Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

Watts vs Watts/Kg on Zwift

Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Watts vs Watts/Kg on Zwift

Old 01-18-22, 04:44 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
This topic is why I'm freeriding Rouvy now instead and will do my structured workouts in Zwift. They simply can't fix due to complexity, the group dynamics of a set of riders. The attempt to tame the "blob" is nice, but riders in real life take a lot longer to work way up road on a "yellow line law, or rule" situation where you can't jump center line and sprint to the front. Watch how fast riders whip to and fro in a Zwift blob, everytime this happens a new rider at a new higher power is on front. Real life, that front ride has to get out of the way for the next. The real life lag is what makes real life breakaways possible.

Also, the semi-infinite draft of a crowded Zwift world is comical. It's why Richmond flats is soooo crowded, easy po peasy XP given the speed you can get lapping that on a road bike.

IMO the solo Rouvy rides have been a LOT more realistic on pace versus effort.

Lastly, Zwift claims a CdA penalty on rider height and weight.........but it ain't realistic. The CdA for "large" riders is way way way too low and good. Meanwhile, at 70kg, I'm easily 1 to 2mph faster in a real life TT bike ride.

Not a big deal at all, but for me it was one realism breakage too much.
Old 01-18-22, 06:43 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4381 Post(s)
Liked 4,817 Times in 2,976 Posts
Yeah, I prefer Rouvy for a realistic ride experience. But Zwift is fun if you don't take the racing seriously. I don't even bother with Zwift racing anymore, but enjoy some of the group rides and big fondo events.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 01-19-22, 08:52 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 231 Posts
Originally Posted by atwl77
This sort of power comparison comes frequently. A very simple rule of thumb (which also applies in real life), is that:

- when two riders are riding at the same power (W), the lighter one is faster
- when two riders are riding at the same W/kg, the heavier one is faster

Very easy to verify with any online bike calculator.
I think I will try a ride with Pace Partners today. Diesel Dan is listed as
  • Rides at 125w (1.5 w/kg)

Does that mean that I should ride at 125w, which for me is 1.8 w/Kg, or at 1.5 w/kg, which for me is 104 watts?

Or some combo, such as 125 w on the flats and 1.5w/kg uphill?
Old 01-19-22, 09:30 AM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

Does that mean that I should ride at 125w, which for me is 1.8 w/Kg, or at 1.5 w/kg, which for me is 104 watts?

You ride at the pace needed to keep up with them. That's going to vary depending on the size of the group that's also following D Diesel, since there's going to be the draft effect after all. I suppose you could use a time trial bike ignore the draft, but you'll find yourself needing to vary your power anyway depending on the elevation.

Ignoring the draft and other effects (such as CdA, etc)... on the flats, riding at 125w you will probably be moving faster than D Diesel but if you drop down to 104w they will eventually catch up with you since you're lighter than them so you'll find yourself riding somewhere in between that. Less power when climbing, more power when downhill.

Last edited by atwl77; 01-19-22 at 09:36 AM.
Old 01-19-22, 12:11 PM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
i'm 70kg. when riding w diesel, I have to slow down on the climbs and pedal hard on the downhills. this implies Dan is big. constant wattage (or w/kg) doesn't stay tight. and if you blow out of the 'band' you have to start over on the drops multiplier and you won't get virtual kit that you don't like. which is also fine because its. just. a. game. dammit.
Old 01-20-22, 03:45 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Or some combo, such as 125 w on the flats and 1.5w/kg uphill?[/QUOTE]

I rode for about 45 minutes. 1.5 or 1.8 w/kg is a pretty narrow range, so yea...in there somewhere. Gotta figure the draft in there somewhere, so it is hard to say. 45 minutes (one album) at that pace was plenty for me.
Old 01-26-22, 08:23 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 301 Posts
This post is timely, despite me joining it a bit late. I spent most of the fall just chilling on Zwift and watching the GCN videos while riding but then got back into the group rides with the start of the Tour and I am getting my butt kicked. Now I thought it would take a ride or two to get back into it but I have been riding harder since mid December and still finding it tough.

