Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

helmet

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-22, 06:33 PM
freesafety22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
helmet

i'm looking at buying a smith network yellow helmet (that apparently is the older color) for $160. i pretty much hit a local bike shop that has some models and it fit best.
is rhere some grind better or a little sexier or safer?
i've got a litespeed appalachian and i need a new helmet.
thanks for any advice or links or pics!
Old 05-24-22, 05:32 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I like the POC helmets for just one reason, the vents are all big enough that you can stick a finger in and scratch any part of your head. My previous helmet was advertised as having 36 vents, but to put that many in they were all small and some so small you could barely fit in a pencil; scratching your head was near impossible! Are the vents that big on the Smith?
Old 05-25-22, 02:07 AM
mjbike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a TroyLee MTB helmet which I like and I have also used for gravel riding.
My Giro Helios Spherical MIPS road bike helmet is also used for gravel, both are comfortable. I prefer the road bike helmet and mostly use the MTB helmet only for MTB trails I got the MTB helmet first and have never had problems using it.
The Giro was about 160 Euros when I bought it online, so might be similar in dollars.
Old 05-25-22, 10:42 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
If the Smith you are looking at is size large, then look at- https://www.excelsports.com/smith-ne...BoCz6gQAvD_BwE

Whatever helmet fits best is the best one for you. I could list a dozen nice quality helmets, but they may not fit well. Smith is a well established brand and the Network is an established model.
The Koroyd used in Smith helmets is reportedly not great for ventilation, but thats specific to a person and hardly a universal opinion.
Old 05-26-22, 01:11 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Buy a helmet that fits, that YOU like the looks of, and you can afford. Nothing else matters.
Old 05-26-22, 05:08 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
I would not get a Smith for gravel riding if you ride in messy conditions, because cleaning out those little tubes would be an extra PITA. Like, if you do group rides in the rain, no way on designs like Smith, Trek Wavecell, etc. Maybe I’m lazy, but I do like keeping my stuff tidy, so I weight stuff like ease of maintenance (cleaning) in purchase decisions.