Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek FX Thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek FX Thread

Old 04-18-21, 09:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by geekmom
New 2021 Fx 2 disc owner (Alpine blue), brought it home yesterday! I am a runner/triathlete who needed a bike to ride around while I'm spending time in Florida helping my parents. Took my maiden ride yesterday and was pleasantly surprised at how good this bike feels (for reference, I ride a BMC Timemachine at home). The one thing I'd like to swap is the pedals. I don't want to clip in, but need something better than stock. What is everyone using on their hybrids?
Congrats on new bike. I like clipless and use Time ATAC XC pedals on all my bikes. I have been using them for over 10 years.

My wife is not a fan of clipless and uses platform pedals. She likes the Xpedo Spry pedals. I picked these up for 92, but you can find over versions for around 70.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-19-21, 11:10 AM
raymellott

Bikes: 2015 Trek FX 7.0 - modified to be better on the road than it was designed to be. Now, 2021 Domane.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
I'm using MKS Sylvan Lite pedals; but I'm also using half clips so to force me to pedal with the ball of my foot instead of my instep; while also being able to lift the pedal on an up stroke. Very happy with the combo.
Old 04-19-21, 01:59 PM
Midnight Blue

Bikes: 2021 Trek FX Sport 6, 2019 Trek Dual Sport 3

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Proud new owner of a 2021 FX Sport 6. Love the bike but find the saddle too firm even with proper bike shorts. Looking for suggestions that aren't too heavy.
Likes For Midnight Blue:
Old 04-19-21, 05:21 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Originally Posted by Midnight Blue
Proud new owner of a 2021 FX Sport 6. Love the bike but find the saddle too firm even with proper bike shorts. Looking for suggestions that aren't too heavy.
Congrats on the bike. You might look at the Bontrager Verse saddle. I started using them about 6 months ago and really find them super comfortable and they are not heavy. My wife also found the stock saddle on her FX4 really not to her liking and I moved her to a Verse and after long rides for her, 15 and 20 miles, she said she was quite happy with it. I use the 135mm, she uses the 145mm. The good thing with the Bontrager saddles, they have a 30 day return. See if the shop will swap the saddle or give you a discount on the Verse. I use the Elite and she has the Comp.

I also like the fact that you can mount a taillight off the back and have enough space to have a saddle bag.

Edit, the bracket off the saddle is extra charge...like $5 or something. The dude at the bike shop had an extra one and let me have it.

Last edited by jaxgtr; 04-19-21 at 06:15 PM.
Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-19-21, 05:41 PM
Midnight Blue

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Congrats on the bike. You might look at the Bontrager Verse saddle. I started using them about 6 months ago and really find them super comfortable and they are not heavy. My wife also found the stock saddle on her FX4 really not to her liking and I moved her to a Verse and after long rides for her, 15 and 20 miles, she said she was quite happy with it. I use the 135mm, she uses the 145mm. The good thing with the Bontrager saddles, they have a 30 day return. See if the shop will swap the saddle or give you a discount on the Verse. I use the Elite and she has the Comp.

I also like the fact that you can mount a taillight off the back and have enough space to have a saddle bag.

Thanks for the recommendations! Curious as to which bag and light you have. Is prefer to have a bag behind me rather then on the frame.
Old 04-19-21, 06:04 PM
jaxgtr

Thanks for the recommendations! Curious as to which bag and light you have. Is prefer to have a bag behind me rather then on the frame.
The tail light is the Bontrager Flare R . I use them on my bikes as they are pretty bright and make me very visible. My wife was in her car one time riding down a fairly busy road around noon when I was riding out to the beach and she knew it was me from the tail light. I have the front light of this version her bike as well. She does not ride at night, but on my bike, I use the Bontrager Ion 800 as it has 800 lumens, so I can see pretty good. It was the light I used for commuting.

What ever bag you use that works for your needs to perfectly fine. Nothing says you have to have it under the seat, that is just what i use. Oh, the bag I have is a Bontrager Pro Quick Cleat medium, I have used them for 5 or 6 years. They have held up very well.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-23-21, 08:13 PM
Sleejusa