So I'm about 84kgs (185lbs) and in Zwift ride at about 230 watts to stay in the top 25%. On the flat routes I can maintain this for up to 20 kms but then as soon as we start to climb I drop big time and usually lose the group I'm in. Luckily those rides are big enough that the next group comes along quickly. After 20 km's I really start to fade and drop down to about 200 watts on average which then makes my over all ride about 205-210 average watts.

Hoping it gets a little easier by the time the Tour is over.
Old 01-26-22, 08:53 AM
bblair

230 watts/84kg equals 2.7 W/Kg. For many, that is not very impressive. But I could not hang with that for very long. And no way could I sustain 230 watts anywhere.

That said, you would fit in very nicely IRL in our local club rides. But let's re group at the top.
Old 01-26-22, 09:37 AM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by gthomson
This post is timely, despite me joining it a bit late. I spent most of the fall just chilling on Zwift and watching the GCN videos while riding but then got back into the group rides with the start of the Tour and I am getting my butt kicked. Now I thought it would take a ride or two to get back into it but I have been riding harder since mid December and still finding it tough.

So I'm about 84kgs (185lbs) and in Zwift ride at about 230 watts to stay in the top 25%. On the flat routes I can maintain this for up to 20 kms but then as soon as we start to climb I drop big time and usually lose the group I'm in. Luckily those rides are big enough that the next group comes along quickly. After 20 km's I really start to fade and drop down to about 200 watts on average which then makes my over all ride about 205-210 average watts.

Hoping it gets a little easier by the time the Tour is over.
At 84kg you are never going to stand out in the mountains. On the flat you should be looking pretty respectable at 230W. Just bear in mind that not everyone on Zwift is honest about their weight or has accurate power output on their trainer. It's not quite like real life in that respect.
Old 01-26-22, 09:53 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

230 watts/84kg equals 2.7 W/Kg. For many, that is not very impressive.
LOL thanks, I am aware of that and that's why I join the C group rides mostly, though with this tour there's a big difference in distance between B&C so I have been joining some B rides. Maybe that's why I'm getting my butt kicked. Riding in the real world my wattage is much lower (cars, stop lights, wind, etc....) so would probably get dropped like a bad habit.

Pete Heski - yeah hills are my enemy and even the slightest incline for any distance puts me way back from where I started. I need to be putting out way over 3 W/Kg to keep up the same pace I'm riding on the flats and I just don't have that strength.
Old 01-26-22, 09:55 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,012 Times in 518 Posts
Riding a trainer gives one plenty of time to think about useless stuff.

On a flat route, it seems that power output (watts) is way more relevant than W/Kg since you are not dragging weight up a hill. Just wind resistance, rolling resistance and other minor things. So, wouldn't it be interesting to see what other riders are putting out as they fly by?

I can change my listed weight to 10kg, which might help me uphill, but my pathetic 130 watts would still get me dropped on the flats. Rightly so.
There's a GCN video on this topic ... I mean of course there's a GCN video on the topic

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-26-22, 08:26 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
LOL thanks, I am aware of that and that's why I join the C group rides mostly, though with this tour there's a big difference in distance between B&C so I have been joining some B rides. Maybe that's why I'm getting my butt kicked.
Note that the ride categories don't always correspond to rider ability. For most races and events yes, A-D correspond to a specific range of W/kg, but for special events such as the TdZ they correspond to different routes and distances (and gender, though don't remember if there are any women-only groupings this year). It's up to the event organizer (whether that be Zwift, or some club organizing their special group rides, or whomever) to define what the A-D groupings mean for their events.

Generally for these "free-for-all" events I will ride at the pace I want, where eventually I'll end up in a group going roughly the same pace with me, and I'll just try to stick with this group for the rest of the ride (taking advantage of power-ups, where tactically possible, to stay within the group and account for discrepancies in pace on the climbs and descents).

Last edited by atwl77; 01-26-22 at 08:33 PM.
Old 01-26-22, 08:27 PM
bmwpowere36m3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Funny, one our clubs members posted a ride tonight with Diesel Dan on Strava.
Old 01-27-22, 09:22 AM
bblair

That is a great video.

