the quiet ones. Though I'm putting up with a noisy one for the time being.
Old 04-27-22, 05:02 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Campy is noisy.
Old 04-27-22, 06:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
if u pedal and bike go no worry. if u pedal and bike no go worry.
Old 04-27-22, 07:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
If it is an external pawl freehub, then they often come apart very easily. And, it wouldn't hurt to clean it and run it dry.

If it is an internal pawl freehub, then just use it and don't worry.

Or... go by the theory... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 04-27-22, 07:21 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I owned a couple of bikes that were dead silent. I was told by my local bike shop that the bikes were former police bikes, and were equipped with silent hubs, so you. can't here the cops sneaking up on you.
Old 04-27-22, 07:23 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3511 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
Originally Posted by Ptcycles
I owned a couple of bikes that were dead silent. I was told by my local bike shop that the bikes were former police bikes, and were equipped with silent hubs, so you. can't here the cops sneaking up on you.
You believed that?
Old 04-27-22, 07:55 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I live 2 blocks from the police station. All of the bikes are silent. Now you can be a believer too.
Old 04-27-22, 10:17 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

To repeat what I posted in my original post. I never had a Totally silent hub before most very load indeed so I am simply curious if it is a sign of a problem. Did ride well and the quiet riding bike is cool as I enjoyed it very much stealthy,
Most of my posting is via the phone so it is difficult to be very wordy and articulate but this is not English & Grammer class so go with it people.
Thanks
Sorry but the phone thing is not a great excuse unless you don't know how to read before posting. Plus most phones are pretty good at spell checking to the point you have to actually try hard to misspell something. Your post doesn't make sense "most very load indeed"? You don't have to have the best spelling and grammar but you have to make it understandable. Telling someone "must be ur low iq just saying." because they couldn't understand your post because it didn't make sense well just is not right at all. You cannot make fun of someone's intelligence and completely butcher the spelling and grammar and continue doing so and then blame the phone.

I get it phones are hard to type on but I manage to do it frequently and my phone is not a large phone and not a new phone and I do have large fingers. I have written poems, emails, long texts and letters without much problem. If I were posting on a forum and having trouble I would probably note it in my signature, a lot of folks do that the email app on my phone even has that already written just in case. Having posts that are hard to read and then attacking people over noticing they are hard to read doesn't bode well for you.

You want help we can help you just read your posts before they go out and correct any issues or have a friend read them first or at least put a disclaimer.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 04-28-22, 03:51 AM
thehammerdog

Originally Posted by veganbikes
Sorry but the phone thing is not a great excuse unless you don't know how to read before posting. Plus most phones are pretty good at spell checking to the point you have to actually try hard to misspell something. Your post doesn't make sense "most very load indeed"? You don't have to have the best spelling and grammar but you have to make it understandable. Telling someone "must be ur low iq just saying." because they couldn't understand your post because it didn't make sense well just is not right at all. You cannot make fun of someone's intelligence and completely butcher the spelling and grammar and continue doing so and then blame the phone.

I get it phones are hard to type on but I manage to do it frequently and my phone is not a large phone and not a new phone and I do have large fingers. I have written poems, emails, long texts and letters without much problem. If I were posting on a forum and having trouble I would probably note it in my signature, a lot of folks do that the email app on my phone even has that already written just in case. Having posts that are hard to read and then attacking people over noticing they are hard to read doesn't bode well for you.

You want help we can help you just read your posts before they go out and correct any issues or have a friend read them first or at least put a disclaimer.
omg.it is now so very clear sir uptight know it all pompous joey is naturally a vegan. The highest level of humanoid.
why who else has the bawls to critique others on a bike forum with such long windedness.as if what he thinks matters.
bravo sir....bravo.
Old 04-28-22, 10:08 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

omg.it is now so very clear sir uptight know it all pompous joey is naturally a vegan. The highest level of humanoid.
why who else has the bawls to critique others on a bike forum with such long windedness.as if what he thinks matters.
bravo sir....bravo.
What the heck, dude? Did you want help or did you want to continue posting stuff people can't understand and then personally attacking them for not understanding? Reading this it seems like you want to be combative so you don't want the help so why not just go to Trollheim and fight there and leave the bike forums to those interested in talking bikes? Instead of saying "Oh I am sorry let me try and explain my post so I can get help" it was a poorly written attack on another poster and then blaming it on a device that helps with spelling and sometimes grammar to a degree. Now it is further attacks nothing to do with silent or loud hubs, nothing to explain what you are trying to say.

What does "Most very load indeed" actually mean, assuming you actually wanted help?

Yes I do write longer posts, what is your actual point on that front? Plenty of people have longer posts do you have trouble reading them, should I reformat them? Would you like a TLR or a simple English summary or something like that? If you have trouble reading my stuff I would love to improve on that front. I try to cut stuff down but I do end up writing long posts sometimes. I am just not good at the short stuff. Maybe it was being in school and having to write long essays, I don't know but if I can help someone with different abilities read my posts better I would love to try and improve on that front.

I understand that fights can be fun, you can get out anger and frustration and just be silly. However doing it over someone saying your posts are hard to read just isn't warranted and blaming devices and things other than yourself just don't help.
Old 04-28-22, 11:42 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
Really?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.