Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What do i do with 2 spare kryptonite cables?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-22, 03:22 AM
jxpowers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi all,

I currently lock my bike with 2 D-locks, both fitting around the wheel and frame. The purpose is to obviously to secure your front wheel with the cable whilst attached to the Dlock which is securing the back wheel.

Now since i use 2 Dlocks, does that render the cables pretty much useless? Is there anyway i can incorporate them into locking my bike ?

For example would this cause any more faff to a would be bike thief using bolt cutters or angle grinders? My thinking that the cables would possibly get in the way a little? Not really sure. Just thinking out loud. Thoughts?
Old 06-14-22, 06:03 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
In theory you need different tools to deal with a cable (bolt cutters) and a D lock (grinder), so locking a bike to something immovable with both will make it a lot harder and more time consuming to steal.

You may even find that thieves are only carrying one of the tools and thus can't defeat both locks. It's hard to carry both discretely.
Old 06-14-22, 09:44 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
I mean if you are using to low security u-locks like those in an urban area that is better than a cable but not by a huge margin. You could link the locks together and wrap the excess cable around the frame but in the end it really is only a minor theft deterrent and I would look to a better locking system. Adding a bunch of low security locks is maybe slightly more annoying for a thief but when they are more easily defeated it isn't much invest in good quality locks and look at locking skewers or if you don't mind a small bit of weight a nice cafe/frame/wheel lock for the rear and a good folding or u-lock for the frame and front wheel. ABUS makes some great stuff and you can get it all keyed-a-like so instead of having to bring multiple keys you can just have one for all of your locks.
Old 06-15-22, 01:12 AM
jxpowers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean if you are using to low security u-locks like those in an urban area that is better than a cable but not by a huge margin. You could link the locks together and wrap the excess cable around the frame but in the end it really is only a minor theft deterrent and I would look to a better locking system. Adding a bunch of low security locks is maybe slightly more annoying for a thief but when they are more easily defeated it isn't much invest in good quality locks and look at locking skewers or if you don't mind a small bit of weight a nice cafe/frame/wheel lock for the rear and a good folding or u-lock for the frame and front wheel. ABUS makes some great stuff and you can get it all keyed-a-like so instead of having to bring multiple keys you can just have one for all of your locks.
I currently lock my bike in a bike shed that requires pin entry to get in, which is also changed every week, it also has security patrol 24/7.

That being said I am looking at buying 2 kryptonite fahgettaboudit D locks, which is the thickest u lock they offer at 18mm.

Im also wondering if having a chain lock and a D lock is better? Chain links are 10mms

Or 2 of their best D locks?
Old 06-15-22, 10:05 AM
gringomojado

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 86 Posts
tie up Superman?

gm
Old 06-15-22, 07:54 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by jxpowers
Now since i use 2 Dlocks, does that render the cables pretty much useless? Is there anyway i can incorporate them into locking my bike ?
Several decades ago I was in Washingon, DC, and a local was giving me a ride to the airport. We got to his car and he had two of "The Club" steering wheel locks on his car. I asked him why he had two of them and he told me lots of cars were being stolen in DC and many of them had "The Club" steering wheel locks. He said if he had two of them on his steering wheel, he hoped that would discourage thieves, who would move on to another car with only one. If you're concerned about the possibility of bike theft, it would seem that the more locks you are using, the less likely someone will try to steal your bike. So, use them all.
Likes For Random11:
Old 06-16-22, 03:52 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Get a second bike and go back to D-lock+Cable.