"According to Science," what I have learned is that I need a new Pinarello Dogma with DuraAce Di2 and carbon wheels. The red color will go great on Valentine's Day.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-27-22, 09:50 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Exactly!

It also affects movement within a large group. Sometimes you find yourself having to go full gas for no apparent reason whatsoever, with no change in group pace or gradient. Then you suddenly surge forward and have to back off to avoid riding off the front. It happens mostly in large groups rather than small groups of 4 or 5 riders. I haven't really thought much about the dynamics of it, but I expect it's caused by the power fluctuations of the rider you happen to be following. So if they suddenly back off the gas in the middle of a pack you probably get stuck to them and have to put out a load of extra power just to go through them and back on to the wheel of someone who is pushing.

What I've learned from this is not to ride near the back end of a large Zwift group as any riders dropping back through the bunch will make your life hard work having to plough through all their "stickiness". It's much better to get up to the front end of the group and then sit on the second or third row. I find this approach makes drafting more consistent and less overall effort to stay with a fast paced group. Life at the back is painful in those groups and I think this "sticky" dynamic makes it even harder for guys who are struggling to stay with the group anyway. They basically end up stuck to each other as they are losing pace from the group. It took me a while to work this out. I would often sit toward the back of a big group and wonder why I was having to make massive efforts every time I overtook a wheel in front who was slowing slightly.
This is why I like riding courses where the path in your direction is more narrow than wider courses. I can't always tell in advance, but I'll ride some races where the pack I'm in will be 40-60 people but only be 3 rows deep. Other courses which have narrower paths, a group of the same size is more like 5-6 rows deep. Takes much less concentration to stay just in front of the middle when that's not also the back.
Old 01-27-22, 09:53 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4217 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I would like to see both actually. Watts and W/kg in brackets. Then you get a better impression of the size of rider you are up against, since the 3 rider avatar sizes don't really give away that much.
I'd rather see W/kg and speed. Especially in a cat-limitted race it lets me see what sort of effort my competitors are putting out and lets me see speed differentials to know what I need to do to hook onto that group chasing me (as a bigger rider who likes to try to go for sprints, I often find myself off the front after a long, steep downhill or sprint segment - and I tend to get dropped eventually) and what it will take (if it's possible) to chase back onto the group I just got gapped of the back of.
Old 01-27-22, 04:10 PM
bblair

Some other revelations from that video. I have a few choices:

Get stronger. I am working on that, but at age 65 and 5000 miles a year, I think this is just what I've got. I could do some high intensity intervals, gain 5 watts and have less fun.
Get lighter. I weigh about 144 pounds, so some room there, but not much. If that means giving up beer, I'd rather get dropped.
Get a lighter bike. Now we are talking! My Ti Lynskey is pretty light, but if I can buy my way into the A Group, let's do it! Probably have to spend $10,000 to lose 2 pounds. Hm...I can do that and still drink the beer. Might cost me a kitchen remodel though....

Or just forget all this B.S. and enjoy riding. Probably #4, but considering #3.
Likes For bblair:
Old 01-27-22, 06:42 PM
gthomson

I have to agree with Alex on that video - too nerdy for me. I did always wonder why back in the 80's & 90's when Lance and crew ruled supreme, cyclists looked like beasts with massive power to drive them up through the mountains and along the sprints. Truly inspirational for a teenage boy like me who worshipped Arnie and Stallone on the big screen but then pro riders started to get skinnier and skinnier as the years went on.

With the research we now have as per that video, we can see that there is a balance to achieve to find maximum performance with a minimum amount of drag and mass so as to not slow things down. I guess that's why Egan Bernal is so successful due to his diminutive size but great strength.

I do not size up to either of those attributes so will hang out at the back of the pack.
Old 01-27-22, 11:03 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 129 Posts

I rode for about 45 minutes. 1.5 or 1.8 w/kg is a pretty narrow range, so yea...in there somewhere. Gotta figure the draft in there somewhere, so it is hard to say. 45 minutes (one album) at that pace was plenty for me.
So - in Zwift, your rider's drag depends on both your entered weight and height (lets ignore the draft for a minute) - so being lighter means you need fewer watts to go the same speed. So does being shorter (not sure I've ever seen a height for Dan Diesel, or I'd run you and Dan through my equivalent power spreadsheet)

You're probably going to need in the neighbourhood of 110W / 1.6 W/kg to stick with Dan on the flat, maybe a touch more, but as you go uphill you'll be able to back off towards that 104W.

As far as the draft - Dan Diesel is almost always in a big enough group that he is in the draft as well, so you don't get that advantage over him, or he gets the same draft advantage you do, whichever way you want to think about it.

With B. Brevet and A. Anquetil, the group is rarely big and there is almost never anyone in front of them - so you have the advantage of being in the draft when the pace partner isn't. This kind of makes Dan (and Coco Cadence @ 2.5 W/kg) a little tougher to ride with for their power than the other two.
Old 01-28-22, 05:21 AM
PeteHski

I did always wonder why back in the 80's & 90's when Lance and crew ruled supreme, cyclists looked like beasts with massive power to drive them up through the mountains and along the sprints. Truly inspirational for a teenage boy like me who worshipped Arnie and Stallone on the big screen but then pro riders started to get skinnier and skinnier as the years went on.
There were also plenty of lightweight riders in that era too. Pantani 57 kg, Hinault 62 kg, Delgardo 64 kg, Lemond 67 kg, Fignon 67 kg. Armstrong and Indurain were really outliers in the overall picture at 75 and 80 kg respectively. Pogacar at 66 kg is more in line with Lemond and Fignon. Also very similar in terms of their BMI.

Interestingly, the lowest TdF winning BMI I can find is Bradley Wiggins at 19.1. He did look like Stick Man for sure that year!

Last edited by PeteHski; 01-28-22 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-28-22, 06:24 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Tour de France winner's BMI

There were also plenty of lightweight riders in that era too. Pantani 57 kg, Hinault 62 kg, Delgardo 64 kg, Lemond 67 kg, Fignon 67 kg. Armstrong and Indurain were really outliers in the overall picture at 75 and 80 kg respectively. Pogacar at 66 kg is more in line with Lemond and Fignon. Also very similar in terms of their BMI.

Interestingly, the lowest TdF winning BMI I can find is Bradley Wiggins at 19.1. He did look like Stick Man for sure that year!
Yes, you can see that Armstrong and Indurain clearly look like outliers of all TdF winners as overall BMI trends is down over the years. I can't take credit for this plot, there is an R database in github, and you can see more at https://www.r-bloggers.com/2019/11/v...nce-data-in-r/

It seems like Luis Ocana, the 1973 winner had a BMI close to Sir Wiggins.

graph from Alasair Rushworth built using R.

Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 02-10-22, 01:24 PM
gthomson

This is probably obvious to most of you but it was an "a-ha" moment for me as i was signing up for a make up TDZ event that I missed the other week. I just read "Double Draft will also be enabled—meaning the drafting effect riders receive will increase by 50% during the Tour." which explains why I was drafting like mad in the blob and able to get through the KMs way easier and faster than normal. It's natural to expect to use less watts when drafting in a peloton but I kept noticing is was so much more apparent during the tour rides than any previous group rides I've done.

I just assumed it was something to do with the new trainer I have!
Old 02-10-22, 05:07 PM
PeteHski

This is probably obvious to most of you but it was an "a-ha" moment for me as i was signing up for a make up TDZ event that I missed the other week. I just read "Double Draft will also be enabled—meaning the drafting effect riders receive will increase by 50% during the Tour." which explains why I was drafting like mad in the blob and able to get through the KMs way easier and faster than normal. It's natural to expect to use less watts when drafting in a peloton but I kept noticing is was so much more apparent during the tour rides than any previous group rides I've done.

I just assumed it was something to do with the new trainer I have!
Double draft is often used in other group rides too, not just TDZ. It's basically an optional setting for the group organiser. So always worth looking out for, as it is usually flagged up in the ride notes.