Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Cool Santa Barbara shop

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Cool Santa Barbara shop

Old 01-30-22, 09:35 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Cool Santa Barbara shop

Not exactly for the poor folks, but I love the concept, and the execution is fairly awesome, IMO.

Old 01-30-22, 11:37 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
I have been by that shop earlier.
Looks a bit more fleshed out.
while peeking in the front windows while the shop was closed the guys might need to tidy up a bit. Copies of vintage Playboy are vintage but might not be the right presentation for 50% of your potential customer base, let alone their kids.

There was a Vintage Road Bike store on State Street that was chocked full of product, The Bici. They did not last long.

This shop is down the street from Handlebar Coffee's big store.
Old 01-31-22, 02:20 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
90s MTBs only; I predict this niche market won't last without expanding the base...

DD
Old 01-31-22, 03:19 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
I hope they do well. It is great to see excitement around cycling even though it seems a bit too focused on one facet. Maybe they will expand into road bikes and previous decades.
Old 01-31-22, 09:46 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Interesting, did he say they have a barbar shop next door? If so that's not bad hangouts to have together. I do like the minimalist of changes to the property, the kitchen feel is probably a good draw for the walk-in appeal. The local artisans is also good for the tourist type shopping. I wonder what the prices are, the shoes are way out of my style and budget.

I do think that they will need to do a lot of outreach, and community events consistently to maintain.

In my neighborhood there is a used bike store/service joint, much smaller than what is in the video, doubles as a coffee shop. They have been there a couple of years.
Old 01-31-22, 10:45 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,764 Times in 2,270 Posts
I wish them well, but if the business model is having a place to hang out and talk about bikes...

In Portland, three great shops that encouraged that have closed in the last few years.
Velo Cult
Norther
Rivelo

Rivelo probably did the best job of making sure they had branded merch to buy, but that wasn't enough.
Old 01-31-22, 11:34 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,295 Times in 3,631 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
I wish them well, but if the business model is having a place to hang out and talk about bikes...

In Portland, three great shops that encouraged that have closed in the last few years.
Velo Cult
Norther
Rivelo

Rivelo probably did the best job of making sure they had branded merch to buy, but that wasn't enough.
Golden pliers seems to have it figured out for the time being and have been there for awhile but time will tell.
Old 01-31-22, 08:52 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Originally Posted by Drillium Dude
90s MTBs only; I predict this niche market won't last without expanding the base...

DD
He did say they'll build it any way you want; gravel, townie, commuter, whatever.
Old 01-31-22, 09:22 PM
billytwosheds 

Bikes: Peugeot, Legnano, Fuji, Zunow, De Rosa, Miyata, Bianchi, Pinarello, Specialized, Bridgestone, Cinelli, Merckx

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 213 Posts
That shop used to be the original Cajun Kitchen breakfast spot in SB. I have lots of good (hungover) memories eating there in college.

https://www.santabarbara.com/dining/...s-permanently/

I can't speak to the probability of success for the Boom Boom venture, but there are lots of deep pockets in SB (and nearby Montecito, Summerland, etc) and beautiful trails all around.

But $700 sneakers will never make sense to me.

Last edited by billytwosheds; 01-31-22 at 10:19 PM.
Likes For billytwosheds:
Old 02-01-22, 01:26 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by billytwosheds

But $700 sneakers will never make sense to me.
I hear you. That's why I've not made any predictions in the thread asking what the next collectible fad will be - there's just no way to predict what things people will be into, and sneaks that go for multiple Benjamins is a perfect example

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 02-01-22, 04:08 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie

Velo Cult
Norther
Rivelo

I know what you are saying. We had a guy in Santa Barbara that some of you know . His name is Baron and he had shipping containers full of vintage bikes, frames, and parts that he brought over from Europe. He sold boat loads of NOS parts for vintage road bikes and was one of THE best wheel builders around. The only problem that I saw is that he had trouble keeping the doors open. He moved frequently and even tried a shop here in Santa Paula but it didn’t last. Now there is a shop in Ventura that has survived but their main focus is modern bikes. There are a few of us vintage guys that show up for cables and consumables but it is clear that they gotta sell bikes to stay alive. Mark has tried numerous times to get me on a carbon road bike and I tell him thanks but no thanks . The same with Bill’s Bikes in Camarillo. He has racks of some beautiful vintage racing bikes but they focus on selling to the modern crowd. The vintage racers are more like conversation pieces.