Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Short rant

Old 05-26-22, 06:47 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Hey JoeyBike is that you in the profile pic hanging on to the taxi cab? If the lane is narrower that will be much easier!
But seriously, although it's counter-intuitive a lane that's 10-11ft instead of the standard 12ft will actually make you safer. Drivers, on average, will drive a little slower and be less distracted and will give you more room to pass and not try to lane share without moving as much. Narrower lanes are not appropriate on all roads and all circumstances, but on average would enhance safety.
Citation needed.

Whoever thinks that has never ridden on narrow roads in NH.

ETA--I looked this up. If I'm not mistaken, the 12 foot vs. 10 foot studies are all on urban roads (e.g., Tokyo and Toronto).. TBH, I don't think these "cues" about acceptable speeds would operate the same way outside of city and town centers.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-26-22 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-26-22, 06:57 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Narrower roads would be safer? Not where I live. Far from all, but many would just speed up to get around you before the oncoming traffic prevents that, take part of he oncoming traffic lane even with oncoming traffic, or, jut squeeze the cyclist between the vehicle and the edge of the road.
Old 05-26-22, 08:56 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Citation needed.

Whoever thinks that has never ridden on narrow roads in NH.

ETA--I looked this up. If I'm not mistaken, the 12 foot vs. 10 foot studies are all on urban roads (e.g., Tokyo and Toronto).. TBH, I don't think these "cues" about acceptable speeds would operate the same way outside of city and town centers.

Yeah, it’s not for the country or roads that are designed for higher speeds. It’s part of Vision Zero for cities.
Anyway, my main point is it’s time to try something different, because what we’re doing now is literally killing and maiming everyone.

A couple of of these are referencing the same study. I looked but couldn’t find any counter argument research (make roads even wider).
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2014-10-06/why-12-foot-traffic-lanes-are-disastrous-for-safety-and-must-be-replaced-now

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/narrower-lanes-fewer-accidents

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/277590178_Narrower_Lanes_Safer_Streets

https://www.thecalifornian.com/story/news/2015/06/14/studies-narrower-lanes-equal-safer-streets/71228318/
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 05-26-22, 09:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by billridesbikes
Yeah, it’s not for the country or roads that are designed for higher speeds. It’s part of Vision Zero for cities.
Anyway, my main point is it’s time to try something different, because what we’re doing now is literally killing and maiming everyone.

A couple of of these are referencing the same study. I looked but couldn’t find any counter argument research (make roads even wider).
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-replaced-now

https://www.cnu.org/publicsquare/nar...ewer-accidents

https://www.researchgate.net/publica..._Safer_Streets

https://www.thecalifornian.com/story...eets/71228318/

Yes, the distinction makes a lot more sense within a city where the width of the lanes might operate as cue whether this is a "busy road" where fast traffic is normal vs. a "residential road" where people are supposed to watch out for kids and the like.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-26-22, 09:36 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
I've taught a few kids how to drive and my main point is the serious consequences of simple mistakes. My fail was my stepdaughter who just didn't get it. After taking the long way around she looks a few steps ahead and has become competent. Glad no one was killed in the process. I'm not seeing the problem with people being reminded to be more responsible for their own safety. I just dont trust others to do it for me.
Old 05-26-22, 04:01 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1531 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Oh please, that's utter nonsense.
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Looking at the google maps link you posted, It's a two-lane road with remarkably wide breakdown lanes. Those are effectively "narrowing" the road. I guess they could put in some ghosties or tank traps to make it dangerous, but that seems like a stretch, "risk compensation" theory carried to an extreme.
Fair enough. I guess this time it was driver error.
Likes For Korina:
Old 05-26-22, 05:39 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
Pardon me, but I really need to get this off my chest, and I can't say it to his face.

What the actual Hell, dude???? You're our city's engineer, you run the Transportation Safety Committee, you know better; hell, you ride a bike, and STILL YOU PUT THE RESPONSIBILITY FOR SAFETY ON BIKE RIDERS AND WALKERS. It's not bad enough that you're comfortable with the 85th percentile rule, but when the local paper interviews you about a woman killed by a distracted driver (i.e. bad infrastructure), YOU REMIND BIKE RIDERS AND WALKERS TO DRESS BRIGHTLY AND LOOK OUT FOR DRIVERS. Do you say a single word to drivers to PAY ATTENTION TO THE ONE AND ONLY JOB THEY HAVE? No. This isn't the first time; you say it EVERY. TIME. You have been called out on this, repeatedly, and STILL you persist. Good gods, what will it take for you to open your eyes??

Okay, I feel a little better. I'm on the Transportation Safety Committee, and I'm not the only one to get peeved when he says/publishes that bull pucky in public and puts our name on it. We've told him, and he said he'd run this stuff by us before publishing it, but I'm not sure how much I believe it.

Her name, by the way, was Jennifer Garcia, and her last act was to push her 2-year-old's stroller out of danger. The driver, a young man, admitted to being distracted, probably on his phone; this means he felt comfortable enough to take his eyes off the road while going down a slope on a blind turn. Bad street design.
Your post reminded me of an example Marshall Rosenberg often gave during his non-violent communication seminars :
ps: The example i'm referring to starts at 21m 21s
Old 05-26-22, 06:11 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1480 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
Narrower roads would be safer? Not where I live. Far from all, but many would just speed up to get around you before the oncoming traffic prevents that, take part of he oncoming traffic lane even with oncoming traffic, or, jut squeeze the cyclist between the vehicle and the edge of the road.
Traffic-calming devices, speed bumps and signs on lawns that say "Slow Down" are meant for drivers like that.
Old 05-30-22, 06:57 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel4
Traffic-calming devices, speed bumps and signs on lawns that say "Slow Down" are meant for drivers like that.
"Take the Lane" can be considered, though that wouldn't help with a driver attending to a cell phone. I support rear-view mirror use as well.
Old 06-02-22, 10:55 PM
tungsten

Bikes: 1962 Cinelli Mod. "B" / 1988 Bailey 531c /2 - '92 Rocky Vertexs' / Obed Baseline / Transition Scout/ Raleigh Willard

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 41 Posts
https://theconversation.com/why-us-c...strians-111713