Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What would you bring in a SAG wagon?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-22, 03:44 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts

Besides some basic tools (metric allen wrenches, chain tool, pliers, tire levers, etc) what else would be helpful? I volunteered to drive as SAG for one of the charity event rides locally. I've got tire patches, some extra 11 speed chain links, a roll of electrical tape, some zip ties, a couple of spare tubes, and even one of my old, but still useable, 700X25c tires. Two racks on the roof. What about a First Aid kit?
I'm SAGging for the 33 mile route, so I don't anticipate a lot of flats or breakdowns, but you never know.
Old 03-27-22, 03:49 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,955 Times in 941 Posts
First Aide kit if it is a group start.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-27-22, 04:07 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,284 Times in 2,941 Posts
Water.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-27-22, 04:19 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 327 Posts
Just the usual stuff, basically what you'd normally carry in your saddle bag but full sized workshop versions (track pump, flat repair kit, a few tubes, Allen keys, chain tool, etc).

Then a basic first aid kit, some food and water.

Anything more serious or time consuming than a puncture or broken chain on a 30-ish mile organised ride is going to be a trip back in the wagon.
Old 03-27-22, 04:27 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Is floor pump or some sort of inflator in the "etc" part of your OP?.

Is a LBS one of the sponsors? They might be helpful to ask for info as to what you should carry with you. And might even have some stuff to loan to you.
Old 03-27-22, 04:29 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Beer for the end of the ride.
Likes For spelger:
Old 03-27-22, 05:18 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
Shrader-Presta adapter.

Oh heck. Carry a spare bike.
Likes For Doc_Wui:
Old 03-27-22, 05:40 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,719 Times in 1,004 Posts
podium girls to congrats the non finishers.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 03-27-22, 05:46 PM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
At least a couple of repair stands, should be mandatory.
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-27-22, 05:48 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
What's a SAG?

Oh, and 33 miles? Pffft! That's what I call a Wednesday.
Old 03-27-22, 05:55 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by tempocyclist
Just the usual stuff, basically what you'd normally carry in your saddle bag but full sized workshop versions (track pump, flat repair kit, a few tubes, Allen keys, chain tool, etc).

Then a basic first aid kit, some food and water.

Anything more serious or time consuming than a puncture or broken chain on a 30-ish mile organised ride is going to be a trip back in the wagon.
There are stops on the route for snacks and water. I doubt anyone will die of thirst or hunger on a 30 mile ride. But yeah, I agree, if somebody tacos a wheel somehow, or strips out a pedal, it's time to take a ride in the passenger seat with the bike on the rack. And I just now went out and picked up a basic first aid kit to toss in the glovebox.

Originally Posted by Iride01
Is floor pump or some sort of inflator in the "etc" part of your OP?.

Is a LBS one of the sponsors? They might be helpful to ask for info as to what you should carry with you. And might even have some stuff to loan to you.
Yes, I have a good floor pump that will handle both Presta and Schrader valves. There is no official LBS sponsor, but I'm certain a visit to my LBS would get a full list of what I may need. I think I pretty much have everything already.
Old 03-27-22, 06:22 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I would have links for more than just an 11 speed chain.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 03-27-22, 06:40 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Definitely a full size floor pump.

An expendable set of old, clean towels and clean rags. I assume there's a chance you might pick up a rider that had a minor crash, maybe with some scraped skin. Or sagging in a soaked rider from a downpour. It would be good to dry off or sit on a clean towel. Or even just clean up the scrape if the rider wants to keep going.

Hand cleaner too. You may find a rider that's been working on their bike's flat or drivetrain problem.

A folding repair stand? Will you be allowed help work on bikes, or is that a liability problem? A stand would help a rider do their own drivetrain fixes, too.
It's always surprising to me that there's always a couple of breakdowns at the side of the road within the first couple of miles of a big event ride.

