Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stuck SeatPost

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stuck SeatPost

Old 03-01-21, 05:09 PM
Jakehodgi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Stuck SeatPost

I've glued my seatpost into my bike, it kept slipping and this put a huge stop to it, unfortunately i glued it in to low lol. Dunno what glue i used tbh but it was some top tier industrial stuff.

Tried googling and youtubing it but not seen anything, anyone got any tips to get it out? It's full carbon

I'm thinking boiling hot water once i take the clamp out or some kind of liquid but not sure which kind.

Thanks,
Jake
Old 03-01-21, 05:29 PM
bikeaddiction1

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 50 Posts
If the post is slipping something else is wrong and you need to use carbon assembly paste.

Now that it is glued you will have trouble using enough heat to soften the adhesive without damaging the frame and / or post.

Last edited by bikeaddiction1; 03-01-21 at 05:34 PM.
Likes For bikeaddiction1:
Old 03-01-21, 05:36 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakehodgi
I've glued my seatpost into my bike, it kept slipping and this put a huge stop to it, unfortunately i glued it in to low lol. Dunno what glue i used tbh but it was some top tier industrial stuff.

Tried googling and youtubing it but not seen anything, anyone got any tips to get it out? It's full carbon

I'm thinking boiling hot water once i take the clamp out or some kind of liquid but not sure which kind.

Thanks,
Jake
I'm tempted to say "throw yourself on the mercy of a decent carbon repair shop and hope that they have some ideas". If the frame was metal, you could probably section it out with a hacksaw blade (and that may still be the way to go), but it's going to be really difficult to avoid cutting through into the seat tube. Since you don't know what sort of glue you used, it's hard to know how best to dissolve it. Can you narrow the glue selection down? Even if you get the possibilities down to a few, you can investigate how each one may be addressed and try each solution out.
Could you cut off the top of the existing seat post and glue a suitably-sized, larger diameter post down over the stump?

Last edited by Litespud; 03-01-21 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-01-21, 05:43 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
might be able to feed hot[ish] soapy water in the center of the seat post, & after a few minutes grab hold of the seat post with some vice grips. As you try to spin the post, give the post a few blows from a deadblow hammer. Keep feeding that soapy, almost hot, water.
Old 03-01-21, 05:53 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 835 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 741 Posts
Are both the seatpost and frame CF or is the frame metal and which metal? If you have any idea of what type of glue, epoxy, silicone, etc., that can also narrow it down as to how to take this on.
Old 03-01-21, 07:37 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Sell the bike to someone shorter.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 03-01-21, 09:04 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Ya did what now? Glue? Oy vey! A good lesson for all don't use glue on your bike. Use the correct stuff, grease, carbon paste, anti seize, threadlocker or proper size and torque and stuff.

With no info on the bike or what seatpost was used it is tough to really give you any useful advice. CA glue does have removal solutions but it may cause issues with your frame.
Old 03-01-21, 10:40 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Glue? GLUE?!!! I got nothin', except to reiterate that, next time, there are better solutions.
Old 03-01-21, 11:24 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
I feel your pain. One time I spot welded my seat post to the downtube. Made adjustment tough. At least I thought ahead and planned to use a grinder.
Good luck
Old 03-01-21, 11:30 PM
Ptcycles

Bikes: 73 Schwinn Continental, (my first), 1993 Nobelette, Cannondale 500,Team Fugi, Raleigh Supercourse, Raleigh Gran Sport, 1976 Krystal, Tsunami, Giant Boulder SE, Series 30 Paramount, Scott Unitrack, As long as I have room the Hoard will grow...

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 15 Posts
Don't feel bad, I spot welded my seat post to my sea tube, and all I had was a cutting torch!
Old 03-02-21, 05:41 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
I swear, if it was gorilla glue, even after all the recent poorly executed uses involving it....

Originally Posted by Ptcycles
I feel your pain. One time I spot welded my seat post to the downtube. Made adjustment tough. At least I thought ahead and planned to use a grinder.
Good luck
Originally Posted by Ptcycles
Don't feel bad, I spot welded my seat post to my sea tube, and all I had was a cutting torch!
Which was it?

Whatever you do, don't try spot welding CF together.
Old 03-02-21, 05:58 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
Find a saddle with taller rails. That post is never coming out.
Old 03-02-21, 06:37 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
The greatest risk in trying to remove such a post is surely not failing or succeeding, but in only partly succeeding
Likes For Geepig: