Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mafac Brake Pad ?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mafac Brake Pad ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-09, 02:25 AM
abarth
Я люблю суп

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mafac Brake Pad ?

Do you replace them once the 4 circles are gone or wait until the rim almost touches the pad holders? Thanks
Old 11-06-09, 12:34 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
I would replace once the 4 circles are gone. I would find the after market replacements.
Old 11-06-09, 05:44 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I would replace once the 4 circles are gone. I would find the after market replacements.

+1, Scott-Matthauser or Salmon Koolstops fit and work well.
Old 11-06-09, 07:36 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
They work well, but they don't fit well at all.

Old 11-06-09, 07:53 PM
Oldpeddaller

Bikes: 1970 Holdsworth Mistral, Vitus 979, Colnago Primavera, Corratec Hydracarbon, Massi MegaTeam, 1935 Claud Butler Super Velo, Carrera Virtuoso, Viner, 1953 Claud Butler Silver Jubilee, 1954 Holdsworth Typhoon, 1966 Claud Butler Olympic Road, 1982 Claud

Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
They work well, but they don't fit well at all.

Hi Dirtdrop - your brake blocks look shorter than my Scott Matthausers, which fit the whole length of the shoe on my Mafac Racers. The blocks are NOS specified for Mafac on the label - I wonder if they made different sizes? I understood that Koolstop salmons are exactly the same as the old Scott - m's? Can anyone confirm?
Old 11-06-09, 09:40 PM
abarth
Я люблю суп

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks guys. On regular pad, I use it until the grooves almost gone. On the Mafac original there are so much material behind the 4 circles, it makes me wonder why they made the pad so thick. I had great experience with Kool Stop on my MTB, so I will go with KS as soon as I wear out the Mafac.
Old 11-06-09, 11:43 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
Hi Dirtdrop - your brake blocks look shorter than my Scott Matthausers, which fit the whole length of the shoe on my Mafac Racers. The blocks are NOS specified for Mafac on the label - I wonder if they made different sizes? I understood that Koolstop salmons are exactly the same as the old Scott - m's? Can anyone confirm?
I have Matthausers too, but they're the same length. The Package said size M. I believe that they made M, W and C, so maybe I got a mislabled package. The Kool Stops I have are the length that everybody sells for Mafacs these days, including Harris Cyclery. They say say that they fit both Campy and Mafac holders. That can't be because Mafac holders are longer. If you have a source for the correct length for Mafacs, please share! I've got Mafacs on three bikes. I've got Kool Stop mountain shoes on two of them. They work great, but I don't like the look.

I case you haven't guessed, M was for Mafac, W was for Weinmann and C was for Campagnolo.
Old 11-06-09, 11:56 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
What do those S-M pads read, Dirtdrop? From here, it seems to read "Premium...Something-or-other." Far as I know, genuine Scott-Mathausers are marked "Scott-Mathauser" followed by the M/W/C type name. Quite convenient - I recently found four in a LBS drawer; turned out two were Weinmann-spec, the other two, Campag. The markings made a quick job of determining which pair I needed.

-Kurt

Old 11-07-09, 01:22 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
There were three different Scott-Mathauser pads: the "M" pads were longer and sized for Mafac... "C" was for Campagnolo and "W" was designed for Weinmann (and Dia-Compe).

Here is a set on a current eBay auction... Buy-It-Now price = $39 plus shipping: https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag..._pads_M_01.jpg

Oldpeddaller - KoolStop did indeed buy the rights to use Scott-Mathauser's patented salmon colored compound.

--- NEWS FLASH ! ---

Someone from KoolStop at the recent Interbike show mentioned that KoolStop was actually planning to introduce proper Mafac dimensioned pads - sometime soon! They even had sets of prototype 4-bump replica pads at the show - perhaps testing the response of attendees.

I can't wait!
Old 11-07-09, 08:05 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,390 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by stronglight
Here is a set on a current eBay auction... Buy-It-Now price = $39 plus shipping: https://imagehost.vendio.com/bin/imag..._pads_M_01.jpg
Bingo - "Scott Mathauser M."

-Kurt

Old 11-07-09, 11:30 AM
Oldpeddaller

I have Matthausers too, but they're the same length. The Package said size M. I believe that they made M, W and C, so maybe I got a mislabled package. The Kool Stops I have are the length that everybody sells for Mafacs these days, including Harris Cyclery. They say say that they fit both Campy and Mafac holders. That can't be because Mafac holders are longer. If you have a source for the correct length for Mafacs, please share! I've got Mafacs on three bikes. I've got Kool Stop mountain shoes on two of them. They work great, but I don't like the look.

