Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

changing chainrings

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

changing chainrings

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-21, 01:13 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
So, this talk about 140rpm at the cranks is ridiculous. Sure, some riders will do it for short periods of time (sprinting, or just because, I guess), but most of us (pros included) are spinning between 80-100 for most of any ride. So, to Larry's implications that "50x11 at 140 rpm is like 50 mph" is just a distraction. If we are going to do real talk about gearing and rpms, lets bound it by the "normal" ranges that we are riding in...which 140 is clearly outside of.
That's fine, as long as we talk about the "normal" speeds as well. Even at 100 rpm, a 50x11 is about 37 mph, faster than most of us (pros included) sustain on the flats. I think that's why these topics get such strong responses like those from LarrySellerz , because anyone who says they're spinning out on that gear on the flats is either fooling with us, or has horribly improper form and could use some help.
FWIW here is Hirschi spinning around 120 rpm (for short periods of time). He's not asking for a bigger chainring.
And here's a good clip explaining why pros don't bother pedaling much at that point anyway.

But I digress, if someone wants to pedal 60 rpm on the flats, let them throw a 53 on. As long as they have healthy joints and aren't trying to win a race, it should be fine.
Old 11-29-21, 07:57 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That's fine, as long as we talk about the "normal" speeds as well. Even at 100 rpm, a 50x11 is about 37 mph, faster than most of us (pros included) sustain on the flats. I think that's why these topics get such strong responses like those from LarrySellerz , because anyone who says they're spinning out on that gear on the flats is either fooling with us, or has horribly improper form and could use some help.
FWIW here is Hirschi spinning around 120 rpm (for short periods of time). He's not asking for a bigger chainring. https://youtu.be/Uot32nsQNn0
And here's a good clip explaining why pros don't bother pedaling much at that point anyway. https://youtu.be/zojjIghKQoM

But I digress, if someone wants to pedal 60 rpm on the flats, let them throw a 53 on. As long as they have healthy joints and aren't trying to win a race, it should be fine.
There's always more to it than that. I generate a lot of heat during physical activities. The lower cadence/bigger gear will produce less heat buildup than the higher cadence/smaller gear.(at least for me) I took a bike to the HotterNHell 100 earlier this year with high gears specifically for that reason. Averaged 69rpm for the ride. Still got too hot and abandoned with 3 miles left. Trying to spin along through that heat/wind at a higher cadence would have put me out a lot sooner.
Old 11-29-21, 08:27 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by seypat
There's always more to it than that. I generate a lot of heat during physical activities. The lower cadence/bigger gear will produce less heat buildup than the higher cadence/smaller gear.(at least for me) I took a bike to the HotterNHell 100 earlier this year with high gears specifically for that reason. Averaged 69rpm for the ride. Still got too hot and abandoned with 3 miles left. Trying to spin along through that heat/wind at a higher cadence would have put me out a lot sooner.
That’s fine and valid, and you’re not the one on here claiming to “spin out” on the flats in that 50x11.
Old 11-29-21, 11:57 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
That’s fine and valid, and you’re not the one on here claiming to “spin out” on the flats in that 50x11.
Neither am I. Though I can definitely do it if you give me a -5% grade longer than 1000m.
Old 11-30-21, 12:29 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2700 Post(s)
Liked 486 Times in 351 Posts
FWIW here is Hirschi spinning around 120 rpm (for short periods of time). He's not asking for a bigger chainring. https://youtu.be/Uot32nsQNn0
And here's a good clip explaining why pros don't bother pedaling much at that point anyway. https://youtu.be/zojjIghKQoM

my friend is like this lol, she is relatively new to cycling but stays in her highest gear unless she can't get up the hill in it. I think it funny af. Cruising through town af 50 rpm hahaha she's sweet.

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 11-30-21 at 11:15 AM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 11-30-21, 01:17 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Badger6
Neither am I. Though I can definitely do it if you give me a -5% grade longer than 1000m.
Agreed, but a few of the earlier posters implied it, hence LarrySellerz's comments.
And yes, I can understand anyone with a speed addiction wanting whatever gear they can push to find that limit. It just doesn't sound like that's the case for the OP.
Old 12-05-21, 07:39 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
IMO, the OP was about can a gearing change be made versus should it be.

dirtydozen I can move this thread to the Mechanics Forum for you and you may get more discussion on whether you can change chain rings as you envision. Let me know.