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fx3 number of speeds

Hi all, I'm considering a used approximately 2017 FX3. I'm a little confused though as the posting says it is 21 speeds. I asked the seller to confirm this, and he did. However, all the specs I see on this suggest it is either 18 or 27 speeds. I also saw another listing that too was 21 speeds. Am I missing something? Is there any year of the fx3, or maybe the prior fx 7.3, where they had 21 speeds?
Old 04-23-21, 08:23 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Sleejusa
Hi all, I'm considering a used approximately 2017 FX3. I'm a little confused though as the posting says it is 21 speeds. I asked the seller to confirm this, and he did. However, all the specs I see on this suggest it is either 18 or 27 speeds. I also saw another listing that too was 21 speeds. Am I missing something? Is there any year of the fx3, or maybe the prior fx 7.3, where they had 21 speeds?
I used to own a 2016 7.3 and it was a nine-speed at the back (x3 up front = 27) and so was the 2017 FX3. There's some chance the seller doesn't know what they're talking about, but there's more than a good chance that the bike might have been stolen. Be careful. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-23-21, 08:48 PM
Sleejusa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I used to own a 2016 7.3 and it was a nine-speed at the back (x3 up front = 27) and so was the 2017 FX3. There's some chance the seller doesn't know what they're talking about, but there's more than a good chance that the bike might have been stolen. Be careful. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for confirming. I'll ask again. It's weird, there are two separate posts in my area, two separate sellers, both claiming to be 21. The one I'm looking at seems legit, but I'll ask the guy again and get some more detailed pics.
Old 04-29-21, 12:52 PM
Sleejusa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I was able to confirm it is 27 speeds. He didn't know what he was talking about. Ha!

Looking at the $450 range for this. Been a single owner, seems in good shape. Does that feel like a good price?

I'm a fairly casual rider that is mostly on paved roads and trails. Want to be able to do occasional light dirt and gravel as well. I'm thinking of going with this and popping some new tires on, maybe slightly thicker than the stock 32s. Does this seem like a good bike and price, for what I'm looking for?
Old 04-29-21, 07:17 PM
jaxgtr

That seems a tad steep consider a new FX3 Disc can be had for not much more at 900. I would offer 375 and negotiate from there.

Old 04-30-21, 06:29 AM
Midnight Blue

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
That seems a tad steep consider a new FX3 Disc can be had for not much more at 900. I would offer 375 and negotiate from there.
Perhaps true but the very limited availability of new bikes is driving used bike prices higher. Difference between riding now or getting a new bike in 6 months or more.
Old 04-30-21, 06:35 AM
Sleejusa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Perhaps true but the very limited availability of new bikes is driving used bike prices higher. Difference between riding now or getting a new bike in 6 months or more.
I got him down to $400. I cannot swing $900 for a new bike, even if I did want to wait a year for it. Most of the used ones around me are actually even more (several 7.2 and FX2 in the $500 range, some FX3s and DS3s approaching $600 or more). My alternative was something like a Specialized sirrus x 2.0. I found some new ones of those for $750, but didnt seem like those were that much of an upgrade (if any) from the the FX3 to warrant $350 more.
Old 04-30-21, 06:40 AM
Midnight Blue

I got him down to $400. I cannot swing $900 for a new bike, even if I did want to wait a year for it. Most of the used ones around me are actually even more (several 7.2 and FX2 in the $500 range, some FX3s and DS3s approaching $600 or more). My alternative was something like a Specialized sirrus x 2.0. I found some new ones of those for $750, but didnt seem like those were that much of an upgrade (if any) from the the FX3 to warrant $350 more.
If the bike is great condition and you like the way it rides, I would pull the trigger. You get a terrific bike at a price you can manage and you get to ride now. Go for it!
Old 04-30-21, 06:56 AM
jaxgtr

Don't disagree with this, but that level of bike seems to be more in stock, well..., At least in my area, more in stock than the higher end models. The 3 trek dealers we have here have a few in stock across several sizes. Not that they hang around long, but I have noticed the stock of bikes improving lately.

Old 04-30-21, 06:35 PM
jaxgtr

Thats cool. Enjoy your new ride.

Old 05-10-21, 06:35 AM
senatorsca

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Good information in this thread everyone.
Just wanted to chime in and say the girlfriend and I both got an FX2/FX3 disc 2 years ago and we ride them a few times a week, definitely love them. I am in the midst of switching the seat and grips out though as longer rides are getting uncomfortable for me.

I converted both bikes with a BBS02 kit and 52v battery. If anyone has any questions about the conversion on the FX's let me know, I would be glad to help. Right now we are getting 100-120km per charge on a 52v 14ah battery running 25-30km/h and it has been windy! They are well balanced bikes for an electric conversion.
Old 05-10-21, 04:23 PM
B2mac

Bikes: 2005 Gary Fisher Nirvana; 2010 Trek FX7.5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was the cost of your conversion to an ebike? How much weight did the conversion add? Did you do the work yourself? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-21, 05:40 PM
senatorsca

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B2mac
What was the cost of your conversion to an ebike? How much weight did the conversion add? Did you do the work yourself? Thanks in advance!
Hi B2mac.
We are in Canada, so prices are in $CDN.
Full motor kit with all required sensors/controllers etc. was $560 per bike. On the FX series with a 42-44t crank you are looking at maximum ~ class 3 ebike speeds (28-30mph, 50km/h) on a 52v battery, with plenty of torque for any reasonable hill.
Batteries are $300-800. We didn't skimp as this is the most important part, so we got EM3EV 52v 14ah batteries, so around $650 each. That makes the full conversion roughly $1200 per bike.