I case you haven't guessed, M was for Mafac, W was for Weinmann and C was for Campagnolo.
I got mine from one of the ebay sellers I regularly use here in the UK, I can't remember clearly now but it could well have been ebay username "Carltoncycles" - £8.00 for a set of four blocks, New Old Stock. I actually bought them for a pair of Campagnolo Record side-pulls but when the brakes arrived the original Campag pad were fine, so I put them in the Mafac shoes instead. IIRC, they were described as to fit 'Mafac, Campagnolo and similar brakes'. I don't know if there are any more available from this source, there was only one item listed in the ebay auction and that was two or three years ago.

I might still have the card off the top of the bag somewhere - if I have and can find it, I'll check the model. I think they would have been too long for the Records anyway, even though I sent details of the brake in a message to the seller when I bought them!
Old 11-07-09, 11:53 AM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by cudak888
What do those S-M pads read, Dirtdrop? From here, it seems to read "Premium...Something-or-other." Far as I know, genuine Scott-Mathausers are marked "Scott-Mathauser" followed by the M/W/C type name. Quite convenient - I recently found four in a LBS drawer; turned out two were Weinmann-spec, the other two, Campag. The markings made a quick job of determining which pair I needed.

-Kurt
Those are cool stop pads. They say "pemium quality" on one side and "Kool Stop" on the other. The SM pads are on the PX10 with Campagnolo brakes. They came in the original SM package and were clearly marked "type M" but they're Campagnolo size. I think they were just mislabled, as I said. As I also said and Stronglight found it necessary to repeat for some reason, type M was for Mafac and type C was for Campagnolo.
Old 11-07-09, 01:12 PM
Oldpeddaller

Those are cool stop pads. They say "pemium quality" on one side and "Kool Stop" on the other. The SM pads are on the PX10 with Campagnolo brakes. They came in the original SM package and were clearly marked "type M" but they're Campagnolo size. I think they were just mislabled, as I said. As I also said and Stronglight found it necessary to repeat for some reason, type M was for Mafac and type C was for Campagnolo.
Mine were labelled "M" I just checked - but the seller thought they'd fit Campagnolo. I suppose they would, if you cut off the excess!
Old 11-07-09, 03:21 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by Oldpeddaller
Mine were labelled "M" I just checked - but the seller thought they'd fit Campagnolo. I suppose they would, if you cut off the excess!
We should make a trade!
Old 11-07-09, 05:25 PM
Antipodes
Who cares, just ride it!

Bikes: 1992ish Davidson Impulse, 1981 Apollo Gran Sport SS, 2006 Salsa Las Cruces, 2010 Soma Double Cross

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Yes, I vouch for Kool-stops too, except I swapped the the whole had pad assemblies out for Kool Stop canti pads (The one-piece ones with the smooth posts). They work very well.
Old 11-07-09, 05:48 PM
Grand Bois

Originally Posted by Antipodes
Yes, I vouch for Kool-stops too, except I swapped the the whole had pad assemblies out for Kool Stop canti pads (The one-piece ones with the smooth posts). They work very well.
As I said, they work great, but I don't like the look.
Old 11-07-09, 07:53 PM
Oldpeddaller

We should make a trade!
Sorry Dirtdrop, I'd be a set short for my Mafacs! Sounds like you were right - yours were mis-labelled . should have been "C" - and my seller thought that "M" pads would fit Campag.
Old 11-07-09, 08:24 PM
Hydrated
Reeks of aged cotton duck

Bikes: 2008 Kogswell PR mkII, 1976 Raleigh Professional, 1996 Serotta Atlanta, 1984 Trek 520, 1979 Raleigh Comp GS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I have a set of Shimano 600 brakes on a Centurion that I want to equip with Kool Stop pads... and the holders are like the Mafac style, except that the pad is enclosed on all 4 sides by metal flanges. The back isn't open to slide a pad in or out like those pictured above.

In the past I've just replaced the whole holder and all with a new style unit, but I want to keep this bike looking more original. How do I replace the pads? Just shove the old pads out and brute force the new ones in?

Or is there a trick that I'm missing?