A SAG sign in the windshield would be nice. It's not always obvious that a car is a SAG driver, until they've actually passed by.

Last edited by rm -rf; 03-27-22 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-27-22, 06:42 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
What's a SAG?
SAG: Support And Gear
Depending on the size of the ride (distance and number of riders) it usually provides basic mechanical support, somewhere to stash rain/cold weather gear(on long rides), you can also send one up the road to set up a rest / aid station, but the primary function most of the time is to pick up riders who are in distress or broken down and get them to an aid station/ rally point or the end of the course.

How much of which depends on how far you’re going and how many riders you’re supporting. If you’ve got a dedicated group of 50-60 riders doing 100 miles point-to-point for a week, you’ll be carrying more supplies (and probably an actual mechanic) , than say, a “30 mile local charity event”

In Bald Paul ‘s case, I don’t think he’ll have much to worry about, maybe help with a few flat tires, but primarily being the “broom wagon” making sure nobody gets left out on the course

DSC_2123 by R. Jeanette Martin, on Flickr

Last edited by Ironfish653; 03-27-22 at 07:12 PM.
Likes For Ironfish653:
Old 03-27-22, 07:07 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by rm -rf
An expendable set of old, clean towels and clean rags. I assume there's a chance you might pick up a rider that had a minor crash, maybe with some scraped skin. Or sagging in a soaked rider from a downpour. It would be good to dry off or sit on a clean towel. Or even just clean up the scrape if the rider wants to keep going.

Hand cleaner too. You may find a rider that's been working on their bike's flat or drivetrain problem.

A folding repair stand? Will you be allowed help work on bikes, or is that a liability problem? A stand would help a rider do their own drivetrain fixes, too.
It's always surprising to me that there's always a couple of breakdowns at the side of the road within the first couple of miles of a big event ride.

A SAG sign in the windshield would be nice. It's not always obvious that a car is a SAG driver, until they've actually passed by.
I do have a roll of disposable shop towels, but yeah, a full sized old beach towel or two (we have a lot of those, since we used to have an inground pool) in case of a shower is a good idea. Ditto on the hand cleaner. I'll pick some up.

I do have a portable repair stand, but really, if the bike needs one on a short ride, it's time to SAG in. SAG sign will be provided to me, so that's covered.
Old 03-27-22, 07:11 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Bmach
I would have links for more than just an 11 speed chain.
I only mentioned that because I have a couple short sections of chain from the ones on my bikes. That, and they are pretty common. Any others will either SAG in or finish the ride with a slightly short chain, and a warning about using big/big sprockets.
Old 03-27-22, 08:58 PM
VegasJen

Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
Originally Posted by Ironfish653
SAG: Support And Gear
Depending on the size of the ride (distance and number of riders) it usually provides basic mechanical support, somewhere to stash rain/cold weather gear(on long rides), you can also send one up the road to set up a rest / aid station, but the primary function most of the time is to pick up riders who are in distress or broken down and get them to an aid station/ rally point or the end of the course.

How much of which depends on how far you’re going and how many riders you’re supporting. If you’ve got a dedicated group of 50-60 riders doing 100 miles point-to-point for a week, you’ll be carrying more supplies (and probably an actual mechanic) , than say, a “30 mile local charity event”

In Bald Paul ‘s case, I don’t think he’ll have much to worry about, maybe help with a few flat tires, but primarily being the “broom wagon” making sure nobody gets left out on the course