The motor and parts are around 8lbs. The battery is about 8-10. So approx. 20lb added.

I bought all the tools necessary and did the conversion myself. Was around 2 hours each kit to get everything done, not very difficult at all.
Likes For senatorsca:
Old 05-11-21, 08:01 AM
BonesMcC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
FX3 - installing bar ends

Hello.
New member; UK, and new owner of a 2021 FX3.

I'm very pleased with my new bike, and the only thing I want to change initially is to add bar ends.

Having read through this whole thread, I see it has been a recurrent theme, partly due to the IsoZone non-standard bar and grips.
I have found the Bontrager bar-end adapter pack for 12.99, but I also read somewhere else that the most recent Trek FX IsoZone bars don't need the adapters any more?! Any truth to that?

- What I basically would like is to keep the IsoZone grips, but add bar-ends that resemble the size and shape of the Ergon GP5 ends.
The closest picture to that I have seen on here is way from the first page of the thread - QUOTED below. It's not quite perfect - I like the size, shape and material of the GP5 ends.
There are links to websites selling just the ends of the GP5. Is it remotely feasible that I could fit those next to my IsoZone grips, using the Bontrager adapters?

Appreciate any advice.
Bones

Originally Posted by cncspinner
It actually worked out in the end, the bontrager set up ended be being less expensive and the bike shop installed them for free.

PHOTO REMOVED AS NOT YET HAD 10 posts
Old 05-11-21, 08:05 PM
senatorsca

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BonesMcC
Hello.
New member; UK, and new owner of a 2021 FX3.

I'm very pleased with my new bike, and the only thing I want to change initially is to add bar ends.

Having read through this whole thread, I see it has been a recurrent theme, partly due to the IsoZone non-standard bar and grips.
I have found the Bontrager bar-end adapter pack for 12.99, but I also read somewhere else that the most recent Trek FX IsoZone bars don't need the adapters any more?! Any truth to that?

- What I basically would like is to keep the IsoZone grips, but add bar-ends that resemble the size and shape of the Ergon GP5 ends.
The closest picture to that I have seen on here is way from the first page of the thread - QUOTED below. It's not quite perfect - I like the size, shape and material of the GP5 ends.
There are links to websites selling just the ends of the GP5. Is it remotely feasible that I could fit those next to my IsoZone grips, using the Bontrager adapters?

Appreciate any advice.
Bones
Hi there,

I just did the swap from the iso-zone grips to new iso-zone copies with ends on them. I can't post pictures yet, but after this one I will be able to and show you my setup. I'll hopefully be able to give it a go this weekend and let you know.

IMO, just make the switch to the GP5's
Old 05-12-21, 08:08 AM
BonesMcC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. Look forward to seeing what you have achieved.

Would this work?::
- keep the IsoZone bar and grips
- install the Bontrager Satelite Plus bar end adapters
- add the 'ergotec Evo-Touring 50011001 Bar Ends with Soft Grip Covering Made of Aluminium AL6061-T6 Large Black' from Amazon
Old 05-12-21, 09:34 AM
Not2worried

Bikes: FX 2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just wondering where people are mounting their portalable tire pumps? Are you bolting them on to the water bottle holder?
Just concern it may get in the way.
Old 05-12-21, 10:57 AM
senatorsca

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Finally hit 10 so here are the pics of bikes with the conversion kits, and my white FX3 with the bar ends.

Likes For senatorsca:
Old 05-16-21, 04:25 AM
jair101

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Considering switch to tubeless on my Trek FX3 Disc 2020 and it seems that I am again constantly pulled in to the Bontrager whirlpool. I just find out they use their own proprietary rim tape and valves, which apparently work very well, however are very difficult to find in my neck of the woods. For my wheel it seems that the recommended tape size is 700cX21mm, which I found online and together with the delivery will cost me about $60 for a pair. On another website I found 700x22mm, which will cost me $27 for a pair, more than 2x the difference. Do you think I can use the cheaper tape instead, will the 1mm difference be a problem? Or ignore the Bontrager ecosystem altogether and go with regular 3rd party tape and valves.

This stuff is really annoying, as much as I hate proprietary stuff, I don't mind actually paying for it when it works fine, the pricing is comparable and the availability is wide. Trek is seriously lacking on the last two points, 60$ for two rim tapes is outrageous and I shouldn't be forced to buy stuff from the other corner of Europe when they supposedly have official local supplier.

Here is a screenshot from one website. No idea why the 21mm should be 2x the price of the 17.5mm...

Last edited by jair101; 05-16-21 at 04:50 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.