DSC_2123 by R. Jeanette Martin, on Flickr
Thanks for the explanation. I haven't done an organized bike ride before. I've done a couple triathlons but I don't recall any kind of support vehicle. They were probably there, I just didn't know the drill.
Old 03-27-22, 09:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
it is such a short ride for SAG but generally I would carry something like Gatorade (or the new Gatorlyte) and some easy to digest snacks, as well as any first aid stuff especially stuff I knew how to use properly. For tools I would bring mostly basic stuff enough to get someone back on the road quickly. If they needed a larger repair they can get a ride in the wagon or wait for someone to pick them up. If it were a multi day ride I might take some common parts Shimano compatible brake pads or pads and shoes and some different chains and stuff like that but for something that short I might not maybe a chain link, maybe an emergency hanger but maybe not even that. Certainly a full size pump and a set of good hex wrenches and maybe a small torque wrench like the CDI one or the Park Tool one which has a few settings and some bits and probably tire changing tools and maybe a set of chain link pliers and possibly this: https://cyclingtips.com/2019/02/knip...s-cone-wrench/ but probably not even that.

It doesn't sound like you are doing NRS so you really don't need to worry to much, just have space in the car and a encouraging attitude and maybe some basic tools and a little nutrition and that is about it.
Old 03-28-22, 05:15 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Zip ties and electrical tape. Both types of screwdriver heads. Bead jack.
Old 03-28-22, 07:01 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,019 Times in 719 Posts
Its a ride that needs a sag wagon for 30 miles, I'd bring 7,8, and 9 speed quick links before 11sp, half of them probably think 10sp means 2x5. Mostly 1st aid kit, water, and a small range of tubes. Probably presta and schraeder, 26, 27.5 and 700c. 15mm wrench for axle nuts, and a basic set of allen wrenches.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-28-22, 08:30 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Serious question. If this is an organized ride, does the organizer provide a SAG wagon kit, or recommend the contents of one?
Old 03-28-22, 04:50 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Its a ride that needs a sag wagon for 30 miles, I'd bring 7,8, and 9 speed quick links before 11sp, half of them probably think 10sp means 2x5. Mostly 1st aid kit, water, and a small range of tubes. Probably presta and schraeder, 26, 27.5 and 700c. 15mm wrench for axle nuts, and a basic set of allen wrenches.
There are three options on this ride - 66 mile, 33 mile, and an 8 mile "Family Fun" ride. I think most of the axle nut bikes will probably be on the Fun ride route. I do have wrenches with me, though, as well as electrical tape and zip ties.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Serious question. If this is an organized ride, does the organizer provide a SAG wagon kit, or recommend the contents of one?
Yes, it's an organized ride. I've ridden in them before in prior years, but the club was in desperate need of SAG volunteers for some reason, so I'm helping out. I still get a T-shirt! I just found out there *may* be a bike mechanic from one of the LBS riding along with me.
Old 03-28-22, 05:23 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Cooler of ice cold beer
Old 03-28-22, 05:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18350 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
It depends on what you have, or have access to.

I'd probably do a couple of different sizes of tires. Perhaps even a spare wheel or two.

The last organized century ride I did, one of the riders blew out a shift cable. It might be more than you'd want to fix on the side of the road for a 30 mile ride. But, for a longer ride, a variety of spares might be handy.

Certainly a few spare tubes.
Old 03-28-22, 06:13 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Bald Paul Have the event organizers given you a general idea of what services you will be expected to provide during the event?

A mechanic might be driving SAG, but SAG drivers aren’t necessarily mechanics.

From the fact that you’re asking us, I’d venture to say that they probably just expect you to sweep stranded riders and get them to the aid station/ finish line. They asked for you to drive SAG, not as a mechanic. Any wrenching would be at your discretion.

That said, a case of water would be good to have, though the aid stations could probably supply you with one.
I’d bring my floor pump and some peel-&-stick patches to help get folks with flats back on their way, but I’d limit the actual repairs you do; SAG carries broken bikes to where the actual mechanics are.

Last tip: You don’t have to stay behind the las rider the whole time. If you have more than one vehicle, you can send one car up the road a few miles, wait for everyone to go past, then leapfrog back to the front. That way the support cars are spread out near as many riders as possible, and nobody is stuck driving 10 mph all day.
If the event has no fixed start time, you’ll probably be roaming the course all day.
Likes For Ironfish653:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.